Dann's 92 Subaru L Series Build

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Dann

Post by Dann » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Hey guys I thought I might just randomly POP back in after Internets been down for so long,
update on the ol' L shes now got new king springs in the front, new stereo head unit, rear LED reverse light as some of you have seen already, she's driving amazing lately loving the EJ22, sort of wishing I had put a turbo in but oh well does great, leaves other people with surprised looks on their faces haha,

Anyway needing help again after putting the engine in the alignment ripped though a set of front tires, so i realigned them got new tires and wheel bearing, ran great for a week then my new king springs arrive so I popped them in and now my camber is waaay out, will post up a few pics tomoz, but I'm wondering if its possible to put the suspension back in wrong to cause this or do I just need to get the wheels done again (camber?).
Cause I compared the springs to each other and they not much bigger ( they standard L series king springs) probs only about a 10mm or so.

And secondly seen as i've finally got around to doing my engine conversion, I wanna get a full set of tires all matching, I wanna get some all terrains, any suggestions? help? I'm running 14's atm, I know that brings the selection right down but if you guys could help out. I'm looking at doing quiet abit of sand driving, but also I've been getting into abit more muddy/ dirt, hence wanting the all terrains or muddies

Thanks guys will post up some updated pics tomoz :)
Bye for now
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 pm

for tyres i went into beaurepairs today just to check prices and kuhmo, toyo and maxxis all do muddies but only maxxis do all terians and they were $215 each fitted

and with the camber i would say if you have fitted std new springs and its changed that much i would have a guess that they are in backwards

tristan
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 pm

and to recheck your strut tops can you still read RSR like in the pic at the top of this page
The New Owner Of hatchie

Dann

Post by Dann » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 pm

true ok so, what are the part numbers for them if you know mabey a link to the all terrains and others,
And yeah the RSR is the right way thats whats confuzzling me
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am

na didnt get part numbers or a link to anythin just walked in to there shop i just thought that 215 for one tyre seamed a bit too much so was gonna shop around a bit more to get some beta prices and options yea cant really help much with the camber
The New Owner Of hatchie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:03 am

Dann.. anytime you play with the suspension, you are always best to have an alignment. As it doesn't take much to change it.

As for your springs, it's very hard to spot the difference when they are out of the car. Only a spring compression tester would be able to show you. Springs lose their spring tension but still retain their shape and size.

As for tyres, it's really hard to say what's best as there is so many variables to peoples driving and uses. IMO, I believe that the best tyre for beach is a road tyre (unless you have a supercharged EJ22 then BFGs work great) and the best tyre of for mud/rock work is Mud Terrain tyres. So best to have 2 sets of tyres, if that is not an option then All Terrain tyres is a perfect compromise.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Dann

Post by Dann » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm

90brumby wrote:na didnt get part numbers or a link to anythin just walked in to there shop i just thought that 215 for one tyre seamed a bit too much so was gonna shop around a bit more to get some beta prices and options yea cant really help much with the camber
Yeah it did seem abit much, as i spoke to my mate today and he recently got 34inch bighorn tires for his car and cost 314 each fitted, what type of tire are you looking at getting cause i'm leaning towards the all terrains, mabey if you getting a set we could get more discount for buying bulk.
RSR 555 wrote:Dann.. anytime you play with the suspension, you are always best to have an alignment. As it doesn't take much to change it.

As for your springs, it's very hard to spot the difference when they are out of the car. Only a spring compression tester would be able to show you. Springs lose their spring tension but still retain their shape and size.

As for tyres, it's really hard to say what's best as there is so many variables to peoples driving and uses. IMO, I believe that the best tyre for beach is a road tyre (unless you have a supercharged EJ22 then BFGs work great) and the best tyre of for mud/rock work is Mud Terrain tyres. So best to have 2 sets of tyres, if that is not an option then All Terrain tyres is a perfect compromise.
paul yeash me playing with the suspension is probly the thing that put it out, but i dont think its just wheel alingment? heres a pic of it
IMG_3862 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

IMG_3863 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

IMG_3864 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:34 am

Dann wrote:Image[/url]
This photo makes it look like factory L series camber, which could mean that the strut lift block doesn't have the camber adjustment built into them. But if Paul built it I doubt it doesn't have this adjustment built in...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:16 am

Dann wrote:paul yeash me playing with the suspension is probly the thing that put it out, but i dont think its just wheel alingment?
It does appear that something else is off.. maybe drive down next weekend (14/15th) and I'll have a quick look.
El_Freddo wrote:This photo makes it look like factory L series camber, which could mean that the strut lift block doesn't have the camber adjustment built into them. But if Paul built it I doubt it doesn't have this adjustment built in...

Cheers

Bennie
Not sure how to take this as it sounds double dutch to me but doubt you'd be questioning my work.

All of my lift kits have the correct camber offset built into them but they don't have any extra abilty to adjust that whilst in the car. I do use an aftermarket camber adjustment kit when there are major differences. This allows for finer adjustments when doing laser alignments but I've only had this issue on later models (Impreza and Forester).
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:20 am

Dann wrote:
IMG_3864 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr
Badly in need of a rear wheel carrier.....! I just got a Mig welder for free. Not sure yet if it works. If it does we can start and only need to rent out a bottle:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 am

are you sure you put the strut blocks back in the right way?

And when you put it all back together, did the struts get pushed in as far as they could go before the bolts were tightened up?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

RSR 555 wrote:All of my lift kits have the correct camber offset built into them but they don't have any extra abilty to adjust that whilst in the car. I do use an aftermarket camber adjustment kit when there are major differences. This allows for finer adjustments when doing laser alignments but I've only had this issue on later models (Impreza and Forester).
What camber adjustment kit do you use?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Not sure how to take this as it sounds double dutch to me but doubt you'd be questioning my work.
No Paul, not questioning your work. I'm sorry that it reads ambiguously - but it was meant to say that if the blocks were built by you that it would have the adjustment built in already, which means there's something else at play here.
guyph_01 wrote:Badly in need of a rear wheel carrier.....! I just got a Mig welder for free. Not sure yet if it works. If it does we can start and only need to rent out a bottle:)
I reckon you'll fall over when you find out how much a bottle is to rent, especially if you're still working on a uni shoe string budget!

The only other thing I can suggest is that you move the car down the driveway then back again and see if there's any change. If not, I'd loosen the hub retaining bolts on the top of the hub that holds the strut, hopefully it will move, do them back up then move it back up and down the drive way to help it settle and see what the difference is.

If that doesn't do the trick I'd start looking at the struts - are they on the correct side? I believe that the 2wd and 4wd's had their struts on opposite sides for some reason - or I could be confusing the MY's with the L's. Paul will know for sure.

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:52 pm

TOONGA wrote: And when you put it all back together, did the struts get pushed in as far as they could go before the bolts were tightened up?
TOONGA
reading this ambiguity of mine, I thought I would show you what I did to PJ to give me near negative camber.

I don't endorse this as a fix, and I'm sure others will say NO NO NO but it does push the strut top in towards the engine to give less positive camber.
wrong word used negative replace with positive please
remember if you do this to have the weight of the car supported, all you want to do is move the strut inward not lift the car by the hub, remember it is the hub not the disc.

TOONGA

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:21 pm

TOONGA wrote:reading this ambiguity of mine, I thought I would show you what I did to PJ to give me near negative camber.

I don't endorse this as a fix, and I'm sure others will say NO NO NO but it does push the strut top in towards the engine to give less negative camber.

remember if you do this to have the weight of the car supported, all you want to do is move the strut inward not lift the car by the hub, remember it is the hub not the disc.

TOONGA
I think you mean less positive camber.

How does the strut top move? Are the holes slotted or just a loose fit?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 pm

yes thats correct less positive camber and well spotted thank you.
Having 3 children fighting in the background while I typed that, made for an interesting moment.

the holes are slightly bigger (not slotted) making a loose fit, as if they were the exact same size as the bolts, you could imagine how much fun it would be to get the struts out.

While it isn't an ideal fix it does make a difference.

and I will go back and edit that post teacher style :)

TOONGA

Dann

Post by Dann » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Badly in need of a rear wheel carrier.....! I just got a Mig welder for free. Not sure yet if it works. If it does we can start and only need to rent out a bottle:)
haha yeah I'm thinking that too its two plain at the moment
RSR 555 wrote:It does appear that something else is off.. maybe drive down next weekend (14/15th) and I'll have a quick look.
does sound like a good idea, I might contact you sometime closer to then, i'll have a play around this weekend and see what happen and see how many other thing i manage to break lol
TOONGA wrote:reading this ambiguity of mine, I thought I would show you what I did to PJ to give me near negative camber.

TOONGA
did anyone else look at jules jack and think tractor straight away haha, but yeah i see what you illustrating there though
El_Freddo wrote:
The only other thing I can suggest is that you move the car down the driveway then back again and see if there's any change. If not, I'd loosen the hub retaining bolts on the top of the hub that holds the strut, hopefully it will move, do them back up then move it back up and down the drive way to help it settle and see what the difference is.

If that doesn't do the trick I'd start looking at the struts - are they on the correct side? I believe that the 2wd and 4wd's had their struts on opposite sides for some reason - or I could be confusing the MY's with the L's. Paul will know for sure.

Cheers

Bennie
Bennie i've been driving like this for the past week casue i need my car for work and yeah hasn't settled, i thought when i first put the springs in it just had to settle alittle but its still like this :S like i sed i'll have a play around with it on the weekend and see what i can do, i've got a few thing in mind
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Dann wrote:Bennie i've been driving like this for the past week casue i need my car for work and yeah hasn't settled
Yeah, usually for the suspension to settle after having the front end off the ground you just need to roll forward or backward (or both) for a short distance for the front track width to return to normal...

Hopefully this will be an easy fix once you've checked this out over the weekend ;)

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Wouldn't recommend you use the TOONGA method.. could cause more damage. I'd like to think the spring weight is too high. We can change the offset on the top struts blocks if we have too. No stress.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dann

Post by Dann » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:46 pm

So I played around with my suspension yesterday, it's looking way better than before, still not happy with it though so I might pop down to yours paul sometime soon.,
On another note was down in ozzie park this morning and looking at quote prices for tires, after much explaining about what i want the salesmen gave me quotes around $230 per tires fitted, i'm not to happy with that too,

And does anyone have a spare working touring wagon fuel pump they would like to palm off???
Cheers,
Dann

Looking for:
- LSD diff

Return to “My Subi”