Dann's 92 Subaru L Series Build

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
angosurf_81@hotmail.com

6X9 in the rear

Post by angosurf_81@hotmail.com » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

hey Dann,

Just curious about thos 6X9 in the rear, i put 6's cause i didnt think i could get 6X9's in. Can you put a pic up of them or something. Cheers mate.

Dann

Post by Dann » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:58 pm

angosurf_81@hotmail.com wrote:hey Dann,

Just curious about thos 6X9 in the rear, i put 6's cause i didnt think i could get 6X9's in. Can you put a pic up of them or something. Cheers mate.
yeah no worries mate. heres a pic of them mounted and how it looks, I wanted to put them long ways but they ended up being to low down so i mounted them upright, also cause I didn't wanna cut anything.
6/9 speakers mounted in rear door by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

The next pic shows the backside of them on the panel, I put thin MDF on the back to take up the room inbetween the panel and the door, to stop vibration. And to strengthen it.
rear side of the 6/9's by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

And the third pic is of the in side of the door i had some sound proofing lying around so i put that in aswell, (really does help) and if you can see i have taped all the wires and anything that can rattle down so if you tap the back door you can't hear all the rattle from wires and shit.

I also had to screw the panel on because if I didn't, the speakers are so heavy when you close the door they fall off.
inner door contents by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

Hope that helps abit :)
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Dann wrote:ok awsum one more thing i've got sorted :)
Does the tie rods have to be from an L series with power steering to??
hows the rest of the kit going paul have you heard from the guy yet??
Yep.. if you're using the Liberty Steering Rack in the L.Series Engine Crossmember then you'll need to use both the Tie Rods and the Tie Rod Ends from the L.Series Steering Rack and fit them to your Liberty Steering Rack. If you're going to use the Liberty Engine Crossmember in the L.Series (and convert to 5 stud), then you can use the complete Liberty Steering Rack without modifying (so hang on to your Liberty Tie Rods and Ends)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey Dann.. guess what I have for you???

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Hey Dann.. guess what I have for you???

Ok I'm intrigued!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Dann

Post by Dann » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 am

Yay. Might pop down next week sumtime:).
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 am

El_Freddo wrote:Ok I'm intrigued!

Bennie
haha.. sorry Bennie Top Secret Stuff.. LOL

Nah.. just kidding, these are the part B to Dann's lift kit, these brackets are for the rear K frame. It's designed to stop the flex on the front bushing. Part C and hopefully the final to the kit is the rear bump stop mods but we'll need to wait to see what sort of wheel travel the car has after Dann does the rear strut conversion like you did to Suby Ruby (unless you know off hand?).
Dann wrote:Yay. Might pop down next week sumtime:).
No probs Dann.. will need to be Monday or Tuesday as it's that time again.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:00 am

Hahaha, yeah this will definitely stop the 1cm flex that was seen on my car:D

Man, WA is up there with the design of new innovative parts for our subi's:p
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:03 am

Hey,

With those Lib seats did you just use the same frames and drill four new holes??? Im asking cos im doing the same to mine 'shortly' (sometime this year)..

Dann

liberty seats into the L series

Post by Dann » Sun May 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Wagonman wrote:Hey,

With those Lib seats did you just use the same frames and drill four new holes??? Im asking cos im doing the same to mine 'shortly' (sometime this year)..
hey john the way I did it was that I used the original top hole(front of the seat holes) and drilled the appropriate hole corresponding to the bottom of the l series seat tracks, As everyone says pictures speak a thousand words, the picture below is of the difference between the liberty and the l series seat tracks (liberty-right with the red dots and L series- left with the green dots)
this is the passenger side (the easy side).
libertyl series seat runner by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

The second pic is with both L series tracks installed and the old hole at the bottom in red.
l series seat runner in place by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

For the driver seat it's abit different because you have the raise and lower mechanism, the top (front of the seat) bolts are easy they just come out but the bottom is different because you need the bracket that swivels when you raise and lower the seat, the image bellow shows the bracket that you need, I had already taken it off so i just used paint to show you the position it was in. With this bracket it is spot welded onto the track at the bottom and like crimpt at the top, just cut the little crimpt knob off which should pop out with a metal punch or sumthing similar though a big hole you can see in the picture, next you just need to separate the two pieces, I used a chisel to get down to the spot weld and a hacksaw to cut it, you can pretty much do it what ever way you want you just need to get that bracket from both sides.
bracket liberty mount by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

The next image is of the L series track bolted at the top (front of the seat) and the bracket you cut off installed in the original position on the seat and how it all lines up, the red holes are the crimped knob that held the liberty track on and the green hole are the new holes to attach the L series track on. I'm pretty shore that i swapped the too brackets around so i put the left one on the right and the right one on the left otherwise the tracks don't line up, if you look in this image and the last one you can see how i have positioned them, the bigger one is on the left and the smaller one is on the right. mabey i didn't swap them?? haha forgot lol but you should see there only one way to put them on.

old and new hole l series bracket by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

The last image is of the L series tracks installed on the drivers side the red holes are the old original mounting points and the green ones are the new holes with a small bolt holding it, The bolt can't be too big otherwise it will interfere when you put the seat down.
liberty car with l series runners by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

Ok well that my way of putting liberty seats in an L series, I know other people have welded things and cut things but I found this way to be pretty straight forward :) tell me if you get stuck and i'll help as best I can.
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 am

Hey Dann,

Thanks for that massive effort with pics and paint drawings ay. Im pretty sure a bunch of people will appreciate them including me. Ill definitely be looking this thread up when i come to doing mine.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Wagonman wrote:Hey Dann,

Thanks for that massive effort with pics and paint drawings ay. Im pretty sure a bunch of people will appreciate them including me. Ill definitely be looking this thread up when i come to doing mine.
Totally agree Wagonman!

Dan you should do a write up like you have above and post it in the tech forum or the conversions, mods and performance section.

I hope the same works for the forester seats as these are the ones I would love to add to Ruby Scoo.

Cheers

Bennie

Dann

Post by Dann » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

hey guys not too much progress at the moment just adding funds to the project.
sent my clutch and fly wheel etc. to the shop to get modded and beafed up :twisted:

Just wondering with the thermo fans is there any specific brand that is better??
and roughly how much gap is there between the engine and the radiator??

thanks guys
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

Dann

Post by Dann » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Little update got my EJ wiring loom back for Dave the other day, Thanks mate :)
slowly starting to get there, Clutch hopefully gonna pick up on monday.
my EJ wiring loom by Dann_Evans, on Flickr
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:57 am

Dann wrote: Just wondering with the thermo fans is there any specific brand that is better??
and roughly how much gap is there between the engine and the radiator??
The gap will depend on the size of the radiator used.

Don't know of a specific brand that is better, but the craig david fans seem to be popular. My three ebay specials are still going well ($107 including postage) - 2x 7 inch thermos and 1x 9 inch thermos. I went this way to fit them around the pulleys on the front the engine as I have very little room between the EJ and the 3 core radiator. The 3 core is overkill!

Best of luck gathering funds - it seems to be all I do these days!

Cheers

Bennie

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 am

Craig David fans.. Are 16 year old screaming girls.. You might have more luck fitting Davis Craig fans in your engine bay. Nice way to confuse him Bennie. I don't need 2 guesses to work out who your favorite singer is.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:52 am

Hahahahaha, Lol:p
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Craig David fans.. Are 16 year old screaming girls.. You might have more luck fitting Davis Craig fans in your engine bay. Nice way to confuse him Bennie. I don't need 2 guesses to work out who your favorite singer is.
I didn't know which way it was... and he's a singer you say - I should listen to the mainstream radio and get an education of those mainstream singers. Not.

Sorry for any confusion - needless to say I'm not using a brand name set of thermo fans :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie

Dann

1 atep forward 2 steps back

Post by Dann » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:57 pm

OK guys just a little update on the project, unfortunately there no foward movement on the EJ22 :( pretty upsetting, But life goes on lol.
I was forced into doing the head gaskets on the EA82 as it was getting pretty bad, but not too upset cause i still learnt alot :) and now I have more time to play around and get money up for the EJ22:twisted:
any way heres some pics of the head gasket and the "testing" after it was put back in :D

pulling the EA out by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

EA82 head gasket by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

rockers and shit by Dann_Evans, on Flickr
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

Dann

Post by Dann » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:59 pm

And then the "testing" :cool: ......