1998 Liberty Wagon

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
WeeGee

1998 Liberty Wagon

Post by WeeGee » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Hey guys,

Thought I'd start to write up on some of the things I have in the works and of course will be planning for in the future for my saggy butt wagon. She's a nice ride but time has started to creep up on her and theres a few things that I'd like to get done.

Current Mods: 2.5" catback, Pioneer double din stereo with subs, dark tint (Most of my attention has gone into servicing and maintaining her, the EJ22 doesn't miss a beat (new hoses, radiator, timing belt, cert belts, filters, plugs, trans serviced, leaks plugged, etc.))

Short Term: Christmas is here! And while I've got a bit of free time the engine will be out. While I've grown to love the smell of burning oil on a cold morning it might be time to plug up some of the more sizable leaks. New cam seals, rear main, rocker covers and that pesky little inspection plate on the rear will get some attention. That should get me through until the long term plans get rolling! Next of course is my rather "floaty" drive... The shocks and springs have seen better days but that is another long termer. I will be replacing the lower control arm bushes (they are currently funked), a nice pile of nolathane goodness is sitting on my desk as we speak. I am also on the hunt for a fatter rear sway bar (20mm im thinking) and some 16" gc8 rims.

Long Term: I havent decided whether to go up or down with the wagon... A nice streeter or a fun sand gliding monster... I have been looking into getting a coilover setup, but am not sure what I want or need yet (5 billion point adjustable flim flams and whatnot). Will probably go factory bilsteins if im keeping it low. Height aside I will be doing a 4 pot brake upgrade on the front (hence the 16s) and if needed will look into the rear. I am heavily considering an upgrade to a turbo motor and for pure ease of fitting it I will be looking for a half cut gtb (Manual box, pedal box, ecu, dash, clutch assembly, wiring harness, etc. Basically all the fruit I'll need so Im not on an endless search for more parts). I'm sure there's stuff I've missed and there'll definitely be more to add as the time rolls by.

I'd love any advice on what I've overlooked, should consider, where to find parts, what to get/not to get or anything helpful. Will post some pics when theres some light outside and will definitely keep you updated on the work I'll be doing in the coming weeks (can get photos and do a quick how to if anyone would be keen? (or a what not to do if it all goes south)).

Thanks guys

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 pm

You should consider some pics ;)

We LOVE pics!! :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 am

El_Freddo wrote:Image

You should consider some pics ;)

We LOVE pics!! :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
agreed!! I was thinking the same!!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Love the "picher" Bennie ;)

WeeGee, you certainly are eying off a few options lol.

I'd love to see you give her a lift. With new suspension, it will still handle well but you'll be able to go places you couldnt before.

Perhaps some Outback springs for a 1" factory lift (a Liberty is basically an Outback anyway). A sump guard is good cheap insurance...

If you're dropping it :-( Bilsteins are good but a bit harsh.

The brake upgrade sounds great, but the turbo upgrade is expensive & difficult, even though there are many who have done it. Also consider your insurance...if you dont get it engineered & you're in an accident, all the assessor has to do is open the bonnet. He will see the turbo & BAM...there goes your insurance. Too bad if its a Mercedes you hit...or that hit you! Either way, you're insurance will be null & void, meaning you may be bankrupt. Not wanting to scare you, just food for thought...

The swaybar's a good idea & I love the Nolathane bushes.

You could also upgrade the lights, & maybe even upgrade the wiring too. I did & the difference is great! Add some HID driving lights & you'll dazzle the wildlife lol :cool:

Lastly, dont forget those pics :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:45 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Love the "picher" Bennie ;)

WeeGee, you certainly are eying off a few options lol.

I'd love to see you give her a lift. With new suspension, it will still handle well but you'll be able to go places you couldnt before.

Perhaps some Outback springs for a 1" factory lift (a Liberty is basically an Outback anyway). A sump guard is good cheap insurance...

If you're dropping it :-( Bilsteins are good but a bit harsh.

The brake upgrade sounds great, but the turbo upgrade is expensive & difficult, even though there are many who have done it. Also consider your insurance...if you dont get it engineered & you're in an accident, all the assessor has to do is open the bonnet. He will see the turbo & BAM...there goes your insurance. Too bad if its a Mercedes you hit...or that hit you! Either way, you're insurance will be null & void, meaning you may be bankrupt. Not wanting to scare you, just food for thought...

The swaybar's a good idea & I love the Nolathane bushes.

You could also upgrade the lights, & maybe even upgrade the wiring too. I did & the difference is great! Add some HID driving lights & you'll dazzle the wildlife lol :cool:

Lastly, dont forget those pics :p

You're all over the place mate hehe... one side you want it as standard road use or off roader looks like you cant make up your mind with!

Bilstiens arent good idea for off road and too harsh, and they are slightly lowered than standard struts and they use different springs than standard. They're hard to find good nick - I did have them in my wagon once but took them out as it was too harsh for my liking.

Outback standard springs are same as liberty springs so you would need raised springs to give you less than 1" lift. If you go for Outback struts with liberty springs will be extra 1" if you get raised springs with outback struts will be at least 1.5", you also can install lift kit to get extra lift, but you will need to install cross member blocks otherwise you'll have problems with excessive tyre wear and torn cv joints prematurely.

You can find L series or early Liberty sump gaurd which is 1.5-2mm thin plate or get heavy duty one - things change if you install lift blocks in.

You could get GT brakes fitted or twin pot... I've never experienced that as i was happy with Liberty brakes.

I did install outback sway bar (now for sale) in my Liberty even standard i did notice the difference because it was thicker, its the same bar as GT Liberty/Legacy.

Headlight - I strongly recommend projector headlights with HID in it.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:48 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:You're all over the place mate hehe... one side you want it as standard road use or off roader looks like you cant make up your mind with!

Bilstiens arent good idea for off road and too harsh, and they are slightly lowered than standard struts and they use different springs than standard. They're hard to find good nick - I did have them in my wagon once but took them out as it was too harsh for my liking.

Outback standard springs are same as liberty springs so you would need raised springs to give you less than 1" lift. If you go for Outback struts with liberty springs will be extra 1" if you get raised springs with outback struts will be at least 1.5", you also can install lift kit to get extra lift, but you will need to install cross member blocks otherwise you'll have problems with excessive tyre wear and torn cv joints prematurely.

You can find L series or early Liberty sump gaurd which is 1.5-2mm thin plate or get heavy duty one - things change if you install lift blocks in.

You could get GT brakes fitted or twin pot... I've never experienced that as i was happy with Liberty brakes.

I did install outback sway bar (now for sale) in my Liberty even standard i did notice the difference because it was thicker, its the same bar as GT Liberty/Legacy.

Headlight - I strongly recommend projector headlights with HID in it.
Cheers
AP
Funny that - was thinking about Bilstien in Gen 4 wagon as I hate these standard suspensions it has. I recently drove an SpecB and it has Bilstien and i noticed big difference and loved it! Very firm and glued on the road and could go faster around the corners.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah, I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Theres some pretty solid points in there though, thanks for the advice guys. I'll just smash it all out a bit at a time and see where it goes. HIDs would be cool, I've been eyeing off a set of projectors and I wouldn't mind a gtb grille to really make the front pop... And of course a momo, one of the wooden ones to match the veneer. As for engineering and licensing the turbod motor I've got a few contacts through work, as long as you've done all the groundwork for it and it's fitted properly theres never too much hassle, just gotta save the pennies :-/ I'm leaning more towards raising it at the moment, but I'll probably change my mind 10 times before anything happens ;-)

I couldn't leave you without some "pichers"; I pulled out the motor yesterday (probably a two hour job). Will be doing bushes this arvo and if I have the time/energy r/covers and other seals.
Attachments
IMG_20121223_141516.jpg
IMG_20121223_141516.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
IMG_20121223_125042.jpg
IMG_20121223_125042.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
IMG_20121223_121629.jpg
IMG_20121223_121629.jpg (74.23 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
IMG_20121223_121613.jpg
IMG_20121223_121613.jpg (74.55 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
IMG_20121221_101034.jpg
IMG_20121221_101034.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 3875 times

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:53 pm

some more *sorry for the shitty camera phone quality*
Attachments
IMG_20121223_152133.jpg
IMG_20121223_152133.jpg (68.81 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
IMG_20121223_151908.jpg
IMG_20121223_151908.jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
IMG_20121223_145219.jpg
IMG_20121223_145219.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Cool sunroof model... search on JPM posts, He just raised his.
Keep the pics coming:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Auto eh?

Will you be replacing the water pump and timing belt while you're doing the cam and crank seals?

I reckon your subi's asking to be lifted :twisted:

My 5 cents anyway ;)

Cheers

Bennie

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Timing belt i paid to get done a while back... what a nightmare... fans fell off and onto the block, crank pulley flew off in the middle of nowhere, a selection of busted clips and now leaky cam seals... hence why im training to be a mechanic, apparently it can't he that hard.

Quick query about the front LCA bushes; i have nolathane replacements but they dont quiteI look right, they are a 2 piece deal with the slide in centre. The centre piece is the right length but the nolathane sections seem a little short. I measured the inside section at 40mm combined but the lca itself is 45mm long meaning theres a gap between the two when fitted. Also its very tight up against the subframe mount as the nolathane sticks out a bit further than the centre piece. Anyone had any issues with these? Im guessing theres a different size set of bushes that i dont know about : -s

Thanks

(Yeah, its a silver anniversary so its got all the bells and whistles; climate control, wood trim, sunroofs, etc.)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:33 am

Looks in good nic :cool: I'm with Bennie.. LIFT IT !! :D
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Engine is back in and purring like a kitten. The front end is nice and tight, it feels great. Lash adjustment definately made a huge difference, its super quiet now. Im very happy with the results it was well worth the effort!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:24 pm

WeeGee wrote:Lash adjustment definately made a huge difference, its super quiet now. Im very happy with the results it was well worth the effort!
Lash adjustment on the valve rocker arms? I've heard the Gen2's have solid lash adjusters where as the Gen1's have hydraulic valve lash adjusters - correct? Any advantage to the solids?

Cheers

Bennie

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Yeah, they were getting a little rattley. Hydraulic lifters can get blocked or fail but at the end of the day they do the same job. Theres a little more to it when you're looking at high performance applications but for street its not too big a deal.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 pm

WeeGee wrote:Theres a little more to it when you're looking at high performance applications but for street its not too big a deal.
I'm aware of that, I just wanted to clarify that it was the rocker arms ;)

Glad it's worked a treat. Something to keep an eye on with my mate's Liberty :D

Cheers

Bennie

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

NEW WHEELS! A near flawless set of four for a sweet $50... yes one of them is black, but theyll be sand blasted and powder coated before the new rubber goes on.

Attachments
IMG_20130115_171341.jpg
IMG_20130115_171341.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 3494 times

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Rims are back from the powdercoaters. I went for a charcoal, they're not too shabby looking ;-)

Attachments
IMG_20130211_135012.jpg
IMG_20130211_135012.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Can't wait to see what they look like on the car - this is where they'll really show their true colour ;)

Cheers

Bennie

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Tyres should be on tomorrow. I've gone for a 215/55r16, hopefully they'll clear alright. Can't wait to get them on the car (still need to find some paint for the center caps and am still waiting on a new set of black lug nuts)!

Return to “My Subi”