jacks brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 pm

tribeca 3.7 with twin wrx turbos.
I think you would have to extend the front to get it to fit either that or move the firewall back

or turn a forrester into a brumby:) it would fit then

so when do we get pics?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 pm

wrxer wrote:have had rocker cover off wrx fixing oil leak, bit tight in there. anyway, got im finished and took him for a run to see if fixed good and proper. anyways, give her a bit away from the lights in 1 and 2nd and just as i back off into 3rd, i see a skyline couple cars back decide to give a bit of a chase. so i let him catch a bit then give it in 3rd, as the big td05 kicks in, i feeling good, but the skyline is closing in and with a almighty bellow he is past me and away. OMFG how fast is that? he was way more grunty than me!
I guess the real moral of the story is to drop it down a gear and make the most of the rev limiter BEFORE the skyline is able to build its momentum before you... I did the same with a new Navara in the wet - not quite the same as yours though...

Better luck next time!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 pm

finished right side chassis rail mods, removed sparewheel holder, changed gearbox stay mount bolt around and will reinforce the mount, will prob stitch mount in as plenty seem to pull themselves off the firewall, must look at subyboys lovely80resto and see what they did. motor is finished with timing belt fitted and plastics installed.
scored some gtir nissan guages, these are single din jobbies that fit in standard radio hole, mine have oil temp, oil pressure, and boost, have to sort some senders out and bonus they are white face with red needles, so the same as the wrx gauges.
as aside, finished hid install on outback, it now has gt lights with 35w 6000k low beam and 55w 4300k high beam. as alpine raver says the 4300k are better than 6000k having better penetration. will have to look into low beam staying on when high beam is used cause they take little bit to fire up.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:38 pm

not much happened this week. double flared the brake lines to suit wrx master cylinder. popped motor back in and hacked up a 3in down pipe to fit. is close but have to change the screamer pipe from the wastegate as it runs in the same place as the steering knuckle. such is life.
finished gbox stay, its pretty good too, thanks to lovely80 pics i have done similar.
also pulled off the underdrive pulleys from the wrx and put em on the brumbys motor.
got my tax finished, should just wait for the return and buy a converted brumby!
back to work for a week, hopefully get bit more done next week

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 pm

on hold for the week at least. the outback has spat a head gasket, so its motor out for that one, and also the thrust bearing needs doing and might as well throw a clutch plate in as well as the pedal is a bit low. also an inlet valve was showing 5% leakage so i can lap the valves while im there
fortunately i brought in a top overhaul kit for a 2.5 dohc last month so i got head gaskets.
unfortunately, i wanted to put wrx heads and turbo on it too, but cant leave it off the road for that period of time, so maybe next time

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14 pm

motor is out of outback, havent got heads off yet to survey damage, but oil smells pretty cooked, i hope rings are ok. in law was driving so dont know how hot it got. time will tell!
till next week, caio

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:45 pm

just trying to finish the outback so ii can get back to brumby. outback motor fixed and ready to drop back in. my leakdown tester shows all good and sealed. am thinking of selling it tho as mrs has bad arm and needs auto, even tho i hate the power sapping lumps may have to give in and get a slushbox. made a post to get info on manual to auto swap, but sounds maybe easier to get another.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:22 pm

those new slush boxes are pretty good compared to the old 3 speed traumatic that the kingswoods were doomed with

hope the motor in the outback is ok

and when do we get more pics of the brumby

TOONGA

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 pm

no changes with brumby.
outback motor started ok and sounds good, but awful squealing noise from back of motor, appears to be pilot bearing in flywheel even though i replaced it while it was apart, must be something wrong.

must..... pull..... gearbox...... out.....

at least its a reasonable height off the ground to begin with.
i see it needs a inner left cv boot too. awesome...

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:41 am

outback is fixed, problem was a cracked radiator tank that caused the head gasket to go. squealing noise was the flywheel cover caught by gearbox when putting motor in and it bent and was rubbing on the flywheel teeth.
traded outback on 05 hyundai tucson. hope i dont have to fix that thing too often. mrs is happy and thats most important.
brumby wont get a look in till aften new year now. thats the first 6 months!

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 pm

changing jobs now, so back to the old 4/1 roster. brumby tarped up and on the backburner for now. must change clutch on wrx so can sell it and will ride the big 900 ninja on the short time off we get.
mrs' tuscon is all good although it is a bit hot on juice, with the average hovering around the 14.5 l/100km. told her autos were thirsty!
our quocka paper had a ttop brumby for $1900 unlicensed other week, wish i had room.
also, my local tv repairer has a hornet with a seized v8 (chev 350). wish i had room for that one too.
too many cars, not enough room or time.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 pm

wrxer wrote:too many cars, not enough room or time.
I know that feeling. But in my case also add not enough money :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:20 pm

just to bump me ttt.
brumby still under wraps, wrx has the new clutch finished and i can conclude that i wont get a button clutch or advise anyone to get one.
changed jobs again, now on 3x1 at cape preston, south of karratha

silusboy

Post by silusboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey WRXER,

can you show us any more photos on that good looking dash and maybe some tips.

Cheers

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:42 pm

still 3x1 at cape preston, wrx should sell in the next week or so.....
then the brumby can come inside out of the weather.
only prob is that i bought a proton ute at hail damaged auction other day, going to really try to leave it stock, but i know the 4g63 mitsubishi (evo 1-3) goes in, and the rumor that a 6a13 (2.5ish? litre, mitsubishi vr4/ legnum v6 twin turbo goes in, can we get the rear diff in too, so its 4wd?) woo hoo!!!

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:08 pm

back to work, back at end of september. toys can wait till then
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it works, pull it apart to see why.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

found a better brumby as a start point so gunna pull all the goodies from one and into the other.
so if you want a brumby that the body has notched rails and gearbox members are sorted look in for sale section.
here we go again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jordy

Post by jordy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm

im having problems with my camber on my brumby ive lifted it up 2 inches and its got a really bad positive camber and it chewing the crap out of the outside edge of my tyre any suggestions?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm

jordy wrote:im having problems with my camber on my brumby ive lifted it up 2 inches and its got a really bad positive camber and it chewing the crap out of the outside edge of my tyre any suggestions?
Jordy you may have put the strut tops for the kit in the wrong way the offset on the struts tops should go towards the engine

remember for every 25mm you need 6-7mm of offset so 12 -14mm of offset on a 2 inch lift

TOONGA

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:14 am

hi guys, havent been on here for 12 months or so, i see niterida is making huge progress on the brumby. i dont think it could have gone to a more ingenious guy
showthread.php?t=18388

as for me, i still have a targa brumby and a heap of sti gear for it. it down south at oldies place. i have been playing with a jumbuck that i have put a gsr engine and gear box in. the box is locked in fwd for now, but am putting a au xr8 lsd rear axle in.
am building a 2.4 dohc for it as well, with a gt30 turbo from a xr6. i should crack 11sec 1/4 times pretty easy for a daily driver.
link to jummy here, but you have to sign up to get the pics:
http://www.4gtuner.com/topic/17292-jumbuck-gsr-ftw/

also getting rid of a ea81 and d/r gearbox cheap for you guys here:
vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=1805
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”