Update on my Brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 pm

I continue to be impressed:) Now, we used to fit Holley 350's to 4 litres and above, some would get mild bog down. Yours is less than half that but revs out more - how is it low down take off and stuff? I chose a 465 four barrel for my Ford 250 ci to operate on just primaries for most cases and that was about 230 CFM and was smooth as. 350 not bogging down???

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:04 pm

with the 42 main jets it is 100 % better at not drowning than it was. I would love to fit smaller venturis as well but finding them in Australia will be a mission.

Trust me if you try to use the accelerator like you would in a normal brumby you get a blortal type noise then a giant backfire a very gentle touch is all that is needed to get the car rolling

heres FRANk running

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Looks like we need to cut that gearlinkage down so you can put the console piece the right way around :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:25 pm

nope using the liberty console when you get back (the piece that I left there) so nothing needs to be changed :)

TOONGA

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:12 pm

I missed something here, why is the console back to front??? What transmission is in there??

And the engine looks good, very clean and uncluttered..
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:50 pm

ah yes well spotted the back to front console, I have an AWD 3.7 ratio EJ box with un cut linkages, we had no time to modify them so the shifter sits back futher that the original as the box is longer and the part of the liberty console that would hide the difference is in the workshop in Perth

On a note of extreme frustration while the smaller jets work well with no load as soon as I try to accelerate the holley does its magical trick of making ice and I go nowhere. Im not joking the engine will be at temp and the carby manifold will be ice cold a great party trick if I was running a blow through turbo

so now Ive got to either put in one of the bigger jets and hope it stops the problem (about 10 minutes to do that) or work out a way to plumb hot water around the base of the carby (at least half a day):rolleyes:

TOONGA

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 pm

I knew a very smart diesel engineer that fitted a "hot plate" between the manifold and the carburettor of his HX one tonner, it ran it off the battery and it vapourised pretty much 100% of the fuel that hit it. Not sure how he did it but i thought it might be worth mentioning. It would be better than plumbing water too because you could wire it to come on with ACC and have it heat up before you even start the car.

Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:20 am

TOONGA wrote:ah yes well spotted the back to front console, I have an AWD 3.7 ratio EJ box with un cut linkages, we had no time to modify them so the shifter sits back futher that the original as the box is longer and the part of the liberty console that would hide the difference is in the workshop in Perth

On a note of extreme frustration while the smaller jets work well with no load as soon as I try to accelerate the holley does its magical trick of making ice and I go nowhere. Im not joking the engine will be at temp and the carby manifold will be ice cold a great party trick if I was running a blow through turbo

so now Ive got to either put in one of the bigger jets and hope it stops the problem (about 10 minutes to do that) or work out a way to plumb hot water around the base of the carby (at least half a day):rolleyes:

TOONGA
Cool video Toonga,
Let me know if you need some help finding au rare parts for your holley. For your icing issue could you rig up a warm air intake air filter housing? Pretty common on small aircraft but seems a strange approach considering the temps there. Just a couple thoughts....and im no expert on carbs but I like what your doing:)
Cheers, Mark
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:37 pm

seems Im going to have to work out some sort of warm air intake for winter anyway

people run these carbys on 2 litre gemini's how do they get away with it

I have run some 1/4 inch copper pipe (8-9mm) around the base of the carby which is tapped into the pipes which were used to heat the throttle body, I'm not sure if it will make a difference as well Ive changed one of the jets back to the original and it has made a difference to the car actually being drivable

not sure what to do next maybe something like this

http://www.prachapter34.com/IM002585%5B1%5D.JPG

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:01 pm

TOONGA wrote:people run these carbys on 2 litre gemini's how do they get away with it
More than likely they have modified camshafts as well.. allowing the engine to breathe a hell of a lot more than standard :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 pm

well I know where there are some different duration cams sitting in heads at a workshop do you think EJ18 cams would make it run quicker or not at all

:)

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:36 pm

EJ18 cams would make it worse.. need 2.5 SOHC model if they fit earlier heads :confused:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 pm

I was going to suggest wrap rubber hose - water hose or fuel hose around and around but see you have tried copper tube. What ices up? the fuel? inside carby at the jets?

If you have seen the Diesel LPG systems they use a water hose surrounding the lpg supply line to vapourise it, fitte across the top of the firewall mostly. Almost like you need to warm your fuel before it gets to the holley

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:54 am

I would say the whole holley and manifold needs to be warmed at this time of year (coldest day for a while here in WA apparently 6.4 in Perth 0 in some country areas) and on this engine as well, if I get some time I will run thicker copper tubing (1/2 inch) around the carby and over the manifold as well.

having read nearly everything avialable on the WWW about the 350 holley it seems the power valve as Jack suggested is the biggest culpret here, Im pretty sure Ive got a 5.5 installed most people recomend a 6 or 6.5 to stop the deluge in initial acceleration

I adjusted the float level and the air bleed screws as suggested by the holley literature and the accelerator pump as well it has made a difference but getting from idle to revs can be hit and miss too quick and she stalls but when it runs woooo hooooo 90-100 km/h in second gear

quite a few people suggest throwing holleys in the bin and moving to something less annoying like webers or stombergs this is on v8 engines mind you where holley carburetors are meant to be the best option.

Im going to look around for a weber and some ally plate to make an adaptor but in the mean time Im going to fiddle a bit more with the settings and try to get it to work

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 pm

How about we make a new manifold which suits a Weber? then it's just a case of one afternoon (not all night like some other time :p ) swapping it over :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:46 pm

RSR 555 wrote:How about we make a new manifold which suits a Weber? then it's just a case of one afternoon (not all night like some other time :p ) swapping it over :cool:
that is the other option but it would be more like the whole day (burnt fingers, visitors and photo shoots :)) to get it right

didn't get to the wreckers today Meme decided she wanted to sleep all day,
so I built a new media computer (out of spare parts 4 gig of ram, 512 meg video and a 3.2 ghz prescott E series processor) while I waited for her highness to enrapture me with her presence (Meme is my 1 year old daughter)

TOONGA

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:33 pm

no matter what you use toongs, you need to tune them to get them to run sweet.
air bleeds dont have screws, thats the idle mixtures. air bleeds are on the top face of the carb inside the air cleaner, they are small holes around 1mm.
your idle mix screws need to be at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out, if they out further than this you need to enlarge air bleeds, if they less, you need to make them smaller, unfortunately best way to make them smaller is to drill and tap them to accept small motor jets that can be had in required flow rates ie small enough.
remember that distributor advance curves needs to be tuned as well as vacumn advance rates for excellent cruise economy.
also you need an operational choke, even a manual cable conversion for it etherwise you have to run it rich to let it idle when cold and then it is way to rich when car heats up.
only race cars should have no choke and no distributor advance, because they dont run at part throttle.
persist with your holley cause they are not complex to get them to run good and they are perfect to fiddle with cheaply.
i had a 600 vac sec on a worked 265 hemi, and got 29mpg out of it. it ran at 145km/h on just the primaries.
also as an interest point, 350 and 500cfm 2 barrel holleys are rated at different hg (inches of mercury) to all 4bbl holleys. i think it is that a 465 4bbl is bigger than a 500 2bbl if thay are flowed to the same vacumn level.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 pm

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trk ... Categories

or google holley air bleed tuning.

this book is awesome and somewhere in my collection (dont ask where, as its not in the book shelves)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Super-Tuning-Mod ... 5ada0f5c3f

i think wa library has it too

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:49 am

anyone know where my timing light has disappeared to ?

I was going to play with the timing tomorrow afternoon (after the wreckers)

but it has disappeared in to the maze of stored boxes in the garage

let the search begin

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:12 am

TOONGA wrote:anyone know where my timing light has disappeared to ?

I was going to play with the timing tomorrow afternoon (after the wreckers)

but it has disappeared in to the maze of stored boxes in the garage

let the search begin

TOONGA
God damn.. I've seen your garage and I wish all the world of luck :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”