Venom: H6 Gen2 Liberty GX

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Venom
General Member

Venom: H6 Gen2 Liberty GX

Post by Venom » Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Hey guys,

This car = mine :cool:

I bought this about 6 weeks ago in March. Flew up to Al's place in QLD and drove it back to Victoria with my girlfriend co-driving. Pit-stop at Bennies to show off on the way back of course. I finally got the car registered yesterday. I had a month wait to get into the engineers, which was worth it. Only changes required were a padded steering wheel and a quieter muffler, easy :D I had to change to stock shocks and springs for the RWC which i wasn't happy about because they were engineered.

Current specs are:
2003 Outback H6
V3 STI gearbox
4.44 ratio diffs
Rear LSD
277mm WRX front brakes

Fuel use has so far averaged 9.53L/100km over 5 tanks of fuel. It is very efficient on the highway and around town if driven appropriately.

Plan is to build this into an off-roader.

Look familiar? Yes it should.

Complete intake.

More to come, just had to share.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed May 05, 2010 2:18 pm

New pictures. Car is now lifted with a 2" Crossbred lift kit, new KYB outback struts and standard height springs, WRX rims and 215/65/16 Dunlop AT3s, crossbred front and rear bash plates. It is much nicer to drive around town with the extra suspension, and the taller gearing makes it easier to drive too.

New wheels look good but they act like shovels almost and scoop up sh1tloads of mud when going through ruts. Had to stop and cleam them up with a stick at one point in the Otways becaue i could go over 60km/h.

I needed new top and bottom radiator hoses after the lift went in. The "stock" ones were either very short or at the limit in terms of bending. Ended up cutting down holden V8 hoses for both top and bottom and the result was perfect fit for both. I also had to grind down the thermo fan bracket which started fouling on the stainless pipework for the radiator piping.

H6 looks sexy.

Rear diff protector is like 4 or 5mm steel. Very strong. Required some cutting to get it to fit but overall shape was correct.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed May 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Dunlop AT3s. Quiet, good grip on the road in the west and dry and also did a very good job of shedding mud in the otways. They were also the cheapest 215/65/16s i could get.

Front bash plate covers the full width under the car between the tow points. Also folds up around the sides. Required some cutting around the headers.

I am very happy with the quality of the gear i bought from Crossbred. Lift kit is very solid, no welding for the steering extension which will make future engineering easier. Also came labelled, with a layout of where everything goes. Bash plates are solid and didn't take too much work to fit. Front would have been fine if it wasn't for the H6 headers. I would definitely recommended Crossbred to anyone else as first choice for lift kit, bash plates etc. I also didn't have to pay untill everything was made, packed and ready to send. Jeff was also very helpfull and quick to respond to my emails/ questions etc.

Result of all the work done is AWESOME. Car tore up the Otways, mud, sand etc with no problems. At this point in time i don't even see the need to a dual range, although it will happen at some point. I'm very happy with my purchase and the move away from the L series. After all of my research Gen2 Lib seemed the best way to go in terms of a newer Subaru while still keeping the best potential for an off-roader. Girlfriend finds it much more confortable and easier to drive too which is a bonus.

I'll also recommend the engineers i used, Bisitecniks in Ballarat. They were very helpfull, speaking to me on the phone for like 20mins answering questions and giving me information on the whole VASS certificate process. They were also lenient, of all things, looking over a couple of requirements that weren't too important but technically a requirement. Even offered to pick me up from home so i could get my car because it was raining and they knew i was using my bicycle. No one else i spoke to was anywhere near as courteous or helpfull.

Bisiteknics
2 Old Creswick Road, Wendouree, VIC 3355
p: (03) 5339 6777

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm

a/'sdkfn a/'lskd fa/'lskdjf aLSKD jf :O :O a;sdjfha;slkjd has OMFG! PLANS?!!! Street of offroad? ???! :O
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 05, 2010 2:40 pm

its alrite i guess
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Wed May 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Very nice can't wait to see more pics and then see it in action
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Its about bloody time you came clean! I was having trouble holding off - and I did tell someone ^ but he's all good ;)

Hope you have it lifted for the offroad session coming up :twisted: Got a dual range for it yet??

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I think my reflection might be a little bit green when I look in those windows.... :-D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Yep, just wait til you see it in the flesh - I was the same!

Rhys, what's going on with the intake in that pic with your first post? There's a gap where the AFM should be. Got a new airbox yet or has that old one been certified?

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed May 05, 2010 9:05 pm

What's the plan for the car, street or offroad? I have a spare AFM form a gen 1 if you need it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 05, 2010 9:33 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:What's the plan for the car, street or offroad? I have a spare AFM form a gen 1 if you need it.
Ah the suspense! Is it killing you yet? Got a H6 on order for libby already??? :P

Can't wait to see it again!

Cheers

Bennie

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm

if you are lifting it find my lifting a gen2 thread and follow the suspension setup. I am driving the Gen2 at the moment and it handles BEAUTIFULLY. just needs more poke... (a H6!)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 pm

oooooh... drools....... :P
hehe... what are the specs ie. gearbox, chassis etc...?
Good Luck and congrats!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu May 06, 2010 8:26 am

ScubyRoo wrote:a/'sdkfn a/'lskd fa/'lskdjf aLSKD jf :O :O a;sdjfha;slkjd has OMFG! PLANS?!!! Street of offroad? ???! :O
Offroad ;)
Its about bloody time you came clean! I was having trouble holding off - and I did tell someone ^ but he's all good

Hope you have it lifted for the offroad session coming up Got a dual range for it yet??

Cheers

Bennie
Waiting on lift. Been eyeing off an impreza dual range box and Gen1 + L series boxes at the wreckers in Ballarat. Undecided which way to go because i still don't understand it all.
Rhys, what's going on with the intake in that pic with your first post? There's a gap where the AFM should be. Got a new airbox yet or has that old one been certified?
That picture is from Al fabbing the air intake, so it wasn't finished at the time. Intake is now certified. First engineer was a dick, the intake was never illegal.
if you are lifting it find my lifting a gen2 thread and follow the suspension setup. I am driving the Gen2 at the moment and it handles BEAUTIFULLY. just needs more poke... (a H6!)
I've been subscribed to that thread of yours thread for over a year, its exactly what i want to do. Been quoted about $1200 for new set of outback shocks and standard king springs. Not sure if the bank can take that right now.

Current debates i have at the moment are:
Go an impreza dual range box or
Gen1 dual range with L series low range

I want to keep 4.44 ratio diffs. I'm guessing my V3 STI tranny has a 20kg centre LSD, so i want to use that too.

Opinions about which is the best way to go appreciated.

Ultimate goal would include the lockable centre diff from my L series, but that would be gearbox stage 2.

Second debate is second hand outback shocks and springs or new? $440 for second hand set or $1200 new. Is second hand worth the short term saving?
oooooh... drools....... :P
hehe... what are the specs ie. gearbox, chassis etc...?
Good Luck and congrats!
Cheers
AP
First post updated with specs :cool: Basically same as in Als thread for the car.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Cheers,
Rhys

BTW these cars have friggin massive rear overhang :???:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu May 06, 2010 9:57 am

gen2 has the least rear overhang of them all. you should see how far a gen1 arse hangs out... look at my sig
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

78sti

Post by 78sti » Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 am

What a 2.0 forester gearbox 4.44 diffs and 1.447:1 low range or a forester or outback box with ALBINS LOW RANGE gear set (from scorpion)1.58:1

I think this would cost more but would be a little stronger than the l series low range behind a H6.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 am

78sti wrote:What a 2.0 forester gearbox 4.44 diffs and 1.447:1 low range or a forester or outback box with ALBINS LOW RANGE gear set (from scorpion)1.58:1

I think this would cost more but would be a little stronger than the l series low range behind a H6.
Might as well get L series with 1.59:1 Or Impreza box.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Venom wrote:Waiting on lift. Been eyeing off an impreza dual range box and Gen1 + L series boxes at the wreckers in Ballarat. Undecided which way to go because i still don't understand it all.

Current debates i have at the moment are:
Go an impreza dual range box or
Gen1 dual range with L series low range

I want to keep 4.44 ratio diffs. I'm guessing my V3 STI tranny has a 20kg centre LSD, so i want to use that too.

Opinions about which is the best way to go appreciated.

Ultimate goal would include the lockable centre diff from my L series, but that would be gearbox stage 2.

Second debate is second hand outback shocks and springs or new? $440 for second hand set or $1200 new. Is second hand worth the short term saving?

BTW these cars have friggin massive rear overhang :???:
Go the Impreza box, but if you're unsure about the low range in it I would suggest you go for the Gen 1 box with the L low range - that way you can build it knowing that you'll have the desired low range...

Either way you'll need the EJ casing and L low range to build up your centre diff locked (CDL) box - probabily best to keep your STi box aside for the diffs to go into the CDL box, otherwise you'd be taking the subi off the road to get the box done. You will have to cut and shut the pinion shaft.

I'd go the second hand units to save the money. Once they shag out get a new set. I'm running second hand everything on Ruby Scoo, I'm not ashamed about running used parts, they do the job and I was on a budget.

The over hand, an angle grinder can sort that out :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

kj0

Post by kj0 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 am

That intake is exactly what I want to do, but instead a K&N Pod in a CAI box. Did you do the Intake piping yourself? If so, How much was already intact?

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon May 17, 2010 1:28 pm

I would be looking into fitting a DCCD center diff to your box. I have seen a couple of DCCD centers going for around $800 recently.

Return to “My Subi”