EJ20G Leone RX Rally Car

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
subius

Post by subius » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 am

ah righto. I thought you were referring to the spring hitting the strut tower as that was the issue I was having.

As you say, the different spring probably isn't going to help you in this instance.

I don't know if the impreza struts would have a smaller spring seat but my guess would be they are the same.

how much do they hit by? could you tighten the radius rods a bit and pull the whole lot back a bit?
89 L wagon: twin carbs, kings, kybs, 2" lift, rear discs, clutch lsd, L awd box, Kumho KL71 27s
85 Vortex: ej20 G, awd, 5 stud, 17's, almost on the road!
88 Bush basher L wagon: Welded rear diff
MY10 GEN5 Outback: white, and completely normal

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Sorry Gannon, I PM'd you a reply before realising you had posted here, but for anyone reading this thread...

I went straight to coilover suspension so did not have this issue - you could redrill the top mounts if you have enough clearance at the top of the strut back (this would need a new plate on the top) or shorten the radius rod to reduce castor - neither is desirable really.
If you are keen on the rally route then suspension is top of the list anyway so save your coins and find a set of 40mm bilstein donor struts then have them converted to coilovers - this cost me about NZ$4k to do all corners so not cheap.
85 Leone RX EJ20T Rally Car - plus spare rolling shell
91 Facelift 2.2 GX 4WD Legacy - SOLD
96 RSB Legacy

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:49 pm

I cant believe nobody has had this issue before. Surely somebody has fitted a 5 stud kit with factory suspension without a lift kit before?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:05 pm

lump hammer mate. I had to "realign" my rear wheel wells by about 10mm when I lifted my car.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Gannon wrote:my current issue is the front liberty struts that are striking on the inside of the strut tower. Did you have this issue?

Here is a link to my photo album
My Car Photos
How long have you kept this to yourself G? There aren't too many women in here, you coulda shared it with us

Is it possible your radius rod bushes are squished and new would relocate the spring seat forward just enough to clear?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Nah it has to come back, not foward. That photo is of the front left strut.

I made a thread about this a few months back and got no replies.
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

Everyone I know of who's done the 5 stud conversion has had issues with spring seats fouling on the strut towers, they are simply too big a diameter.

I guess this conversion has been around for so long now that everyone just takes it as par for the course.

Simplest (cheapest) way is to get the EJ struts, get the innards gutted to fit an insert, but before the insert is fitted, either get a coilover sleeve fitted, or the L series lower spring seat welded on.

Next step up is just go for coilovers.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 am

How did you do the hydro clutch conversion?
I've seen some bad ones. I bought a project which already had it done by welding on a piece onto the L series clutch pedal which then pushed on the master cylinder. Was mis-aligned and hideously heavy.

We're now putting that engine/box combo into a Vortex and scratching our heads how to do it better.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:06 pm

wagonist wrote:How did you do the hydro clutch conversion?
I've seen some bad ones. I bought a project which already had it done by welding on a piece onto the L series clutch pedal which then pushed on the master cylinder. Was mis-aligned and hideously heavy.

We're now putting that engine/box combo into a Vortex and scratching our heads how to do it better.
See my build thread here showthread.php?t=8938
I used a full Legacy clutch setup.
1st page shows the legacy master cylinder and the new sheetmetal box I made to fit the mechanism up as high as I wanted it. This just took up space in the old spare wheel well.
You have to modify the firewall with a double sheet metal layer to make it strong enough and modify the top mounts under the dash and shorten the pedal - so a bit of stuffing around.
96 RSB Legacy

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Can anyone say "rebuild"...... time for some cancer removal and a new drive train me thinks......
96 RSB Legacy

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:10 pm

ToyRX wrote:Can anyone say "rebuild"...... time for some cancer removal and a new drive train me thinks......
Is there meant to be a pic attached to the above post??

It doesn't really make much sense otherwise...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

I dont want to clog your thread, but I thought I might clear up for others reading the thread that I solved my front suspension issue.

Impreza front struts have the same size coil diameter as Liberty, but the lower spring seat is offset more to the rear, thus solving my clearance issue.

I have a set of Gen3 Bilsteins I want to try to fit to it when I get a chance

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:48 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Is there meant to be a pic attached to the above post??

It doesn't really make much sense otherwise...

Cheers

Bennie
haha - pics coming next week, car is stripped back and being panel beaten into shape...
Have a V4 engine, V5 RA DCCD Gbag and new R160 4.44 CLSD rear diff to go in and replace the Legacy running gear...
96 RSB Legacy

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:22 pm

ToyRX wrote:haha - pics coming next week, car is stripped back and being panel beaten into shape...
History repeating? I remember this being rolled before, or was it re-shelled? I'm not sure which one it is now...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “My Subi”