2000 H6 Project.

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I tried Gannon's way it it works.. just lots of editing. I would just edit post by deleting all and start again using what Cam said and just use the 'IMG code' off your photobucket page. Also you can only upload 8 images at one time.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:25 pm

i just had a quick play and fixed up the images.

alex

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Good work Alex.

And great pics hydrowill - looks like you're already right into it and have a good shed to do the work in.

What you need to find out is the running revs at 100km/h in the 2.5 litre outback. I also think you'll find that fuel economy could drop as you don't have a slush box sucking out the torque of the engine. So even if revs are 2750 (which I suspect they will be) at 100km/h the H6 shouldn't have the throttle open by much, thus it's just cruising rather than labouring ;)

Ask Venom about his H6 conversion and see what he reckons, even though he's running a modified gearbox ;)

Also, how are you doing to shut down the auto box's computer without the factory ECU going nuts or into limp mode? Keen to know ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the tips guys and thanks alex for getting the post going!

Yeah Bennie I am pretty lucky to have access to that workshop! :D

My 2.5L lib does 100kmh sitting on 3200 revs with standard tyres, and around 2700 with the Forester wheels on. So should be sitting a bit lower still with 215-70-16s. That will have to do. Am a little bit worried about the input shafts in the d/r boxes as I have heard that these are not that strong, resulting in why d/r is no longer available in modern subies.

As for the ECU this is what jzk25 had to say about it in another thread.
Electrically there are some issues with certain cars. If you have a limited model with stability control it will no longer work without the auto. The models without are no problem, you just need to put a jumper across the ABS CU to emulate the auto control signal. The neutral switch at the ecu needs to be grounded also or the revs flair between gear changes.
So hopefully I wont run in to any other troubles.

Car is gutted internally at the moment. Getting the interior from the limited model (In mint cond and better looking than the H6 stuff), stereo, dual bats and 2way.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 pm

hydrowill wrote: Am a little bit worried about the input shafts in the d/r boxes as I have heard that these are not that strong, resulting in why d/r is no longer available in modern subies.
I'd say that the dual range isn't in modern subis as they don't see the need for this in marketing their product. Plus the end consumer doesn't really go offroad anyway.

It's not the input shaft that's the weak bit, it's the low range with a driver that either doesn't know what it is or a driver that abuses it...

This is where they "went wrong" - the low range *should* be on the back of the gearbox - less loading on the drive gears and you can use as much room as your trans tunnel will allow you to build a strong low range. It can be done on a subi box but it's time, money and development that subaru won't put into it, nor I could afford to do - I've got a setup that I reckon that would work, but it's all in my head...

Cheers

Bennie

purp

Post by purp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 am

Can someone please open up Bennies head and get that gearbox out, I want it. :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm

purp wrote:Can someone please open up Bennies head and get that gearbox out, I want it. :)
Well, it's not a gearbox, rather an "add in" to the current AWD setup. It's ultimately flawed in a couple of areas for a simple bolt in without splitting the gearbox front cases, plus the engineering/cost of production as well as the designing and production process are definitely not my strong points!

Probably best for another thread.

Cheers

Bennie

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am

That would be great to hear Bennie!

Update.
The interior of the car is finished!

A/T and H6 out of the car.

Time to rebuild motor and start conversion.

Really excited to have this car on the road.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Saw a green outback with a bull bar this arvo. Makes me really want one. :/

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

Ok, so have been mucking around a bit with other cars so time to get back to the subie.

Have made a custom double din pocket with the 2 way in it. Pretty proud of how it came up lots of space now in the center console. (Will have to take a pic soon)

Stripping the motor is coming along and hope to have the heads off by the end of the day.

Motor out of the car

Popped off the rocker cover to have a look

A few hours of cleaning

Flywheel and clutch from 2.5 motor

Lit kit will be out of the lib and in the H6 at the end of the long weekend as well as clutch pedal set up.

Also have a Subaxtreme Bullbar on the way thanks to member FROG (Andy) :) His help was much appreciated and recommend his services to everyone.

If anyone needs any H6 interior trim pieces or seats or anything let me know.

Will

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Looking great!

How long until you reckon this is all on the road again?

Cheers

Bennie

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Well it sorta has to be finished before Christmas as its towing a boat to SA for a national titles then on to W/A for a bit. So yeah gotta get a bit of a move on. Should get most of it knocked over this long weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] H6 outback 5 speed D/R

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

DCCD pro controller came in the mail today.

Big weekend ahead!

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 pm

So the roo bar is going on the car this weekend. Hopefully have most of the motor back together also!
Having a few issues with the DCCD but I think I have it sussed now.

On the home stretch :D

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 am

Hopefully have some pics of the car with BFGs, Subaextreme bar and hopefully hopefully the motor in it after the weekend. So close.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:06 pm

So today I finally got the car going. After having some issues with the Inhibitor switch (or lack of) the car is running. Still needs a bit done for a RWC such as a few touch ups in the exhaust and some power steering issues.

The DCCD is not in yet either as I'm having a few problems with the output shaft. Also looking for a lower kms Forester box as the one in it has done a few. Will also be thinking of putting higher 5th gear in to bring the revs down closer to the over drive in the auto. More research needs to be done on that however.

So stoaked with the amount of power however shifting gears is interesting with the lift. Will have to make an adapter plate or something to get the linkages working how they should.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Well done mate, reckon it looks good. I like BFG all terrains, they are good off road & last for ages. You must be pleased with all ya hard work.
Cheers

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks man, yeah It's good too see it all pay off that's for sure.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Looks great mate!! I'm really liking it :D Looks like my mates 03 OB.. What kind of lift do you have?

What'd you pay for the BFG's? Do you have a sumpguard? Can you actually get it legally licenced with those tyres?

This is my mates, has 6" lift all up. The crappy low range with the manual got it stuck while trying to pull out my stock ex L-Series

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Neat Hydrowill!

Can't wait to see it out on the tracks someday! I'm guessing it won't be on the road for the cruise?

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “My Subi”