New Car City! RX Turbo

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:43 pm

When ever I see red and yellow now, I think of the Macca's sponsored grey wagon of Guyph
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

RSR 555 wrote:When ever I see red and yellow now, I think of the Macca's sponsored grey wagon of Guyph
What now?
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:24 pm

So this is what $117 looks like nowadays

Rocker covers (maybe even intake manifold) and rust repair over the Easter long weekend/Uni mid-semester break :D

ADD: 60766244, the white cans are the cans you can get mixed at Autobarn. Well worth it :)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 pm

1 other thing. Saw this on the way home and couldn't help taking a picture

Straya!
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm

That's gold! Never seen that before but I like it.

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

And +10 Respect to UQ today :D

All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:And +10 Respect to UQ today :D
Really not worthy - it's just a bog stock foz. Now if it was a WRX STi or an old school L series/MY then I'd be paying my respects!

My 5c anyway.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post by 60766244 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm loving this thread.

Seen thongs before as mudguards but not on a nice newish car. Only on old rusty trailers!

Keen to go to Autobarn tomorrow!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:49 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Really not worthy - it's just a bog stock foz. Now if it was a WRX STi or an old school L series/MY then I'd be paying my respects!

My 5c anyway.

Cheers

Bennie
Every other company car is a stock bombadore wagon, first Subi I've seen there in 2 years so I was more surprised than anything :p

There is a bloke with a brand spankin' WRX getting around campus though, pretty sure he's just a student though
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Time for a bit of an update,

Whenever I say "we" in this thread, I am referring to myself and a good mate of mine who is a Subaru mechanic/panel beater/auto-elec/supergenius/Batman who I regularly con into giving me a hand with my cars :D

So today we took out the windscreen, was cracked pretty bad and needs replacing for a roadworthy. And so...
Today's depressing discovery, windscreen cancer :(

Some surface, some big-ass holes, did a fair bit of sanding and grinding and bogging.
Monday I'll be sanding and rust treating and priming and painting. Hoping to whatever gods are out there that it will be okay :( No holes in the pillars though, only along the bottom and top, which is a little bit of an upside

Dog wasn't worried though

And a little bit of interior surgery to get all the fan/heater/AC unit out, way more work than we expected. Needed to be detailed anyway

Also did a cheeky respray job around the fuel filler door. Dodgy as hell though so I'll be saving those pictures for when I fix it hahaha
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

My house, in the middle of my street

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 pm

So in following Jay-Jay, here's a couple of the block from the floods in 2011 (I think)

The view from 1 side of our verandah

And with some vehicles

And from the deck, this is the old man's shed

These are just the front section of the 42 acres, down the back is basically just pine forest etc. Just for scale the dam is about 55m wide and from the middle of the headwall to the point it's about 75m

More from down the back to come. Plus car updates too I suppose :p
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Sorry about the windscreen. She's looking sad, hopefully when I get mine done at some point there's no issue! :|

I like how green all yours is! Mine needs a dam, oneday... It looks very, very pretty and green!
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 am

60766244 wrote:Sorry about the windscreen. She's looking sad, hopefully when I get mine done at some point there's no issue! :|

I like how green all yours is! Mine needs a dam, oneday... It looks very, very pretty and green!
Yeah when it rains it's an amazing colour.

Bogged the windscreen up, just waiting for some free time to sand it back and rust treat so I can paint!

If you're looking at getting it done, do it as soon as possible. If the rust gets into the frame, there isn't much meat there and it eats right through. I have holes I can literally stick 2 fingers through without touching the sides :(
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Yeah when it rains it's an amazing colour.

Bogged the windscreen up, just waiting for some free time to sand it back and rust treat so I can paint!

If you're looking at getting it done, do it as soon as possible. If the rust gets into the frame, there isn't much meat there and it eats right through. I have holes I can literally stick 2 fingers through without touching the sides :(
There's ZERO rust throughout Maple, none visible anywhere around the screen. But you never know until you take everything apart.

Simply, fingers crossed. :)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:31 pm

60766244 wrote:There's ZERO rust throughout Maple, none visible anywhere around the screen. But you never know until you take everything apart.

Simply, fingers crossed. :)
Good to hear :D

Sanded mine back today, put a tiny bit more bog in and sat the old windscreen across it to check the shape. Like a glove ;)

Just need to paint everything up tomorrow and stick the replacement in without breaking it :)

Fingers crossed too
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Today we masked up around the windscreen to do some painting.

Bog's all sanded back and flush with the proper shape. Put some rust converter on the leftover patches and it seems to have worked :)

Will be painting in the next week. Have midsemester exams for uni at the moment so there isn't much time for anything other than study lately :(

This was before I sanded it back

All masked up

There was more cancer in the poor bitch than you could shake a stick out so I'm hoping this will all turn out :(

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:47 pm

I like your work Tom, just curious, did you treat the rust or just bog it?

If bogged it then you can expect trouble down the track with rust.

Looking good though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I like your work Tom, just curious, did you treat the rust or just bog it?

If bogged it then you can expect trouble down the track with rust.

I ground out as much of the rust as I could without ruining the whole sill, then sanded it back and got the whole sill back as close to bare metal as I could, and then I used rust converter/treatment on it, then bogged it up. So it should be okay, but we'll see down the road :)

I have painted it all now, I have pictures but they're on my phone at the moment. And just waiting for the old mate who's been helping me to get some free time so we can get the replacement windscreen in and sealed :)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Soooo, painted and nice again. Turned out alright, nice solid patch to seal to now :D

All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat May 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Okay, haven't posted here in a while so it's time for an update I suppose :)

Weather's getting worse up here in Bris-vegas so it's a bit tough to get anything done, have been chipping away though.

Got the windscreen in and sealed, just need to do a neat bead of sikaflex around the edge of the sealant goo to make it look purdy.

Got the dash back in, everything works, heater/demister and all that. Do need a new aircon set up though (the gas bottle deally and connectors) but that's not urgent so who cares.
Just need to re-fit my sound system into it from the Brumby but again that's not urgent either.

Ground out a little piece of steel from the front near the radiator so the cap isn't so obstructed. Also put in a pair of good earths from the battery with good contact which it kind of needed.

Ground/sanded/converter-treated all the rust in the boot wells. Then I cut 2 small pieces of sheet steel and beat them into shape to fit the 2 small rust holes and they fit very nicely. Just need to sikaflex them in to seal it and then bog it up from the outside and paint it.

Boot latch is still giving me troubles, don't really know what the issue there is.
The tooth and catch were a little bent so I pilfered the ones out of the parts car and refitted them into mine, still had the same issue.
It seems like the tooth isn't coming down far enough to engage the mechanism, so the only thing I can think of is removing the rubber seal around the edge which would probably fix the problem but create more issues in the process. Just thinking out loud.

Any ideas from anyone would be great :)

Swapped the rear passenger handle mechanism with Leonie's since it just straight up didn't work. Now it works well and I cut out the masonite board and plastic covering so I can fit some 6" speakers when I get my hands on a good pair.

Also got some seat covers for the front to cover up the tears. Sanded and resprayed the plates on the rails of the seats black too so they don't look so rusty.

Made up a battery bracket to fit too, so the battery doesn't roll around anymore and isn't held in place with zipties :p

Sorry for the essay, should keep on top of this haha

Cheers,
Tom.

EDIT: Pictures to come when I get them off my phone :D
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Return to “My Subi”