Finally got pics up of my car. :)

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
subarooster

Finally got pics up of my car. :)

Post by subarooster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm

G'day all,
After reading "someguy"s thread on his L series, i thought it was about time i posted pics up of mine. I bought this back in june 2008, Completely stock, gayy black factory wheels and 235,000 k's on the clock.
Since then its had an array of spotlights, wheels and cd players but now i've got it looking how i like it. Atm its got 14's (bought off Fang) Bullbar ($91 dollars later off ebay), A few different driving lights, 2 1/2" exhaust from bout halfway back with straight thru muffler and roofracks.
This is how it looked when i got it (without the black rims).

And this is how it looks now.

In the very very near future i'm either going weber or EJ, Not to suure atm.
Any suggestions?
Also looking at getting a 2 inch lift and tyre carrier.
Gannon (Suparoo) has helped me alot along the way with fitting tacho dash and shaping, fitting flares.
Anyways just thought i'd post up some pics. :)
Cheers

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

Kappage

Post by Kappage » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Looking good! nice score on the bull bar for $98

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 am

nice bull bar you have there, was that section specially made for spotlights or you got it like that? I've never seen a bull bar like that. Anyway nice ride!
Engine its up to you, if you're good with mechanical knowledge you could convert to EJ. Its a better upgrade bec its cheap to buy, granty than EA cheap to run but job is big.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

scrumpy

Post by scrumpy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:23 am

Good to see my old bullbar back on an L series. I modified it to suit a set of HID's, looks good with the lights you fitted. By the way I still have the weber complete with manifold and gaskets ready to fit. Was a good bolt-on mod, I thought I had sold it but the guy disappeared. Let me know if u are interested.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 am

Nice look mate,
Ls look tough with just rims + flares and in your case + that bullbar.

Doom Buggy

Post by Doom Buggy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am

Hell yeah car looks sweet mate, Just wondering what sort of work is involvd to fit those flares around the wheels ?

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks all :) The flare work is very simple. You can either go to TJM ad get flexi flares for hundreds of dollars or just drop down to clark rubber and ask for wheel arch flaring :) and its ike $4 a metre or sumthing. I'm sure someone has explained how it attach it to the car on the forum sumwhere but basically theres a small flap on rubber that comes out under the top of the flare and it screws into the lip of you wheel arch. haha could probly be explained better but thats the basic idea. :) When i just had the wider wheels on wihout the flaring, everytime i'd go thru mud, there would b mud on the roof, on the back hatch, on the grill. They stop mud flying up onto ur car very well. :)

01' Liberty B4.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 am

Nice looking ride - and an interesting bullbar - very original I think!

As for your answer about power: I converted my L from carbie to MPFI (still EA series motor) and have since then loved EFI. In saying that, if you're good at not being scared off by a pile of messy wiring and can trace wires without too much trouble, are good with a spanner then you should be right in doing the EJ conversion.
I'm currently in the process of tidying up my EJ loom - just got a few wires to label (and find their friends on the L loom) before that big step is sorted - then its just fitting of the wiring correctly and replacing the motor, a few little things under the bonnet have to be changed - radiator ports and engine mounting holes...

I've been told, and have experenced an MY converted to EJ, that this upgrade is the best power upgrade you can do to the L's for the amount of money you spend on it. The price range depends on how much you get the parts for and if you pay someone to do the conversion or you do it entirely yourself.

Either way, look into it, read the forums about it, ask other L and EJ owners what they think. The webber could be a good option for the interim before you get to the EJ stage...

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

username

Post by username » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:01 pm

subarooster wrote: Gannon (Suparoo) has helped me alot along the way with fitting tacho dash
Cheers
Is this very hard to do? I have the Tacho dash from an L but dont have the plugs from the donor car. I've been to a few auto elctricians and they've basically told me i'm a twat and that i'm wasting my time.

Cheers

Jake.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:15 pm

username wrote:Is this very hard to do? I have the Tacho dash from an L but dont have the plugs from the donor car. I've been to a few auto elctricians and they've basically told me i'm a twat and that i'm wasting my time.

Cheers

Jake.
I can't help you for L Series's tacho, but I'm telling you that you have the right for what you wanted in your car and anything is possible and I'm sure someone here can help! And also its worth doing mate!...
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:00 am

username wrote:Is this very hard to do? I have the Tacho dash from an L but dont have the plugs from the donor car. I've been to a few auto elctricians and they've basically told me i'm a twat and that i'm wasting my time.
Defenetly not wasting your time! If you pull out your current dash and compare all the plug wiring you'll find that everything you need is there EXCEPT the 2 wires for the tacho that go to the coil - you'll have to add these, from memory they're yellow and a black with yellow line on the subi's that came from factory with the tacho.

You may have to swap around the wires on the round plugs - not entirely sure about this but do check. The two plugs up top on the dash should just need splicing into eachother - you should (operative word here) have all the same colour wires up there - just a case of matching them up ;)

Good luck with it - all subi wiring looks messy til you get your head around it.

Cheers

Bennie

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm definately wanting an ej, but its the fact of being a first year apprentice and saving up enough cash and that i'll need a car for work everyday while the conversion is in full swing. :( I'm a autoelectrican so the wiring side shouldn't be too bad and as for the tacho dash from memory, the wires should match up colour to colour and i only ran one wire to the negative of the coil? Whether there is meant to be 2? but everything seems to b working on the dash so it may be just so it can handle the current better?
Cheers

01' Liberty B4.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 pm

subarooster wrote:i only ran one wire to the negative of the coil? Whether there is meant to be 2? but everything seems to b working on the dash so it may be just so it can handle the current better?
Or I could be wrong :D The way I did the dash conversion was by swapping the original wiring loom for an MPFI loom when I converted to the MPFI EA82 ;) There's two more wires to the coil when compared to the old non-tacho dash loom...

Cheers

Bennie

username

Post by username » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Cheers heaps, i'll have to give it crack when i get some time and some patience. Yeah, its hard trying to find where to start with the diagrams and wires when you have only a very basic idea of whats sort of ish going on.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers.

RX Coupe

Post by RX Coupe » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:41 pm

I fitted an import full instrumentation dash (oil, volt etc) from an imort RX Turbo into my old 93 L series wagon. changed the wiring loom for a touring wagon one. The car then spent a week at an auto electrician getting the plugs and a few other things sorted.

Cheers,
Cars: 02 Subaru Outback
85 Subaru RX Turbo Coupe (sold)
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

username

Post by username » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Im going to attempt putting the dash in this weekend.

Can anyone confirm what El Freddo has said? just matching the wires colours to each other?

I'm also chasing diagrams if anyone has them, i've tried downloading the workshop manuals from a few different places but no bingo.

Cheers,

Jake

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:08 pm

That's only for the centre panel to display 4wd etc. You can make an adaptor piece by cutting the plugs off a DL (3 guage) dash and a touring wagon's wiring loom where they plug into the top of the dash. Then simply match wire colours then plug and play. There *should* be the same number of wires. Although I have not done this conversion it should be relatively easy.

The swapping of the round plugs should keep you on your toes as well from what I've read... I did the "easy" thing be swapping to an MPFI touring wagon loom from one end to the other!

Cheers

Bennie

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:54 pm

yeah somone needs to do a write up on fitting a tacho.

hopfully i get what need from the new wreck adn were sweet

username

Post by username » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:55 pm

dash and new wheel are in, pics and a bit of write up soon

cheers,

jake.

Return to “My Subi”