1983 Touring Wagon - It begins

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Bantum wrote:The usual auto store like Supercheap / Repco - should stock it + Come's in tin cans ... :)
Cheers bantum.

haha I could have headed down to the local fish markets for ultimate fail.

GunFactory

Rust

Post by GunFactory » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:16 am

Ok so I did a bit of rust hunting and here are the results:

[ATTACH]3881[/ATTACH]

Doesn't look so bad behind the rear quarter - also below doesn't look like any.

[ATTACH]3882[/ATTACH]

All ok under this shroud. A nice surprise.

[ATTACH]3886[/ATTACH]

Looking a little naked! (me wondering if I remember where everything goes!

[ATTACH]3887[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3888[/ATTACH]

Ohhh, yes.. caked with about a cup of dirt/sand looking rusty
Attachments
image-1.jpg
image-1.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
image-7.jpg
image-7.jpg (16.74 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
image-6.jpg
image-6.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
image-5.jpg
image-5.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 am

Whats a good approach to this bad boy? I got a bit carried away and didnt have all of the equipment so I have a temporary coat of paint over the spot now...

[ATTACH]3889[/ATTACH]

I guess I'm curious because I cant get to the other side of those holes... is this a case for fish oil or something?
Attachments
image-2.jpg
image-2.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
image-10.jpg
image-10.jpg (15.98 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 am

[attach]3891[/attach]

[attach]3892[/attach]

So far I have sanded everything back with a wire brush (angle grinder to bare metal, shiny silver. Due to a lack of gear I applied a coat of underbody spray paint for the mean time.

What are my options from here?
Attachments
image-2.jpg
image-2.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
image-4.jpg
image-4.jpg (24.57 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

Bantum
General Member

Check ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:41 am

Dose'nt look too bad, maybe you got there in time ... :)

For peace of mind I'd get the worse bit cut out and weld in fresh metal. If you can find someone with an inspection camera & see how bad it is inside the structure. You might need to drill some holes + open up where required to get behind it ... :(

Use a rust converter first, then a Zinc primer + get some colour to match existing top coat - yours will also be a metalic 'maroon' from memory ... :)

Once you have done all repairs, I'd do the whole car in a presevant + make sure to get in to all nooks and cranies ... :D

P.S. - While your at it, did you check the other side as well ?

Make sure to lubricate your hinges !

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:27 am

Bantum wrote:
Use a rust converter first, then a Zinc primer + get some colour to match existing top coat - yours will also be a metalic 'maroon' from memory ... :)

Once you have done all repairs, I'd do the whole car in a presevant + make sure to get in to all nooks and cranies ... :D

P.S. - While your at it, did you check the other side as well ?

Make sure to lubricate your hinges !
Hinges had a great lump of grease on them managed to foolishly plunge my fingers deep into it.

I Doused the area in rust converter, with a particular focus on the holes.Then primer and some paint. Getting the car checked out at the mechanic today so saving $$ for that rather than welding.

Anyone have any idea how long rust converter lasts? how long is the rust rendered inert?

The other side was in good condition a couple of tiny rust spots but nothing that had gone all the way through. so rust convert prime and paint there also. Will have to keep an eye on cleaning that area!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

GunFactory wrote: Anyone have any idea how long rust converter lasts? how long is the rust rendered inert?
Well I used some "rust converter and primer" on some parts of my wagon, has the same chemical but is also a water based paint that sets clear...that must have been nearly 2 years ago. Most of it flaked off in the first year and it started rusting again. One or two parts on my front guards are still protected and no new rust to be seen. It could also depend on the product you use i.e how deep it gets into the flakes. The stuff I used wouldn't have gone very deep since it was thick and gloopy.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Hmmm good to know.. I guess that leaves you where you are now replacing steel with steel!

Any estimates on the cost of getting a small section welded? I don't have a welder. I could probably cut a section out though. Are you enjoying the process?? I imagine your getting pretty good at it now!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

What I'm doing with the brumby: wire wheel/flapper disc to bare metal; light coat of "rust buster" (only need a light coat - it goes a long way!); sand back after a couple of days sitting with the rust buster, then seal with red oxide with a tiny bit of turps to make it thinner, this will allow it to weep through the hole and around the surrounding area. The Rust Buster does the same too.

Then primer and high fill if you want. I'm going to be using a product that's like a metal once it's set, can't remember the name though, then primer over the top of that. Paint with what ever you need. With that area I wouldn't be too concerned with colour matching - a black paint would do the job!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GunFactory

Treats from Wollongong

Post by GunFactory » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 am

Visited my mechanic again on Monday, good news 180 -185 psi on each cylinder in compression check. Adjusted tappets (sexy and quiet now) and replaced tappet cover gaskets. Threw out the champion plugs I had put in, apparently had caused him a bit of grief over the years in these subys. New points and adjusted the timing to take advantage of 98 octane fuel. Also noted something about as the points wear out the 'dwell' timing or something changes any how mine was way out - anyone know what this is? or a layman's explanation?

Runs amazingly now. I feel like its far more responsive and has more grunt.

Noticed some holes beginning to appear in the section of exhaust after the cat but immediately before the rear muffler. There are replacement sections of exaust (3 different peices on ebay) on the net but they are about $170 - $180 per section.

Does anyone have experience with getting custom work done? is it even worth it with these cars? would it make more sense to get an exhaust shop to cut the rust section out and replace. Also I think I need a new exhaust doughnut gasket between the exhaust manifold and before the cat. Are these available at Repco or SCA?

Any exhaust ideas?

Also I manages to snap some more pics of what I think is an L series RX (someone had a guess from the engine bay pics i posted ages ago)

Also I'm not sure why my pictures keep coming up so small... haven't had this problem before

[ATTACH]3911[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3912[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3913[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3914[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3915[/ATTACH]

This car is impossibly clean, I haven't seen anything this meticulous ever, the engine bay and underbody look as if they are in show room condition.

Can't really see as the pics are so damn small but the cv's at the rear are the opposite to mine, bending upward to cope with how low it is haha. An interesting look for a suby.

The car looks to still have the original Low range still in it, the owner said it goes easily as hard as some WRX's.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
image-1.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
image-4.jpg
image-4.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
image-2.jpg
image-2.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
image-3.jpg
image-3.jpg (13.79 KiB) Viewed 2853 times

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 pm

El_Freddo wrote: With that area I wouldn't be too concerned with colour matching - a black paint would do the job!
I found some metallic red which matches quite well. Your right though its so far down you cant see it at all!

Trip tomorrow down toward Jervis bay for a couple of nights. Should be fun - loading up!

Anyone got any experience with exhausts? (See above)

Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Exhaust shops - well, simply shop around until you get a price you're keen on for the work you want done.

I had a custom cat back exhaust done on Ruby Scoo - $450, but I didn't have time to shop around for a good price, I simply walked in and in the next day or two dropped the car off for them to do the work in a day. I'm still very happy with the work and "most importantly" the note :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 am

El_Freddo wrote:Exhaust shops - well, simply shop around until you get a price you're keen on for the work you want done.

I had a custom cat back exhaust done on Ruby Scoo - $450, but I didn't have time to shop around for a good price, I simply walked in and in the next day or two dropped the car off for them to do the work in a day. I'm still very happy with the work and "most importantly" the note :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
Cheers Bennie,

I like the sound of that, a bit more of a boxer rumble hey.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:51 pm

GunFactory wrote:I like the sound of that, a bit more of a boxer rumble hey.
Yep. Love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-a3H_P0nFc

:twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

1983wagon

Post by 1983wagon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Hey gunfactory how's the progress of the suby going? Always love to hear about a fellow MY wagons progress :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”