New Car City! RX Turbo

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Today we masked up around the windscreen to do some painting.

Bog's all sanded back and flush with the proper shape. Put some rust converter on the leftover patches and it seems to have worked :)

Will be painting in the next week. Have midsemester exams for uni at the moment so there isn't much time for anything other than study lately :(

This was before I sanded it back

All masked up

There was more cancer in the poor bitch than you could shake a stick out so I'm hoping this will all turn out :(

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:47 pm

I like your work Tom, just curious, did you treat the rust or just bog it?

If bogged it then you can expect trouble down the track with rust.

Looking good though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I like your work Tom, just curious, did you treat the rust or just bog it?

If bogged it then you can expect trouble down the track with rust.

I ground out as much of the rust as I could without ruining the whole sill, then sanded it back and got the whole sill back as close to bare metal as I could, and then I used rust converter/treatment on it, then bogged it up. So it should be okay, but we'll see down the road :)

I have painted it all now, I have pictures but they're on my phone at the moment. And just waiting for the old mate who's been helping me to get some free time so we can get the replacement windscreen in and sealed :)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Soooo, painted and nice again. Turned out alright, nice solid patch to seal to now :D

All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat May 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Okay, haven't posted here in a while so it's time for an update I suppose :)

Weather's getting worse up here in Bris-vegas so it's a bit tough to get anything done, have been chipping away though.

Got the windscreen in and sealed, just need to do a neat bead of sikaflex around the edge of the sealant goo to make it look purdy.

Got the dash back in, everything works, heater/demister and all that. Do need a new aircon set up though (the gas bottle deally and connectors) but that's not urgent so who cares.
Just need to re-fit my sound system into it from the Brumby but again that's not urgent either.

Ground out a little piece of steel from the front near the radiator so the cap isn't so obstructed. Also put in a pair of good earths from the battery with good contact which it kind of needed.

Ground/sanded/converter-treated all the rust in the boot wells. Then I cut 2 small pieces of sheet steel and beat them into shape to fit the 2 small rust holes and they fit very nicely. Just need to sikaflex them in to seal it and then bog it up from the outside and paint it.

Boot latch is still giving me troubles, don't really know what the issue there is.
The tooth and catch were a little bent so I pilfered the ones out of the parts car and refitted them into mine, still had the same issue.
It seems like the tooth isn't coming down far enough to engage the mechanism, so the only thing I can think of is removing the rubber seal around the edge which would probably fix the problem but create more issues in the process. Just thinking out loud.

Any ideas from anyone would be great :)

Swapped the rear passenger handle mechanism with Leonie's since it just straight up didn't work. Now it works well and I cut out the masonite board and plastic covering so I can fit some 6" speakers when I get my hands on a good pair.

Also got some seat covers for the front to cover up the tears. Sanded and resprayed the plates on the rails of the seats black too so they don't look so rusty.

Made up a battery bracket to fit too, so the battery doesn't roll around anymore and isn't held in place with zipties :p

Sorry for the essay, should keep on top of this haha

Cheers,
Tom.

EDIT: Pictures to come when I get them off my phone :D
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Busybusy boy! She's looking real' sweet. Not sure how I missed the last update with the windscreen repair work.

Almost makes me keen on tackling my tray...

Almost.

Good luck on solving your problems my friend. I'm sure you'll find a simple solution to the complex problem. :)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun May 12, 2013 11:20 pm

60766244 wrote:I'm sure you'll find a simple solution to the complex problem. :)
Hopefully, also hoping the fuel issue is simple. But I'm probably going to have to replace the fuel pump :(
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue May 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Updating again, got a bit done today after uni as well.

All in all in the past 2 weeks/today:

Got the windscreen in

Seats back in

Dash back in (before and after brain surgery)

Boot catch fixed (today) turns out it was just the catch sitting too far into the housing, easy fix. Note the high tech equipment used to fix this problem :p
The flaked off paint was not my doing but I don't know how to stop it without respraying the lot :(
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue May 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Rust inhibited the holes in the boot and sikaflaxed in some bent metal pieces, nearly ready for bog and paint

Pilfered a face plate for the head unit cavity from the donor car, still need to change it out for a good one though

Fitted/wired in a horn I nicked out of the busted-ass 80 series

Ground out a small section of frame near the radiator cap since it wasn't sitting right and I've cut my thumb twice trying to get it off. If you follow the line straight along the angle it's at closest to the front bumper, that's where it used to pass

Found a belt guard and fitted it

Modded this bracket a little to stop the battery floating around, small mod but necessary

New hoses and repaired heater/demister unit
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue May 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Cut wheel arch flares, not fitting until I get roadworthy though, one less thing for them to ping me for having big wheels

And now the most recent concern, a very leaky power steering hose, note the pink shit all over that little mount. Was going all over the head and the headers before I noticed it. Started her up today and it just started smoking off. Nearly shit myself but as far as I can tell its just this hose leaking. Should be a quick fix

Also a little bit of non-Subaru, Levin/Hachi-Roku goodness I ran into at the train station the other day :D

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Mate you've put some good hard work in there. Very productive!

Is that plastic the same Bunnings garden edging I used at one point? ;)
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu May 16, 2013 3:54 pm

60766244 wrote:Is that plastic the same Bunnings garden edging I used at one point? ;)
Maybe :rolleyes:
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Maybe :rolleyes:
Hehe It's so distinct.

Trend setter. :cool:

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 pm

60766244 wrote:Hehe It's so distinct.

Trend setter. :cool:
I think being 155 peanuts cheaper was the trend ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Righto, time for an update.

I have done very little in the past month, had exams for uni so it's been a bit hectic at home.
But I managed to get all the bogging done in the rear and painted the belt guards a very smashing blue colour.
Have since found a big patch of rust on the inner side of the rear passenger's door, which is visible, so that needs repairing.
Cleaned all the seats and painted all the mounts gloss black which looks pretty schmick.
Replaced the rear deck speakers with decent Pioneers, just need to wire in my amp and the 6x9s.
Surging issue was persistent right up until rego ran out so I still don't know what the issue is. I'm assuming fuel pump is on it's last legs, or I may need to sort out a surge tank since it only surges/drops out under acceleration, braking, hillclimbs or cornering. So basically all the time, but anyway.
Can anyone recommend a good fuel pump for price? I don't want a 2nd hand/wrecker's pump, would rather a Bosch or similar from Autobarn. Cheers

I am ridiculously keen to get this thing on the road but there's been so many little set backs and it's starting to shit me to tears having her sitting in my shed unregistered and unused :'(
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Bantum
General Member

Caution ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:
I'd spend a bit of time with a hammer & dolly to 'round' off the edge ...
+ make it look a bit more 'factory', as the rego guys might pick you up on that.

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:29 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:I am ridiculously keen to get this thing on the road but there's been so many little set backs and it's starting to shit me to tears having her sitting in my shed unregistered and unused :'(
I know your pain mate!

Unfortunately it's all about consistent, quality work that will get you there. Just keep your focus and you'll get there ;) Not much else I can give you than that!

Cheers

Bennie

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Haven't updated in a while,

Everything is finished. Everything. Finally!

Just need someone to come round and do a RWC for it now, but no one will get back to me, it's been 2 weeks and not a single mechanic has contacted me back after 1 or 2 messages left on each of them :(

Anyway, it'll get done, in the mean time. Pictures!

This is the fleet :)

Dad's Brumby "Emma", my RX "Roxy", my Leone "Leonie", Mum's Foz, with no name, just her baby
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Neat line up mate! That RX looks mean with it's height!

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Very nice lineup :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “My Subi”