92 lib conversion v5 ej20t

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
69terra69

92 lib conversion v5 ej20t

Post by 69terra69 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 pm

hey guys thought id put my car up

well i bought it last year in nov then early this year my head gasket blew so at the moment i am driving around with a blown head gasket as i have purchased a new engine :) ej20t ver5 that has just been rebuilt so now i am just getting the parts needed for my conversion and as soon as i have everything i will take the car off the road if it hasnt blown up lol.

current mods
king springs
18inch rims
big stereo
thats about it

future mods
awd manual conversion
coilovers
4 pots
wrx sti rims

heres some pics

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 pm

update

well i took my na ej22 out on friday was pretty straight forward, now im getting ready to drop the turbo engine in just a few more little things that needs to be purchased and i will start putting it in.

here are some pics from friday

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Nice work, keep the photos coming!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:53 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:Nice work, keep the photos coming!
I bet you'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Good to see that you're going the manaul Terra - otherwise the turbo conversion is a waste of time in my opinion unless you've got a medical reason for it ;)

We love photos in build pics :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm

update

thanks guys for your comments they actually made me go to the garage and take some more pics for an update for you guys.

well guys did a little bit of work today and changed my mind of how this car will be, i decided to put my RS engine in for the next couple months then i will put the ver 5 wrx engine in and chase big power :)

so today i took my wiring harness out and started to put the rs lib wiring in.
here are some pics

and i installed the clutch pedal but then realized i have to cut my brke pedal down

H-top

Post by H-top » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Ideally u should get a full manual pedal box

good job though!
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:03 am

I might have a pedal box & I presume it's got a turbo front X member.
If interested pedal box will cost you $30 because I have to dig through a pile of crap to find it (if I have one) I also have a manual center console piece with rubber shifter surround in the same colour but it has the dual range hump $15
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Yep.. you're going to need the Turbo model engine crossmember and you'll need to remove the subs from those front drive shafts but well worth it when it's finished :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Also a manual tail shaft, AWD fuel tank & probably a matching rear sub-frame & diff.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 pm

d_generate wrote:I might have a pedal box & I presume it's got a turbo front X member.
If interested pedal box will cost you $30 because I have to dig through a pile of crap to find it (if I have one) I also have a manual center console piece with rubber shifter surround in the same colour but it has the dual range hump $15
hey man thanks for the offer might take the pedal box if you can find it just pm me if you find it.

as for the engine crossmember i have seen a couple of people cut out a section and weld it up to look like the turbo one so im gonna give that a go and if im happy with how it turns out i will use it if not ill be on the hunt for turbo one.

and RSR 555 what do you mean by removing the front subs ??

thanks for the comments guys keep them coming :mrgreen:

cheerz james

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

69terra69 wrote: and RSR 555 what do you mean by removing the front subs ??
On the drive shafts - the inner CV cup should have a female cup, not the male stub as it is with the auto. Either swap the drive shafts to the female cup for the male stub from the manual gearbox to fit in or swap the inner cup to the one you need.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Sorry: side topic question: How to you find that little gas/gasless mig to go? Seen some going for $500 and have been wondering...
69terra69 wrote:Image
End Hijack!

Bennie

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:06 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Sorry: side topic question: How to you find that little gas/gasless mig to go? Seen some going for $500 and have been wondering...

End Hijack!

Bennie
thanks for clearing the above up.

that one in the picture is actually a little stick welder but i have got a gas/gasless mig just abit bigger than that one i find it okay to use on general stuff like 5mm, and for the price tag 300-500 mark they are well worth it.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:15 pm

the driveshafts should be the same, you don't need to take the stub out of the gearbox. I used the same shafts when i went from auto to manual. Knock out the roll pin with a 6mm pin punch and the stub will pull out of the CV.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Point wrote:the driveshafts should be the same, you don't need to take the stub out of the gearbox. I used the same shafts when i went from auto to manual. Knock out the roll pin with a 6mm pin punch and the stub will pull out of the CV.
hey mate thats what i was gonna try tomorrow good to know that it will work thanks mate.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 am

69terra69 wrote:and RSR 555 what do you mean by removing the front subs ??

thanks for the comments guys keep them coming :mrgreen:

cheerz james
The front drive shafts are usually removed from the transmissions via removing the roll pin that holds them onto those stubs that are sticking out of your front drive shafts. They usually slide off a splined stub that remains in the tranny (stops oil spilling out).

Cheers,
Paul

EDIT: sorry just noticed they was a page 2
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 pm

progress failed :(

hey guys for most of my afternoon i have been trying to join my box up to my engine, but the clutch release bearing ?? is giving me trouble :mad:

so the problem is when i put the box on the clutch is really floppy and isnt close to in-gauging ?? so i have one clutch release bearing i think that is what it is on the box and one on my clutch and i thought maybe if i put them both in that will work,, but then the clutch will not move. so im stuck on what to has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it ??????????

heres some pics

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Ok.. it looks like you are trying to use the NA box behind the turbo engine.. this isn't a good idea but as long as you don't give the car a hard time you'll be ok.

Now your problem.. You have 2 release bearings but only need 1. You will need to use a NA flywheel/clutch setup if you are going to use the NA box. The one with the release bearing attached to the pressure plate is a turbo clutch setup.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

69terra69

Post by 69terra69 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:43 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Ok.. it looks like you are trying to use the NA box behind the turbo engine.. this isn't a good idea but as long as you don't give the car a hard time you'll be ok.

Now your problem.. You have 2 release bearings but only need 1. You will need to use a NA flywheel/clutch setup if you are going to use the NA box. The one with the release bearing attached to the pressure plate is a turbo clutch setup.
yeah its more of a getting the car up and running to drive to a workshop in perth ect..

okay can i use a na clutch on the turbo fly wheel or are the fly wheels different aswel ??

thanks for your reply

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 am

There is a small difference between the NA and Turbo Flywheels so best to use all of the NA stuff. NA clutches don't have as much clamping pressure as the Turbo so unless you use a good or near new clutch.. you may have slippage.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”