1983 Touring Wagon - It begins

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Revmax, thats fair enough - ill steer clear.
steptoe wrote:
Just check the condition/integrity of the fusible links in the box leading from batt pos, hides just under wiring loom inside right front guard under bonnet . The might not blow ever, but can corrode and cause all sorts of grief.
I checked out the Fusible links today, they look like they are in good condition. This is them below unless I am way off!

[ATTACH]3656[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4360.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 3035 times

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Thats them, did you pull one out and inspect the ends?

Mine looked great on my brumby the ends were great as well. what was really bad was that corrosion under the cloth cover had eaten away the metal, and the PO had used speaker wire to join the ends back together. Pull one out (gently) and then pull the cloth cover back to check the condition of the wire.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm

steptoe

"the centre caps gt brittle - huh, shiny metal , brittle? Think he means the plastic clip that helps hold the metal cap in place can get brittle."

The black caps themselves are plastic with 2 raised sections on the back of them. The clip that presses into the rim centre is metal and via 2 screws attaches to the rear of the front, plastic cap on the 2 raised sections.
As there is a tendancy to knock the caps out when such things as wheel balancing takes place by tapping the rear of the cap the plastic where the 2 screws goes in crackes and sometimes breaks off leaving the steel clip still in the rim and tearing out the 2 screws.
If I was at some stage to use the wheels on a car for show I would probably pour something like resin into the rear of the cap securing the steel clips into the cap. I still wouldnt leave them on permantly though.

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:29 pm

TOONGA wrote:
Pull one out (gently) and then pull the cloth cover back to check the condition of the wire.

TOONGA
The ends look good - but your right, I haven't checked underneath the cloth. Theres a rubber sleeve around each end, did you just force it up feels pretty tight?

Cliff R, Ill make a point of checking out the state of the wheel caps. I love them. They have a subtle red colour in direct light. killer.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:13 pm

If the cloth won't move don't pull on the rubber, as you will never get it back into place.

Mine didn't have the rubber which is probably why they corroded away, that and WA salt air.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks Toonga.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:13 am

Hi and Welcome :cool:

Very cool MY Touring Wagon and at that price, what a bargin !!
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 am

RSR 555 wrote:Hi and Welcome :cool:

Very cool MY Touring Wagon and at that price, what a bargin !!
Cheers RSR,

$900 was the final price pretty damn happy considering its condition.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 am

GunFactory wrote:Cheers RSR,

$900 was the final price pretty damn happy considering its condition.
Oh.. I thought I read it was 'all for free' but hey, even at $900 that's still a bargain :cool:

Very hard to find good ones these days, so take good car of her and enjoy.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 am

Ahhh, I think I was referring to the mechanic who had a good look at the car on the hoist, and then took it for a drive. - That part at least was free!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:57 am

GunFactory wrote:Ahhh, I think I was referring to the mechanic who had a good look at the car on the hoist, and then took it for a drive. - That part at least was free!
Oops.. yeah that makes sense now when I read it again :oops:

Good to know you have someone that you can take it to if you need things done or you have us here if you like tinkering yourself.

As for the steering boots, I'd go aftermarket ones but you need to make sure they have the little bleeder nipple on them. I have them here if you can't find any over there. You'll need to make sure you follow the Workshop Manual if you're going to do it yourself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 pm

RSR 555 wrote:
Good to know you have someone that you can take it to if you need things done or you have us here if you like tinkering yourself.
Yeah, it's definitely a bit of an Insurance policy If I get stuck! Quite keen to have a go myself. CV's. I'll be diving in in the next two weeks, really glad there is an active forum to draw on!.
RSR 555 wrote:
As for the steering boots, I'd go aftermarket ones but you need to make sure they have the little bleeder nipple on them. I have them here if you can't find any over there. You'll need to make sure you follow the Workshop Manual if you're going to do it yourself.
Right, Ill be looking into this soon around the time I attempt the CV's.

Oh - Any suggestions as to which is "better" Gregorys service manual or Haynes? Im keen to buy a hardcopy to keep in the car. I have a PDF of a workshop manual at the moment as well as the 'how to keep your Subaru alive' document.

Cheers RSR.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 pm

No worries mate, we're all here to help :cool:

Here's a cheap workshop manual.. even with postage it shouldn't be too bad
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/whyalla- ... 1004438817

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bantum
General Member

Rear-Windscreen-Louvre ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 am

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:56 am

Oh wow.. Ill keep my eye on that one!!

Cheers Bantum!

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:53 pm

I have a rear window louvre but until I can shift a couple of ride on mowers and a self propelled roller mower (prevous hobbies) I cant get the MY into the garage.
Until I can do this I have taken the louvre off and have it out of harms way and the elements.
Mine is an Auger brand and would crack up in direct weather if left to its own devices.

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Finally got around to adjusting the factory suspension today. Wow. Mind Blown.

Not only did it raise the car by a hell of a lot, The handling and bump/pothole/curb taking characteristics are at least 100% better. Literally cannot believe the improvement.

[ATTACH]3701[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3707[/ATTACH]

Pretty damn happy. Drives like a new car.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (74.68 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (73.19 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:19 pm

You will find that your handling is better due to the spring rate ramp up from adjusting the suspension up.

New springs will possibly see it go higher. What's your down travel/droop like compared to before adjustment? To test this you just use your car jack and measure before jacking and after jacking just before the tyre lifts off the ground. Do this both with the high and low settings. Ideally you would have done it before you wound it up...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:32 am

So, did you set the suspension heights front and back as per the manual or wind the suspension up a bit till the car was higher ?
I could never wind mine up to the heights stated in the Gregories or the Haynes manual without the camber totally stuffing up.
I have no idea what is wrong as all the suspension is the original stuff so should have been good and I measured from all the correct points.
Now the car has the 2" lift it looks about the same as yours in height.
Here is the car with the 2" lift and a set of really crap 14's (got rid of them to the current 13 x 5.5s which are now on the L series. The MY has the original L series sunnies on it at the moment.)
I sold the bullbar too but wouldnt mind another one at some point.
Note louvre on the rear window.

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Nice one Cliff R - for some reason I didn't see your post here. Wagon looks nice!

Yeah I just wound it right up on the front - camber is bad and is wearing the outers of the tyres.

Rear also just wound up. have backed that off a little now however.

Love the louver - I cant justify one at the moment - goodies below are the reason for that.

Return to “My Subi”