My Vortex Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
spike
General Member

Post by spike » Tue May 11, 2010 12:07 pm

ok maybe i can answer a few questions
fist off
how mechanically minded are you jonny?? it "seems" to me that you do this as a hobby and dont know everything about subarus or cars in general sorry if you consider yourself an anorak
the wrx drivetrain is the gearbox and diffs and all other associated stuff out of the more modern subaru wrx it does very little but its newer, it also has some perks but yeah in my opinion not that nessasary.

in your first picture you can see the window winder im not sure if you know it, hence why i asked if your a mechanic or such, its the black and silver thing the the middle of the car and the base of the windscreen, normally it would have 3 bolts on the silver bit and the black is just sitting there, it is connected to the windscreen wiper mechanism by a splined joint possilby with a circlip.

rear seat could be tricky as i havent done it in a vortex, if your seats fold down try adn take them out peice by peice, the l series ones, the bottom part tilts forwards and you can unbolt it from there.

you mean to say the leads wont reach or that they dont fit the terminals??
get a battery that fits the clamp and the terminals are the right size usually a battery shop can help.

it depends what your going to do. id suggest keeping it at standard boost unless your going to race the thing or build a monster out of it
thankyou
spike

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks spike, yer this car is just a hobby and I don't know too much about mechanics, but I would like to learn how to fix these things slowly. With the MBC i was just thinking of getting a little bit more boost out of the car but I guess I'll be wasting my money if I got one. As for the seats, they don't fold down so I'll just keep looking for the clips to take them off.

Thanks again
Johnny T

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

i dont think their clipped in
i think their bolted, maybe from the boot??
i think atm it would be a waste, if you accidently wind the boost up too hard then you blow the engine then your out of pocket

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 pm

yep, while you remain a novice car enthusiast tinker with what you have without thinking about the power upgrade using EJ series engines from later Subies. You have an EA82T with a stuck thermostat. If temp gauge went to red - be thankful that you know temp gauge works above quarter. Mine did not and believe this is why the previous owner traded it in, to then go to wreckers and then my backyard for 18 months before I got to drive and play.

PLay with that first. The wipers may not work due to a blown fuse perhaps? Wiper switch dodgy or maybe they are just frozen/ rusted from no use long term. Maybe not try a boost controller to up boost pressure just yet.

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 am

I have thought about the EJ20tt engine if i can find a half cut with all the parts I need, with the wiper motor I've checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine so i'll check for rust and the switch :) [Thanks for the advice steptoe].
One of my m8's told me I should get a inter-cooler for the car as-well but will it do my car any good / is it worth the hassle because I'm not sure if its worth getting cos the car is stock as a rock.

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

you will be biting off a LOT more than you can chew if you do teh EJ20HD or EJ20R route. the plumbing on those is a nightmare and the wiring is not that much better.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline
1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4

2006 Holden Combo - work van :)

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed May 12, 2010 1:09 pm

hmmm i like the idea of the intercooler a bit more custom piping but yeah it would be a good start i spose, i must say that although the first thing people do is build an engine that pulls 700hp at 10 000 rpm redline its a waste
start with a car that can handle the power, im sugesting upgraded brakes and suspension??

btw jonny what age bracket are you in??

if you want to learn to drive hard learn to drive slowley, learn car control and the like.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 pm

I'd say continue to learn with what you have and with that knowledge you can move on from there.

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the help guys, i'll keep you updated on what im doing this weekend on the car (depending on weather) and when i get stuck again i'll let you guys know

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:18 am

Hey everyone, its been awhile since I've done some stuff to my pride and joy, I finally got my fuel pump (took 2 months to come in but it was worth the wait) and now i just have to find some time to put it in.
While i was waiting for the pump to come in I got a bit board and started to work on the interior, I'll show photo's when everything is complete (don't want to say too much because I'm keeping that a surprise)

I have a quick question (hopefully its easy) I would like to know if somebody can tell me how to take off the rear pascal shelf out of the car (where the rear speakers are), (not sure if i spelled that correctly so theres a picture below :) )

As for the engine and important stuff, the car is still not running yet, but within the next month or two I'll be putting the pump in and doing all of mechanical work with a lot of help from everyone and I'll keep you guys posted with heaps of pics and stuff.

So if anyone can help me out with that question about removing the rear pascal shelf that would be great :)

Thanks everyone and I'll keep you posted

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Remove the back seat then lift the board/shelf upwards.. it has some plastic pop clips so be careful. I use a long flathead screwdriver and lever it up.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks for the help m8, i'll let you know how it goes, but how do i remove the rear seat?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:49 pm

If Vortex is like L Serie sedans there will screws or bolts at the base of seat bit you sit on, either side of hump and out a bit, undo them, flip up and out the seat base and see if there is a way to remove seat backs a bit to release parcel shelf, may need a bend in the guts to clear each end of trim etc

H-top

Post by H-top » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 pm

you need to remove the rear inner trim with the pockets in it to get to the bolts.

but first you need to remove the upper seat belt, and other trim bits to access it.

of stripping the entire interior. the rear seat is that last big piece u can pull out.

sorry for the bad news.

good luck
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks for the info guys, yer sounds like fun lol, yer the interior is completely out expect that rear seat, (had to remove it cos the sun roof has a leak and not sure how to fix that yet, but I'll deferentially give that a shot, just have to remember when I take out the bolts i gotta keep them labeled so i know where they go back. After I take out the rear shelf and fix it up is it easy to put back in?

As for the bad news H-Top there's a lot more coming after this is done lol

olddog642

Bolts

Post by olddog642 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 pm

To save loosing bolts or not being sure where they belong I generally put them back in the hole after taking out whatever they secured.
Hylton:twisted:
Ps I know it is more work but a lot quicker than trying to find them later.

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Yer thats a good idea olddog, i'll defently remember that :)
well long story short, couldn't take out the rear passel self cos my car was drenched in the inside because the sunroof leaked and rear interior (there just behind the doors), so now i got another problem on my hands, so just a quick question for everyone out there, how do i fix the leak in the sunroof and rear interior leaks.
Thanks for the help again guys, i really appreciate it and sorry to ask a lot of questions again and again :P

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Forgive my jovial response in advance:rolleyes:. Throw a tarp over the beast.

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 pm

lol yer gonna have to invest in a new 1, last 1 i had on it had a few holes and i didn't take the cover off for a month, the interior had a lot of mold on it, so yer that;s a good temp fix though lol

coupe

water water everywhere

Post by coupe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:15 pm

hi
Take out the sun roof, there are 4 holes, one in each corner you need to blow them out,
They have tubes that lead to the bottom of the car and are the main reason they start leaking, you can get replacement frames but they are expensive. you can take out and repair the frame but its a big job. i will post some pics tomorrow.
Cheers Pete
Use The Fork Luke

Return to “My Subi”