my brumby project.

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:55 am

i was down at a swap meet the other week
saw about 3 people selling electronic ignition cheap, maybe somthing to look at??
also i think you used to be able to get build your own kits from jaycar and the like again maybe another possibility

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Well after thinking things through a little more the voice of reason has piped up and i have bought, and stripped a complete ej22 legacy, 280kms so just run in really.... :d but seriously it will be getting a damn good clean and a few new gaskets along with water pump and cambelt (which came free with the car)
So things are starting to move now. First part of the lift is in, going for a 3" lift to begin with on 27" tyres.
Gearbox xmember blocks in place.
Engine xmember blocks in place.
Your doing it wrong..... reduced ground clearance until strut blocks go in (hopefully this weekend.
New motor getting some TLC
New gearbox just waiting...
The carnage....

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 am

progress.

Strut blocks are in, though i have a slight clearance issue with the strut tower, may need to make another set of blocks with less offset between top and bottom mount holes.
Engine and gearbox is in at this point, so it won't be going much lower.
EJ22 and full-time awd gearbox in its final position
Front on shows the slightly positive camber...
So onwards and upwards, still to do:
-fuel pump and wiring/plumbing
-loom
-interior carpets
-rear lift blocks
-rust
-exhaust
-drive-shaft centre bearing mount

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:10 am

isnowi wrote:progress.

Strut blocks are in, though i have a slight clearance issue with the strut tower, may need to make another set of blocks with less offset between top and bottom mount holes.

Front on shows the positive camber...
before you re-make or adjust the strut blocks try putting them in the other way around it may reverse the camber

and for every 25 mm there should be 6-7mm of offset with the offset being towards the motor

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:27 am

Hey mate, thats what i have, 21mm of offset towards the motor for blocks that are 75mm tall, i copied the SJR design (2 peice) the top spring seat is rubbing the strut tower, i had to remove the 2 captive nuts that protrude into the strut tower, but there is still a square blister protruding into the space that may need some more massaging.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:19 am

I've heard usng some L.Series lower front arms fixes that ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 am

Don't really want to pull the lid on that can of worms. Worst comes to worst i'll remove the offending material from the strut tower and plate with flat steel.

Cheers.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Sounds like a lot more work than just changing the arm but your choice bro.

BTW.. the progress is looking good :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:20 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Sounds like a lot more work than just changing the arm but your choice bro.

BTW.. the progress is looking good :mrgreen:
aren't there issues with balljoint angles when using L arms? I expect the inner cv will be reaching towards the limits of it's 'out' travel at droop with L arms as well.

Have you got any links showing l arm fitment?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:28 pm

isnowi wrote:aren't there issues with balljoint angles when using L arms? I expect the inner cv will be reaching towards the limits of it's 'out' travel at droop with L arms as well.

Have you got any links showing l arm fitment?
It has been some time since I did it and I don't have pics but there was never an issue with the inner cv joints (I did have to change cups due to spline size). I also didn't see any issue with the ball joint angle and it had a wheel alignment without any issue. I didn't own the car but the owner never came back with complaints.

Here's an old link...
showthread.php?t=4369

I'm sure there is others out there that have done it.. maybe start a post and see if anyone can reply about any issues they have ever come across.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi mate, I like the seats.

I went with the L series lower control arms to overcome excessive positive camber but had trouble with the inside axle boot fouling on the steering column extension. I then went back to the brumby setup.

Spoke to the subie boys in Gympie about all this. Mine has the three inch lift also but they overcame the positive camber with a 2inch block on the top of the strut instead of 3inch. This allowed the wheel to settle back negatively so to speak,

The problem I had with the L series setup was the hubs. The angle of the strut entry and ball joint is different between the L series and brumby which gave me positive camber. I needed the L series hubs to mount the larger brake setup because I have the EA82 turbo motor. L series brakes won't mount on the brumby hubs. I ended up going back to brumby setup. Wheel track is the same as the back and the wheel sits in the centre of the arch where its supposed to be.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

isnowi

progress

Post by isnowi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 am

Little bit of progress, working on cars is a bit tough at the moment, courtesy of 2 cracked ribs and a bruised up wrist.

Got 4 matched tyres and wheels for the first time in ages..
Still haven't lifted the rear :roll: maybe this weekend.
These fill out the guards a bit better than the old 13's.
In other news my L series centre console is now one colour instead of the 3 it was before (dark grey, light grey, blue) i dyed it all black, came out mint and looks pretty sweet with the dark grey legacy seats and dark grey dash.

Still need to sort some carpets out, i grabbed the one out of the legacy i wrecked to try and modify it to fit, but it looks to have a few too may bulges in it to get it looking good. May bite the bullet and order one.

athurart09

Post by athurart09 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:13 pm

isnowi wrote:Righto bit of progress,

Seats in and working.
Steering wheel in.
Flywheel machined and adaptor plate mounted
In the hole
Plenty of room
Not such a good discovery :-\
Got some of these to play with.

So it's slowly coming together, still trying to track down a dizzy from an early ej18 carbie motor, or else i'll modify the ea82 one i have to fit.

Thanks, for sharing. Good info and pics

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:24 am

Wow page 2, haven't i been slacking.

Anyway, car is now running, at the moment the screen and dash is out for some vital rust repairs, hope to have it all back together by the end of xmas break.

Pics to follow.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:58 am

Yes you have :p

Can't wait to see the pics :) Love those seats :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

The interior is still a way off, need to get all the repair work done and inspected prior to getting it on the road, then i can start on the interior.

I'm not too worried about what it looks like on the outside as long is it is relatively tidy and sound, at the moment the roof is matt black, and the window frames are coated in POR15, will probably top coat them in matt black too.

Spent the day tidying up the engine bay wiring, can't do the interior wiring and final tidy up/positioning of everything until the windscreen and dash are back in.

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 pm

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Righto, got my new radiator sorted, will run twin 10" pusher fans on the front of the rad, one controlled by the ecu, the other via the original brumby fan switch.
Also finished up the mods to the l series console.
Can't wait to get the interior in now.. should look sweet.

isnowi

Post by isnowi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Has been on the back burner for a while, house renovations taking precedence...

But, i have some new front struts and it will be going up another inch in order to accomodate them, also have a new driveshaft, just requires a balance and then it will be almost ready for a cert.
Most recent picture.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 pm

looks perty what size tyres are those ?
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

Return to “My Subi”