jacks brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
wrxer

jacks brumby

Post by wrxer » Sat May 30, 2009 11:04 am

hi all, am new here, but have several subaru, i have 97wrx wagon with plenty of work, mrs has 2.5 gen2 outback with cai and 3in exhaust. and reason im here, is the brumby. i got a smashed my99 wrx a while back and stripped it with the intention of selling motor and box complete with loom. on looking around and seeing wrx/brumby i knew i would like to have one. the clincher was selling the excel so now i have the budget.

so will have ea81 for sale in wa soon as i test it.
chasing pass window for brumby
chasing wiring diag for my99 and brumby, or leads and links.
also, can i say that without this site i wouldnt have tried the conversion, so thanks to those that have put in the my conversion pics.

neighbours are up, so its time to start the grinder!

jack

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat May 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Brumby Manual Here- http://www.ch601.org/engines/files/S...viceManual.zip
Liberty / Outback / Forester here - http://pdftown.com/Pdf-eBook/Subaru.html?from=0

That should help out a bit... :-)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 30, 2009 10:59 pm

Good luck on the conversion! Keep the pics coming as you do the build!
wrxer wrote:neighbours are up, so its time to start the grinder!
And this is the reason I love living outta town... I can't see my nearest neighbours :twisted: Growing up outta town didn't help with moving into town for uni though...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Good luck on the conversion! Keep the pics coming as you do the build!

And this is the reason I love living outta town... I can't see my nearest neighbours :twisted: Growing up outta town didn't help with moving into town for uni though...

Cheers

Bennie
Oh yeah that is the best thing living in the country as you can make as much noises anytime! I used to get pissed off with nextdoors at 730pm after grinding or drilling or welding and they'll complain!!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun May 31, 2009 1:09 am

brumby manual link doesnt work matt, is close tho.
http://www.ch601.org/engines/files/Suba ... Manual.zip
maybe they moved it. rest is good tho, why is it not mentioned that the ej20 plus 5sp wont lift in together, or maybe i not trying hard enough.
chassis and x member chopped to size is about all today, tomorrow will lower x member,advise is 1 inch will measure anyway

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 am

It a link directly to the zip file, just click save. :-) It worked for me just then. Can someone else try it?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 am

yea, now works for me too. is awesome ea81 engine manual, but no brumby wiring, so still chasing if some one has.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 pm

dropped chassis rail 1.5 inches, turbo fits under master cylinder now. trimming of chassis and cross member finished, will fit gbox to motor to see what we cen do regards gbox member. hope will be no negatives with lowering xmember that far, as will prob lower brumby as well around 4in. lower arms will prob be flat.
jack

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:16 pm

showthread.php?t=7361

brumby wireing
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:52 am

work has called so we off to the bush for a couple weeks, pushed brumby into corner. did leakdown test on wrx motor and looks like passenger side head needs lifting as badly leaky exhaust valves. when i took belt cover off motor has 1 alloy gear on inlet side,the rest are plastic. maybe donk has been damagedand repaired previously. thanks matt for link, i should have looked there.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:55 am

have got a engineer, he has been around. all looks good, continue he said.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:18 pm

what steering rack fits?
spent the day on brakes and clutch master cylinders, using wrx master cylinder, wrx booster dont fit, so used brumby one, clashes at vacumn pipe so was going to run booster upside down, but you can bend pipe out the way. did the accellerator cable while there, just ground oval hole so wrx one twists and locks in. there is spacer behind booster so i milled that at angle (hacksaw and file) to push master cylinder up and towards strut to get away from turbo. clutch pedal is drama, using wrx pedal box, have to bend and shorten pedal. holes in firewall need to be low enough to clear spring on pedal that rises up when pedal is depressed. phew, big day.
looking at threads is a bit unclear. i going to use impressa struts, hubs, discs and l series lower control arms which is well documented, but are the wrx drive shafts the right ones, and i want to use wrx power steering rack which apparently bolts in (lowered xmember) but is it to wide for lseries arms? and is bump steer affected?

looked harder and threads reckon wrx rack is ok. will find out soon enough

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:11 am

got the wrx seats in, cut bracket off old steering column and welded to imprezza one, modded wrx guages to fit behind brumby glass. looks ok but needs neatening up, getting a laser cut piece of stainless to go in. used heat gun on dash panel to remove brumby light/wiper switches, need another go at that tho. clutch pedal is in and good with holes patched in fire wall. looks good pics coming.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:28 pm

do you still need a passenger window as i have one but Im in Australind so you would have to be prepared to come get it it will only cost you your fuel and time

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:33 am

thankyou. pm'ed

kndkris

Post by kndkris » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:37 am

Hey mate, the ea81 from that brumby still running? Im chasing one

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:58 pm

never even started it, just ripped it out. have been meaning to test it and will do it tomorrow. didnt have much water in it, but water pump intake is corroded, and had a heap of oil on outside of motor but oil filter was real loose, so maybe ok. was 280 thou on speedo, and plenty of used picks under the seat

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 pm

motor continues to be in an out. got shifter bracket done and gbox member is close. used part of wrx one and included the rubber chassis isolators. next is exhaust and rear diff. would have been better to have mounted clutch clyinder higher as would have more room for exhaust. see how we go.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 pm

ust wanted to share some info back cauce of all i have learnt from this site, so have had a go at attaching pics of how i did the gbox member for my brumby. i utilised part of a wrx/liberty member and redrilled to fit onto gbox rubber isolators. then burred out the end holes to suit the other isolators that wrx/libs use. finally welding sume cut down rhs onto underbody pieces, and tacking bolts and nuts on top.
gearbox is low enough for shifter to clear tailshaft too.
pics here
showthread.php?t=14543

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 pm

also pis of the spacer behind master cylinder to offset cylinder up and over towards strut and away from turboImage album.php?albumid=24&pictureid=156

Return to “My Subi”