Update on my Brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:08 pm

What are those extractors like over the factory Y pipe? Not that I'm going to get a set, just curious! Do you lose some ground clearance in front of the sump from these?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Bennie this is how they sit on PJ

they cover the sump at the front, and sit slightly lower at the side they run down to the back of the engine.

The headers don't have any scrape marks on them (thankfully)

as for performance no idea, I put them on as the factory Y pipe never fitted as it hit the crossmember even with the heat sheilds taken off.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:25 pm

I went to leave work at 12.30 am last night my brumby started fine drove 10 feet and stalled ... so I turned the key and nothing no power no t even a clicking starter ... WTF full power at accessories turn the key nothing ???

I got one of the guys I was working with to give me a jump start ... nothing

I checked every related fuse and the fusable links even the wire from the battery to the fusable links which broke off in my hands a new fitting and I had power again ... problem solved ... turn the key click then darkness no power at all ... WTF... WTF ... WTF.

by this tim it was close to 1am, a security guard had stopped and had let me use his billion watt torch to see under the bonnet, he offered to dropp me at the motel so I could get some sleep the try in the morning so we pushed the car to a proper parking space and I went to the motel and went to sleep.

I walked back to the car after breakfast and started checking everything , I mean everything ignition barrel, fuses relays fusable links again, I even sent Subarino an SMS and told him of my problem while I was waiting for a reply from him I checked the battery cables again.

the positive was great, the negative broke off in my hand arrrrgh... just then I get and SMS from Subarino, a list of thing to check and... probably battery leads ... was the gist of the message (thanks for taking the time to have an SMS diagnostic Dave :) )

I repair that ... good to go BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
still no dice I try again and sparks come from the end of the negative lead that wasn't repaired. I get a jumper lead (Daves suggestion) and use it to earth the engine she cranks straight away. so I drove home with a jumper lead coiled through the engine bay.

I cleaned the ends of the negative lead once I was at home, greased them put the lead back in place and for good measure put another earth lead to the engine. now I have instant start.

what a fubar that was

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 pm

think i am gonna go out and find my spare power and earth leads and double up under every bonnet

Does Dave do SMS invoices yet ? :D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 am

Im sure Dave will be reimbursed for his help via SMS, and yes an extra earth lead for the body and for the engine makes for more wiring but a greater piece of mind.

TOONGA

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Time for a bull bar update

this is the titanic bull-bar, 50kg+ of steel

a side view of how it sits on PJ

the new improved side view, note the extra inch of height (Irvin bull bar from an 83 wagon at the local wreckers)

how PJ looks now mmmmmm... bull bar needs polishing or painting black

the titanic sitting in the pastures waiting for a new owner, any takers?

pros: will act as an earth moving implement, scares the crap out of anything and anyone at a roundabout, 99.999999% chance of surviving any impact, can be used for weight training during installation. keeps front end down at high speed

cons: weight, will cost you an extra litre per 100km to lug this beauty around,
encapsulated nut and subframe failure assured in event of any high velocity impact, shin and knee damage if walked into. top speed reduced by weight of bull bar

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:03 pm

TOONGA wrote: will act as an earth moving implement
Will it require a heavy machinary licence to drive with this on the front of your brumby or MY? :P

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Not in WA, but hey if you want to pay the 4.5 billion sheckles to ship it, you can have it for what it cost me :)

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Maybe fit up a pair of Goliaths gate hinges and stick it at the head of your driveway :) Shed about 35kg there me thinks

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 pm

IMO the black one looked better up front and if you're worried about weight.. well maybe it's diet time bro :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

RSR 555 wrote:IMO the black one looked better up front and if you're worried about weight.. well maybe it's diet time bro :p
You go on a diet first and I will go on one after you :)

I like the way this one gives me back my suspension, it is a pity the black one isn't alloy as it would still be on the brumby.

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:06 am

surely a can of matt /flat black will fix the apearance thing?

Post by 60766244 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

(New to the forum here)

If I hadn't just gone to all the trouble to respray and fix all the corrosion on a usual alloy brumby bar I'd be tempted on it!

Calling MTB92 and Nigel! ;)

That looks like a sweet bar though!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am

After a lightening visit to RSRs workshop I now have 99% less oil leaks on my engine. I've known for a while that the crank pulley was dodgy and that the seal behind it was stuffed. Thanks for the help guys:)

So I purchased this kit from ebay, mine was about 10 dollars cheaper than this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNDERDRIVE-C ... 3f20637d87

apparently it makes 5-10 extra horsepower ... (ok?)

I had the seals from one of the headgasket adventures with frank. so during the hottest part of yesterday (of course) I pulled the front of my brumby apart ( with a few questions for RSR, like where are all your tools :) ) and proceeded to replace the crank seal.

If you do ever do this to your engine get make sure you get the smaller alternator belt as well (thanks Again for that Paul)

now all I need to do is fix the power steering return line leak and the distributor seal leak and i will have 99.9% of the leaks fixed :)

I can post a picture of the pulleys in place if needed but there were none taken at the time as I was a stream of sweat.

TOONGA

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 am

Cool, can you please post a pic of it on mate...
I have a lightweight crank pulley on my foz. Makes a difference but the.car.still does 0-100 in 21 seconds :(

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 am

Taza this is the best I can do until photobucket decides it will get over its beta testing stage. talk about take a good hosting site and "F" it up.

the biggest advantage these pulleys have, is that I can now fit a 10" thermo fan on the engine side of the radiator.

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:09 pm

TOONGA wrote:the biggest advantage these pulleys have, is that I can now fit a 10" thermo fan on the engine side of the radiator.
This is due to the undersized diametre of the pulley correct?

And is the alternator pulley undersized as well so it's still spinning as quick as it needs to be?

Have you noticed a performance gain?

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm waiting on the supercharger addition - is it happening Jules ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm

steptoe wrote:I'm waiting on the supercharger addition - is it happening Jules ?
Yes slowly but surely ... I need access to welding equipment to fabricate intake parts and supercharger flanges ... and about a week of free time to do this correctly... this is before we even mock up the supercharger mounted on the engine.
El_Freddo wrote:This is due to the undersized diametre of the pulley correct?

And is the alternator pulley undersized as well so it's still spinning as quick as it needs to be?

Have you noticed a performance gain?

Cheers

Bennie
No noticable performance gain, (she is too damn fast anyway:) ) the alternator pulley is undersize to match the undersize crank pulley, and because the crank pulley is about half the size of a standard pulley, there is more room at the front right side of the radiator under the PS pulley.

TOONGA

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 pm

So today I found my vortex shockies in the shed they didn't work on the vortex as a coil has been cut from them making them too short.

They fit just fine on the brumby and with the torsion bar backed off they make for a nice ride.

The back sits the same as it did before but will now take a bit more weight :)

Which comes in handy when I have to cart wood around :)

TOONGA

Return to “My Subi”