Venom: H6 Gen2 Liberty GX

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Tuckerbag

Post by Tuckerbag » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

http://www.warrenandbrown.com.au/precis ... 1$OR$4/138

dont know how much but they are very good

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:39 pm

New motor swapped in. Took a lot longer than expected because I ****ed up by removing all the shims, which of course meant the cam lobes scrapped on the edge of the buckets and got damaged. A bit annoying, because it wasn't the straight swap I had planned. Luckily I had a full gasket kit on hand, because I ended up swapping out the cams from the old motor. In the end it wasn't too complicated, and I got to practice disassembly on the old motor first. I was kinda happy to reseal the inner timing chain cover too.

Result is the new motor is in, new exedy clutch, pressure plate, clutch fork, thrust and spigot bearings. Valve clearances are all within spec. Flywheel machined locally just before they closed for Christmas. I found that my old flywheel had been machined flat, no good. They should have a small .5mm step between the clutch and pressure plate surfaces. I suspect this was the cause of some of my bunny hopping issues, along with a softly sprung no name brand clutch. The old clutch had 6 little springs compared to the Exedy with 4 large(r) springs.

The old motor was leaking from pretty much everywhere. Rear main, the little gasket next to the rear main, inner and outer timing chain covers, valve covers. I didn't check the valve clearances on it, but I've definitely regained some performance and fuel economy.
I've got a few, but not many pictures to upload. I was pretty focused on just getting the job done :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:23 am

Great news! :twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Geez mate, you work quickly!!

You don't want to come around and play gearboxes with me do you? :twisted:

Very glad to hear about the change in economy and performance with the new engine. Supercharger next? :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:42 am

No need for a supercharger with the fresher motor, made me realise how much the old motor had been lacking.

Anyway got a bit slack with the photo's during the motor swap. Heres the only one of the new motor:

New clutch fork, pivot point, thrust bearing and dust boot installed.

Old motor pics.

Got leaks? Add the oil it was burning through too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Still good pics mate! You've gotta look after your camera ;)

How does the clutch behave with the change to the step in the flywheel?

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:43 am

Hard to say, the clutch was shuddering on the flywheel before. Whether that was the step or just didn't bed in properly I'm not sure. It's only about a .5mm step, so it'd be within the wear a clutch would go through anyway. I imagine it would just become more of a problem as the clutch aged and the clearances really grew out, the old clutch actually had plenty of meat on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Mmmm.

2005 STI Liberty 5MT that's done 130,000kms. Complete with short shifter, full push type hydraulic clutch assembly, tail shaft and drive shafts. Oh, and an LSD.

This should cure my drive-train issues, seriously. And preps the car for an SG based dual range to go in at a later date.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 am

Will you be driving this around for a while? Serious downgrade from a DR DCCD twin LSD drivetrain :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:07 pm

Hmmm... Interesting move!

I've got a set of SG cases here if that's what you're after for the hydraulic clutch setup. Otherwise there's a mob in the Sydney area that are selling gearboxes for ~$200 plus postage without the centre diff. This could be the best way for you to build up a good box keeping the 1.59:1 low range and front LSD too. They do quote the wrong diff ratio IMO as they say they're all 4.44 ratio.

You'd better be careful mate, I can see this vehicle getting slammed again :evil:

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:27 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Will you be driving this around for a while? Serious downgrade from a DR DCCD twin LSD drivetrain :(
It will be for the foreseeable future. I'm really not concerned about it's off-road capabilities at present. Plenty of passenger seats around if I need my offroad fix.
El_Freddo wrote:Hmmm... Interesting move!

I've got a set of SG cases here if that's what you're after for the hydraulic clutch setup. Otherwise there's a mob in the Sydney area that are selling gearboxes for ~$200 plus postage without the centre diff. This could be the best way for you to build up a good box keeping the 1.59:1 low range and front LSD too. They do quote the wrong diff ratio IMO as they say they're all 4.44 ratio.

You'd better be careful mate, I can see this vehicle getting slammed again :evil:

Cheers

Bennie
The V6 STI suspension is still in the shed. First step is to get this car reliable, and enjoyable to drive again. At present it is a pig. From there focus on some other life goals. When it comes to looking at off-roading again I think something much more capable in total stock form will be the go. The philosphy with the next project car will be to achieve the capability mine has now with the least number of modifications. This one was more what would be the best with the most possible modifications. Getting this car back how it was when I bought it also makes it possible to road worthy for a sale.

I'm cool with selling the Lib. My emotional attachment is more with the concept and dream of what this car can do on and off the road than the car itself. If I think a SG (maybe even an SH) could do it better then I'll be excited to start another project.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:04 am

Venom wrote:Getting this car back how it was when I bought it also makes it possible to road worthy for a sale.

I'm cool with selling the Lib. My emotional attachment is more with the concept and dream of what this car can do on and off the road than the car itself. If I think a SG (maybe even an SH) could do it better then I'll be excited to start another project.
I think that's the best option for you. Return to stock (H6) and sell, sell off you're parts, and get a SG/SH Foz. The 2.5 will be a bit of a downward move in HP/torque but will also make it more challenging :p

Maybe an XT? Heaps of power upgrades and an auto already has a locking centre plus no need for LR. SH has VDC :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Interesting. We're obviously cast from a different mould in some ways!

Why not go for an L series with your offroad gearbox powered by an EA81? Should be simple and fun yet still very capable. If I was still running the ea82 and didn't want to go EJ I'd be looking at dropping the ea81 in there.

But I guess you've got to look up if that's what you want to do. I'd go for the ej25 then drop your front LSD and low range in there. If you want simple swaps I've now got the 1.44:1 low range "in stock" atm.

Got a possible time frame to work this in? I'm just curious.

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:59 am

lol we definitely have a different mind set about these things Bennie.

Don't know about time really, I just want to enjoy the drive to and from work right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:46 pm

still seems worth trackng down what the issue is rather than just swapping the entire driveline and deleting the offroad capabilities. also why think about selling it and just keeping the concept mentally? Surely being able to drive the concept is better :)

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:44 am

The beauty of this single range swap is that the male/male driveshafts (Which i prefer for the stub delete) and clutch setup will work with an SG dual range and frees up my DCCD and Cusco for inspection and swap. The cusco actually has some end float with the stubs so it will be overall a better outcome anyway. So whether the car stays as an offroader or not it's a good intermediate step, and I can always sell the STI gear later on for pretty much what I paid.

There is a new suspect for the problem but I've speculated enough already and we won't know for sure until the gearbox is apart. May not be terminal, and the death of first and low range is predictable since I never hooked up the L/R oil feed to a pump. Both problems are very common and not restricted to a higher torque motor, although likely exacerbated by it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:59 am

Yay! Another gearbox autopsy!!

Funny that our group will have two on the go at once. Will Rick be doing yours? Going 4.44 at the same time? So jelly if you do! Not an easy swap for me or I'd be onto it already!

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Yeah 4.44. I think i'll be able to pretty much make up most of the ground from the drop to a 1.44 low range and gain the stronger SG gears... just an all round better gearbox. 4.44 should be less strain on the gears too. The 5th in this STI box is 0.730 so if I use it the revs will be lower than factory SG which should make up for the 4.44.

This STI gearbox is:
TY757VBCAB
1st: 3.166
2nd: 1.882
3rd: 1.296
4th: 0.972
5th: 0.738
Rev: 3.333
FD: 4.111

It has a 240mm clutch which has me a bit stumped right now. Going to have to bring the setup into the shop to get them to compare bits and pieces, and find a 240mm flywheel for a 5MT.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:29 am

So a quick update, this epic shudder/jerking problem is still on-going. Imagine the drivetrain acting like a jackhammer, that's the best description for it.

Stock SF gearbox ended up going into the car. 1.447 and 4.11 for $300 from Jollys. This saw no change to the problem, but needed to be done anyway since 1st in the old gbox was howling. Stock tailshaft in, no change.

So the car spent some time at the mechanic, conclusion is it's the rear diff. Lots of backlash play. At this stage I'm not sure whats worn or why. The KAAZ is still functioning beautifully. It's not making any noise, so it seems unlikely to be crownwheel/pinion wear. Stock diff will go in soonish, most likely the KAAZ will go into the 06 Lib LSD housing with some new bearings and seals. Then the KAAZ and DCCD can go into the car further down the track.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:20 am

Are you getting your gearbox rebuilt?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”