New Car City! RX Turbo

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:41 pm

I had a surging issue when I did an EA82 MPFI conversion to my carbie L series. I never got to the bottom of that issue but I think it had something to do with the small return line to the fuel tank.

Since going EJ I've upgraded to an EFI tank and replaced the return line to the larger unit - I've not had any surging issue since - I'm even running the same external EFI fuel pump from the EA82 MPFI without any issues.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:29 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I had a surging issue when I did an EA82 MPFI conversion to my carbie L series. I never got to the bottom of that issue but I think it had something to do with the small return line to the fuel tank.

Since going EJ I've upgraded to an EFI tank and replaced the return line to the larger unit - I've not had any surging issue since - I'm even running the same external EFI fuel pump from the EA82 MPFI without any issues.

Cheers

Bennie
Well it has gone from EA82T (EFI) to an EJ22N/A (EFI) so I don't know if it's that.

Tomorrow is my Saturday (kitchen work, no such thing as a weekend) so I'll be having a closer look at everything then.

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 am

I've replaced the fuel pump but that hasn't helped. I'll have to check all of the sensors tomorrow and take the fuel tank out for a wash.

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:I've replaced the fuel pump but that hasn't helped. I'll have to check all of the sensors tomorrow and take the fuel tank out for a wash.
I'd double check the return fuel line diametre and I'd also clean the IACV to make sure it's closing properly. This has a coolant passage in it too so be aware of that before pulling it off. Do not play with the solenoid on top - too hard to adjust back to where it's needed ;)

Check your compression too if you can.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Cheers

Bennie

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:16 pm

"Update" I suppose.

Haven't done anything really :( been spending too much time working on this damn thing. But it will be my car soon so I can't complain too much ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm

OH MY GOODNESS.

MY BABY'S BACK!

Replaced the MAF sensor with one from a gen 2 from NSW. $40 posted. Fitted it this morning. Runs like a god damn bird!

Finally got it to run some error codes too, didn't seem to make sense so I called Turbo Yoda and Dose Vader at AM Auto on the sunny coast and had a chat. And it looks like the neutral switch and starter switches are both a bit funky. Need to run a T off the ignition signal wire to the ecu which will hopefully fix the "not wanting to start at all when it's cold" issue. Neutral switch isn't really affecting anything so meh, ignore that shit.

So happy. Giggled like a bloody schoolgirl all the way home listening to her :)

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:19 am

Good work mate! One reason why I enjoy EFI over carb these days! One thing, or several and the best bit is that the ECU gives you hints as to what to check out :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:07 pm

It's one of the reasons I dislike EFI hahaha, theres so much more to an issue than just the mechanicals :(
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:20 am

Oh it's been a long time since I've updated this...

The surging issue came back about 3 months ago so I got the shits and finally just sprayed the hell out of all the fuel lines with a compressor. When I got back to the tank and took the pump feed line off it was just trickling like a pensioners old fella. So I blasted that and it started gushing out, haven't had an issue since, HAZA!

Anyways, the old girl is getting rougher by the day, there's a leak somewhere in the firewall which is absolutely drenching the front foot wells every time it rains, and when you combine that with mud from my boots from work... Well let's just say there was a small plant literally rooted in and growing in the driver's side well :(

My steering wheel was perishing and the horn mechanism fell to bits, had to replace it with the one out my old parts bomb.

I got defected for having tyres outside the guards so now it's running those tiny 175/70r13s from a brumby.

Got fined twice in two successive nights for speeding when I fitted them since they spin up so much faster now.

Not that I like to admit it, but it's way more fun on the road now with skinny, small diameter tyres haha.

The key no longer locks the doors from outside, but still unlocks them.

My thermofans have shit themselves and so I have hairy drives every now and then because I don't want to sit in traffic for too long in case she overheats, but I also don't want to shut her down all the time in case she doesn't start.

Long story short I've been looking for a gen 3 H6 outback :D

Cheers
Tom
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Gold. Sounds like it's time for a resto!!

Get the outback online and shove the RX in the shed for some resto work. The leak will be a hole under the windscreen that allows water into the cab.

Cheers

Bennie

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:49 pm

That's the plan bennie, and yeah I figured it would be, when I sorted the rust out I noticed some perfectly round holes around the base of the sill so I left them as they were.

Cheers
Tom
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:50 am

Those L's don't need a windscreen to be removed to find rust under the wiper arms. Time to scrap it and sell me the disc rear :)
member since 10january2014 #6191

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 pm

have you cleaned the drain holes near the corners of the windscreen? It was more of a problem on either the S1 or S2, I can't remember which.
Are you sure that it's not a split heater hose? They have a bad habit of splitting on the back of the heater box. Try looping the engine bay one back on itself for a little while to see if the problem stops.
Besides, you don't need a heater in Qld anyway :p

And I might have a spare RX steering wheel laying around. I know I've ended up with some double up of the RX black interior pieces.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Return to “My Subi”