60766244's AWD Brumby w/ EA22 conversion

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Looking good there mate! I like your jerry can positioning! I might have to steal that idea someday...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:16 pm

I also like the Jerry can holder idea, & it fits nicely when the tonnaeu cover is closed too.

Lyncho

Post by Lyncho » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Nice brumby mate, looks like you've got some great ideas for it. I too have recently purchased a Brumby for the first time after owning a few Subarus and was wondering where abouts your getting you lift kit from? I've looked around on the web and can't seem to find anywhere that is still doing them

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:38 pm

has anyone done a write up on the stud conversion or is it pretty straight forward

Replies, then...

Post by 60766244 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:06 pm

brockharro wrote:has anyone done a write up on the stud conversion or is it pretty straight forward
It is pretty simple, but since I did it for the first time I did a thread on it. Check it out in the workshop version of this board, it's mentioned somewhere in this thread, or click through my profile and find it that way. Basically you need some time, patience, lug nuts you hate, and a drill-press. Along with a wheel to template from. (Edit: Found thread showthread.php?t=22834 )
Lyncho wrote:Nice brumby mate, looks like you've got some great ideas for it. I too have recently purchased a Brumby for the first time after owning a few Subarus and was wondering where abouts your getting you lift kit from? I've looked around on the web and can't seem to find anywhere that is still doing them
Yeah this brumby is my fifth Subaru. ;) Congrats on the wonder-ute!
I see lift kits pop up every now and then on the web or on this site second hand. Also, if you check out this forum some more you'll see you can get them here also.
I haven't got one yet. But I am fairly confident about finding one easily. A while ago I sold one for an L-Series for only a few hundred bux. :)
Make sure you adjust the suspension some (not maximally) if it still can be done to yours to see if that's enough extra ride height, combined with the 14"s you can be pretty capable for fairly cheap mods...
There's a few threads on this forum about lifting these Subarus...
Rodeo4jake wrote:I also like the Jerry can holder idea, & it fits nicely when the tonnaeu cover is closed too.
El_Freddo wrote:Looking good there mate! I like your jerry can positioning! I might have to steal that idea someday...
Cheers
Bennie
Yeah. Got the idea when picking some junk up from a garage sale. :)
Image Fits pretty snug with the locks on the jerrys - pretty stoked it worked out. And for less than $100 and a few minutes work fitting it's totally worth it.

That said I spent another hour on it today getting it as good...
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

...Updates

Post by 60766244 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Well, got the wiring done for the stereo and 2-Way done now. (Still have to wire them damn spotties.

It took a bit of imagination, a candle and a drill to get that bracket to work within that little box and mount the 2-Way in it, but I think it looks neat enough. That hand-piece hides the nasty plastic job behind it well!

I spent some time on the Jerry-Can Holders again and re-did my first job on it, re-drilled the holes larger and used the mounting-bolts and rubbers that came with it that I should have used the first time.

Also swapped the holders around so the locks would fit. :roll:
Take note of that fellow brumby owners. Will save some time. Thankfully I stuffed it up with both the holders so it was simply a matter of swapping sides and re-bolting...
I ended up taking off the panel and painting it up too. I think it's neater looking.
Anyway, photos!

Empty:
Locked and loaded:

Those wheels you see are some 14"s I acquired today too. Though, I need another wheel or two before I can use them in-case I get a flat. (Anyone got some? Hehe)

Also, can anyone comment on the legality of wind-screen stickers?

Only asking as I heard today that the constabulary don't like them... Me I like them very much! Any info? I will pull it off if legal matters say so... A quick google found me no info on the topic...

Happy Nearly-Friday!
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 am

G'day mate
It's been over 10 years since I did my roadworthy license course but back then if the sticker wasn't in the ark that the wipers pass thru it was legal.
Your Brumby was a great find by the look of it, all the mods look so neatly done. Good job with the UHF & head unit too.

Post by 60766244 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 am

Rodeo4jake wrote:G'day mate
It's been over 10 years since I did my roadworthy license course but back then if the sticker wasn't in the ark that the wipers pass thru it was legal.
Your Brumby was a great find by the look of it, all the mods look so neatly done. Good job with the UHF & head unit too.
That's exactly what I've found said on other forums on the net... As usual the gov't website answers every question but the one you're asking... :rolleyes:
Cheers for the confirm!
I like to take my time with stereo installs so it all goes to plan. :D

Tray liner quotes...

Post by 60766244 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:07 pm

I've been on "Leavers" at Rotto for the week or so but when I got back, I got this lovely email.

Hi Jay-Jay,

Thanks for your inquiry with WA Lining Solutions.

The cost to line the Subaru Brumby will be $575 (inc. GST).

Thanks and kind regards,

Owen Bolger
WA Lining Solutions
Ph 0409682702
http://www.waliningsolutions.com.au
I got a quote for getting the Brumby tray lined. Figured I should post it for any other interested parties.
Half the price I expected it to be!

Though it will be a while until I get the liner happening. I've gotta sell the 1997 2.0 Impreza Sportswagon first. ;) A couple months holidays means tightening that spending!

I also got started on that wheel holder as well - Don't worry, these were only dented up 13"s that I chopped for the template. :rolleyes:

I think I have some box-section lying around I can use to bolt it onto the ute somewhere.

Still undecided where to stick it! Behind cab? Tailgate? Swing-out rear bar? On the side of the wheel-well? Until then it's a bike-lock holding it to the side.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:56 pm

I've been driving around in my beast for a while now, about 3 years. And its not exactly "Legal" As long as you don't do crazy things like 10" liftkit, All round limo tint, hoon around, speed, drive drunk, and that everything is tidy, battery and pod or what ever else is secure, Specially Tires, are all legal, light all working, I always have been ok. I've been stopped a few times for checks, boose bust etc, but never got stickered.
Touching WOOOD right this moment!!!! lol
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 am

I was once told the top 150mm of the windscreen can be tinted / covered to act as a sun sheild, I have no idea if this is still the ruling. I have seen bigger stickers than that on windscreens and some ricers even have shopping lists on the windscreen.

on another note I just sourced 2 rear hubs from the USA (just hubs no discs) for $130 delivered so they are out there, you just need to look :)

I do know someone closer to home with a couple of sets. but Im pretty sure he is hoarding them with all his other parts for future projects :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:08 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I've been driving around in my beast for a while now, about 3 years. And its not exactly "Legal" As long as you don't do crazy things like 10" liftkit, All round limo tint, hoon around, speed, drive drunk, and that everything is tidy, battery and pod or what ever else is secure, Specially Tires, are all legal, light all working, I always have been ok. I've been stopped a few times for checks, boose bust etc, but never got stickered.
Touching WOOOD right this moment!!!! lol
Cheers for the decals. They're great, easy to put on too. Sounds good. :mrgreen:
TOONGA wrote:I was once told the top 150mm of the windscreen can be tinted / covered to act as a sun sheild, I have no idea if this is still the ruling. I have seen bigger stickers than that on windscreens and some ricers even have shopping lists on the windscreen.

on another note I just sourced 2 rear hubs from the USA (just hubs no discs) for $130 delivered so they are out there, you just need to look

I do know someone closer to home with a couple of sets. but Im pretty sure he is hoarding them with all his other parts for future projects

TOONGA
Haha "shopping lists" These stickers are as rice as I'll get I think. Maybe to counter the un-ricing I did by making the exhaust quieter? ;) Thanks for the info.
Good work on the hubs! Are these for your rears? Do a thread about the swap out if it is! :D

I did some more work today, attempted to hook up the wiring on the Ute, thought I had rigged it up fine and then when it came to the switch on, nothing. So I will try again later.
Does anyone have any .pdf's of the wiring of the lights or know of a thread telling you explicitly which wire is connected to the high-beams? I want them to work with the high-beam when engaged.

Update:
I managed a bit of welding work on my Spare-wheel bracket today also, I'm a terrible welder with an Arc, but it's all I've got and it seems pretty strong (survived the drop test without a budge :rolleyes:) It's just a 13" wheel cut, with two sections of square box steel cut to size. No measurements, all done by eye. ;)

Ugly job, but when I paint it and it's got a wheel on it nobody should notice... :mrgreen:

All it needs now are the bolts from SCA that I need to go pick up and some holes drilled in the box to mount on the back of the cab (I think) Either center or mounted closer to the passengers side.

Just need another 14" rim and I can fit it all out...

Happy 1st day of Summer everyone!

...Updates

Post by 60766244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Finished the bracket today, but yet to mount it.

I made a thread about the brackets creation too. Link Here

Then mounted a bracket to hold the bike-frame on the towball. (Needed some chopping not to interfere with the tailgate.)

Then took Brumby for its first tip run in an attempt to clean out that garage some. 8)

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:00 pm

60766244 wrote:I did some more work today, attempted to hook up the wiring on the Ute, thought I had rigged it up fine and then when it came to the switch on, nothing. So I will try again later.
Does anyone have any .pdf's of the wiring of the lights or know of a thread telling you explicitly which wire is connected to the high-beams? I want them to work with the high-beam when engaged.
try this: i think Gannon or possibly Bennie posted this up a while back and I think it is the most clear diagram i have seen yet..

[ATTACH]3710[/ATTACH]

The ute is looking good ;)

Edit: after looking a bit closer at the diagram, i would use the positive from under the dash, not at the lights, and i would put i remote switch in it so you can switch the spotties on and off in the cab.
Attachments
subarudrivinglights.jpg
subarudrivinglights.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 22736 times

Noooice

Post by 60766244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 pm

MTB92 wrote:try this: i think Gannon or possibly Bennie posted this up a while back and I think it is the most clear diagram i have seen yet..

[ATTACH]3710[/ATTACH]

The ute is looking good ;)

Edit: after looking a bit closer at the diagram, i would use the positive from under the dash, not at the lights, and i would put i remote switch in it so you can switch the spotties on and off in the cab.
Hey bud :) The positive from under the dash is what I thought I had found. I guess not. I think I need a photo or a Subaru diagram to figure that one out... Also I might fully re-check all my wiring. :\ I thought it was the red+white wire coming down from the wheel loom, but I am not sure. I might just not have hooked the rest up as nice as I thought. :\

It's a nice diagram. I think I will just need to have a good go at it another day when I'm in the mood... Just have to sell my Impreza so I can rhino-line that tray :rolleyes:

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 am

Yeah that was my diagram, but there should be a revised version that shows a switch.

like this

You can use the wires under the dash, but I wrote at the left headlight because this is where most people mount the relay and the fuse, close to the battery and run a twin back to the switch in the cab
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Spotlights working!

Post by 60766244 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Success!

Gannon wrote:Yeah that was my diagram, but there should be a revised version that shows a switch.

like this

You can use the wires under the dash, but I wrote at the left headlight because this is where most people mount the relay and the fuse, close to the battery and run a twin back to the switch in the cab
Cheers Gannon, (Robbie too) for the diagrams and wire colours! It helped, somewhat. Only one slight discrepancy with the positive supply being Red+Blue at the lights themselves instead of Red+Yellow. The wire inside the cab under the wheel is Red+Yellow as stated.

Maybe this was a variation in between wagons and utes or between single-light and double-light utes? Not sure.

I initially wired up sort-of following the guide with the Red+Yellow (from under the wheel) wire with the switch so as to minimize wiring, but it ended up not working because whenever the switch for the spotlights was flicked on the high-beams would drop out and the spotties turn on.

So I ended up going to the lights themselves and working off the Red+Blue wire to create the success. :)

The diagram for my ute is as follows.

Cheers for the help and I hope it helps others! Hopefully it will be useful over the night-driving that will be happening lots the next few days.

Progress

Post by 60766244 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Today cracked apart the old wheel holder and did some cutting, welding and painting. All the work is with the idea of making the wheel holder be suitable for holding up to two wheels at a time, and, be able to hold various sized rims from 13" to 14". Well, that's the plan...

Note the custom wing-nut :rolleyes: For some reason they don't have any 3/4" sized ones...

Currently it's sitting with its paint drying again, and will be mounted once I have the tray lined.

Finally I have sold that Impreza! Got the same money I bought it for back. The guy didn't even want to take it for a test drive. Just got in, pumped the clutch, brake, and accelerator, I popped the bonnet, he glanced at it. He then asked when the rego was due, signed the papers and was gone in less than 5 minutes.

Brilliant. Nothing was wrong with the car, I just didn't want it and it was taking a while to sell... So, hoorah!

Plans to Rhinoline that tray look like they can progress now some money is floating about. Emails are to be sent tonight.

I also had a call from a Wayne of Mandurah today who might be able to get me some 14"s in exchange for the front bumper I replaced with a bullbar...

Can't wait to have an accurate speedo again and stop needing to rely on the GPS for an idea of my speed.

Speaking of which, some mods are underway to accommodate that GPS better than the windscreen job. :mrgreen:

More photos to come as progress does.

Cheers,

A Non-Update of an Update. Swaps, Destruction and Modifications and Repairs.

Post by 60766244 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 pm

The Good news: I now have 5 x 14" rims - just the spares wheel is a different size to the other four so I need that fixed before I can run them.

The Bad news:
The fella who I swapped my bumper for the 5th wheel buggered my ignition.
Having a stock brumby he requested he could try mine, since it's converted, being polite, I gave him the correct key and sat in the passenger seat.
Being a genius he tried ramming the wrong key (fuel key) in it then forced it some more.
The man who f***ed it told me a load of wallop about this and that and more and less, and declared it was a cheap fix and happens all the time anyways (blaming my car) - though he sort of helping me get the ignition out. (There was no need for this in the end.)
I called some several lock smith fellas and they quoted huge ($300+) for what I thought should be a simple fix or told me I needed Subaru's attention. Idiots.
Being (still somehow) charitable I let him drive it (he had a stock Brumby only a roadside police check off the scrapyard) once we got it going and all he did was complain about this or that, messily changed gears, clunked, and generally drove weirdly, and worked the clutch hard.

After all this I later found he had broken my drivers window winder in his efforts of buggering about and clumsiness. I spent the next hour or five in a rage and cussed a lot at his oafishness and all the broken/damage/unneeded wear caused in less than 20 minutes.

I do note he may browse this forum, but the amount of destruction he caused warrants what has been said.

So, I came to a few resolutions from this, and I hope they help someone here:

- I'm never letting anyone drive it other than myself ever again.
- Even when you're in the passenger seat, people can still do horrible things in your vehicle, even when it's parked up.
- Ignitions with jammed barrels can be easily fixed if jammed by clumsy people. (see below)
- Having no functional window winder is a huge pain in the A**.
- Electric windows I do miss, and will be awesome once installed. I'll do a writeup and thread about it when I fit them.

Better news: I YouTube'd how to fix a jammed ignition with the pins jammed in the barrel, and after a lot of mucking about on the interwebs I found out how to fix this:
- Tools required: A medium sized, plastic handled screwdriver (head type is not important), and the correct key, and a little Inox to help it all along.
- Spray a tiny amount of Inox in to make everything more agreeable.
- Leave for a few minutes to digest.
- Put correct key in the ignition.
- Tap the screwdriver handle against the key in the ignition in a persuading, but gentle fashion 30-50 times whilst holding the pointy end. (Resonate the key.)
- Enjoy a working ignition without giving the Locksmith a bit of your arm, leg and soul. (Or waiting years.)
(I'll make a small thread later once I find my camera again.)

So, while I have a fixed ignition now, I still have broken window winders, so I have a Universal Electric Window Kit coming in the mail from Rapid Electronics (cheaper on Ebay) since these will be so much more awesome in the long run, and I can survive with a broken winder a bit longer.

I am still waiting on the Rhino-Lining mob in Midland to get back to me about when I can get this lovely ute done, and once that's done I can get the spare holder mounted.

I've been working on a sprung-mount for my 12db Phone antenna as it didn't come with one, so that should be up in a few days. (Hopefully I'll be able to make phone calls on my place now. :rolleyes:)

Also looking at moving the rear number plate across since it's nearly entirely blocked by the towbar.

Aside from all this:

I hope everyone had a sterling Christmas period and is looking forward to a new year!

Any cool presents? I got some tooling: Socket Set, a Dremel and Screwdrivers!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 pm

How the heck do you break a window winder?? :confused: And breaking the ignition before you realized it's the wrong key? Unbelievable :(

Sorry you had to suffer someone else's oafishness, but at least you'll get electric windows out of it :o
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “My Subi”