Venoms GLF-5 Coupe

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Venom
General Member

Venoms GLF-5 Coupe

Post by Venom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

I did my usually random car sales search last week. Subarus - in Vic - under $2,500 - sorted from lowest to highest price. The same way i found my EA wagon. To my suprise a nice looking GLF coupe came up for $500 as the first car last week. It just happened to be in the same town as my girlfriends parents and we were heading there that night anyway.

A quick inspection the next morning and apart from a couple of rust spots and a scrape down one side (L plater learning to drive) it was in really good condition. Ok well dash is cracked in one spot, usually UV damage on the interior plastic. Most importantly for me it was totally stock and it had been well service/cared for on the dry side of the Great Dividing Range. 1 spot of surface rust for both front and rear windows, and 1 spot in the passenger door sill. Distributor has the usually play in it so it doesn't idle, but thats nothing i wasn't expecting. Otherwise it's driving better than my wagon which i've spent so much time getting to run well.

It came with headlight protectors which i've never seen before. Frameless door with no B-pillar is awesome.

Sorry for glarey iphone pictures...

Just to show off my 14's :D

The kid selling it said he wanted a cooler car? I put a good car cover on it and stuck it in a shed on my girlfriends parents property. It's good to know someone with a few acres. No idea what i'll do with it, it was a nice car and i couldn't resist :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Venom wrote:It's good to know someone with a few acres. No idea what i'll do with it, it was a nice car and i couldn't resist :mrgreen:
Totally is! Except dad's getting jack of my parts taking up room in his shed...

Great little find there mate! Should just store it for the next 15 years and then it should come back into some money for being a classic in good shape. Gather some spares to make a resto easier later down the track - sorry that's the hoarder coming out in me!

Or do I feel a sleeper WRX conversion coming on?? :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

coupe

Post by coupe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Looks great, its a dead ringer for the one i was going to buy over here.
It will be a great project.
Use The Fork Luke

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 pm

>>The kid selling it said he wanted a cooler car

With those kick-ass chromey wheel covers ? :)

Metallic yellow, dropped an inch or so, nice 15" rims with low-profile tyres, twin-carb engine, go cruise.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 pm

What a steal! :o Wish they were that cheap around here, was one the same (but gold coloured :???:) for sale near me, they wanted $2500 :???:

Great condition too by the looks of it, nice find.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Nice buy!! My old lady had one 18yrs ago (auto though). I always had dreams for it, but to young and no concept of priorities. Then 3 years ago one for sale (GLF-5) a few blocks away for $900, got me thinking. But still cant prioritise. Definately a keeper :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Venom wrote:Just to show off my 14's :D
Mate I missed this pic last time - I didn't let the pics upload fully. They look awesome with the white wagon!

And the coupe - AWD conversion in the midst or will this gearbox end up in the wagon? I think you'll need to sit down and work out exactly what you're going to do with each vehicle now!

Cheers

Bennie

H-top

Post by H-top » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 am

Amazing steal with the coupe!
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 am

El_Freddo wrote:Totally is! Except dad's getting jack of my parts taking up room in his shed...

Great little find there mate! Should just store it for the next 15 years and then it should come back into some money for being a classic in good shape. Gather some spares to make a resto easier later down the track - sorry that's the hoarder coming out in me!

Or do I feel a sleeper WRX conversion coming on??

Cheers

Bennie
I think such an original car deserves to be kept stock. Plus i'm over converted cars right now, two is enough ;) Still trying to get rid of the L series bits. The best thing about the coupe is i don't think it needs many parts. I was thinking about the twin carbs on ebay, but really it was this or the carbs at the time and the car won.
coupe wrote:Looks great, its a dead ringer for the one i was going to buy over here.
It will be a great project.
Thanks, i think it's a great basis for a resto. I think it would be hard to find another car that needs so little work for so little money.
dfoyl wrote:>>The kid selling it said he wanted a cooler car

With those kick-ass chromey wheel covers ?

Metallic yellow, dropped an inch or so, nice 15" rims with low-profile tyres, twin-carb engine, go cruise.
I might give the yellow a miss:o Definitely thinking some 15's and lowered slightly it will be a great cruiser. Lucky for me he couldn't see that. He bought a commodore i think, i'm sure it's be really cool with 15" stockies at the back and some chrome wheels up front :cool:
Silverbullet wrote:What a steal! :o Wish they were that cheap around here, was one the same (but gold coloured ) for sale near me, they wanted $2500 :???:

Great condition too by the looks of it, nice find.
It was a lucky find. Obviously he didn't see any value in it and i was fortunate to get in first.
FujiFan wrote:Nice buy!! My old lady had one 18yrs ago (auto though). I always had dreams for it, but to young and no concept of priorities. Then 3 years ago one for sale (GLF-5) a few blocks away for $900, got me thinking. But still cant prioritise. Definately a keeper :D
Keep some cash stashed away ready for the next one that comes up ;)
El_Freddo wrote:Mate I missed this pic last time - I didn't let the pics upload fully. They look awesome with the white wagon!

And the coupe - AWD conversion in the midst or will this gearbox end up in the wagon? I think you'll need to sit down and work out exactly what you're going to do with each vehicle now!

Cheers

Bennie
Yea i'm pretty happy with the 14's on the wagon. I've got centre caps too but i haven't put them on in case they fall off, apparently no one else with these rims have the caps.

I could probably fund a resto for the coupe and a lift + tyres for the wagon with the money i could get for the H6 Lib.
H-top wrote:Amazing steal with the coupe!
Thanks mate.

I should mention that the blokes dad runs a saw mill and he wanted to cut the car in half and use it to run some equipment. Imagine coming accross that sad site?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Forgot i had this thread, found it on goole doing searches for glf coupes while bored at work;) Getting this car roadworthy and rego'd on my first break back in Melbourne from Mt Isa. Second week of my break will be driving it to the Isa, so it will be interesting to see how the old girl holds up.

The water pump seal exploded the last time i drove it, so i've got a new pump sitting in a box waiting to go in. Since i bought it i've replaced the distributor; rotor/points/plugs/leads etc. Made a big difference to how it was running. When i bought it they had the idle up around 1500rpm to stop it stalling. The plugs and leads etc were ancient.

Got some 13's alloys to go on it too when i get new tyres for the RWC. Hopefully it doesn't need too much more work.

Can't wait to get it on the road. Love how it looks and how simple and unmolested this car is. Big difference to my other pretty costly and more complex converted cars. It's cost me about $750 in total so far :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:15 pm

I hope all goes well with the road worthy!

It should be an awesome cruise up north :twisted:

And we're going to have to get some pics of it with the mags ;)

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm

You certainly do have a very interesting & varied collection. 2 things missing...brumby & Foz :p

The lack of a B pillar looks cool :cool:

Hope all goes well for the little drive just up the road ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 am

RWC was a hassle, took it to ABS to have some of the work done. Big mistake, very expensive pricing and i was stuck with 2 days to get all the work done so i had to accept their quote or risk not having the car done in time for the registratino appointment. 3 week wait on a rego apppointment, so that would have left us up shit creek. Overall its still a very cheap car all things considered, in great nic, and with all the work done should be very reliable.

Fitted new water pump, radiator and hoses. Oil pump rebuilt, crank seal replaced, valve clearance adjusted, all 4 shocks replaced.

Given her a decent polish and armorall on the weekend after we got to Mt Isa, figured the little coupe deserved it after getting us the 3,000 odd kms from Melbourne to Mt Isa. Thats the first time i've had a chance to give it a good clean and it looks great. Will take pictures when i get the opportunity.

On 91 Ron it was using about 8.4ltr per 100km.
95 Ron about 7.4ltr per 100kms
From Winton to Mt Isa using 98 Ron it used 31.97 ltrs for 484 kms, thats 6.6ltr per 100kms! I was very impressed.

I haven't worked out an overall fuel figure yet, should be interesting to see.

Only issue with it on the drive was the points burning out a couple of times, and the distributor bushes gave up after 2,500kms.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pitrack_1

Points burning out + obj. story

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:07 am

Nice looking buy! Remember those from when I was young.
Venom wrote:Only issue with it on the drive was the points burning out a couple of times, and the distributor bushes gave up after 2,500kms.
Dunno the dizzy setup for these vehicles, but points burning quickly usually means the condenser's shot. If it has one, it's worth replacing.

Obj story:

Whilst in high school in the mid 80's, we used to go play golf for sport at a nearby course. Whilst it was walking distance of ~2km (for teenagers :-) ) it was always convenient if you could hang around and get a lift from the supervising teacher.

Now the supervising teacher we had then (who played off a handicap of 4, apparently) had a Subaru coupe of your vintage, but I think it was earlier and without the 4 headlamps- might have been single round or square units. I think the vehicle was red. But I digress...

Anyways, he was a nice chap and after golf for sport one day he offered those of us who needed/wanted it a lift back to school. Back in the 80's people weren't so worried about how many you could fit in a car vs the no. of seatbelts so we fitted 6 teenagers + one lanky teacher and their golf clubs in the poor little thing. There were two of us in the front, 4 in the back and the teacher driving. All the clubs couldn't fit, so those in the back got to carry some- luckily we only had half sets with small bags, and some may have hired clubs or it just wouldn't have happened!

But that's not the end...although it nearly was of the car...

On the way back there was one set of traffic lights at the top of a hill, where we had to turn right. Of course, we caught the red arrow. Our teacher groaned and said something along the lines of "This could be fun" as he proceeded to do a hill start on the green with a massively overloaded little Subaru coupe. He gunned it and slipped the clutch after holding on the handbrake- and skilfully just pulled the manoeuvre off. We all made it back safely (including the car) to school that afternoon!

Cheers,
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed May 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Great to hear Rhys, those fuel figures are astounding!

So how do you like "the Isa" lol?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

mr_sp33

Post by mr_sp33 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Holy crap that is a mint coupe... Nice find!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 05, 2012 12:10 am

I was looking forward to seeing this coupe in the flesh - but you make it harder for me to achieve this!

Challenge accepted! Give me a few years :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “My Subi”