Nachaluva's Foz

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
NachaLuva
General Member

Nachaluva's Foz

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 am

Two years ago I got a heartbreaking call that my brother in law had suddenly died from Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS). He was a strong, healthy, fit man. They found him slumped over the table at work...apparently he was dead before he even hit the table, so at least he didn’t suffer at all.

My sister offered me his car, so I bought it. It was their 3rd Subie but my 1st.

I soon got tired of the poor lights so set out on my 1st mod...a headlight wiring upgrade & upgraded H4 bulbs. I soon ran into problems which is how I came upon AuSubaru while researching the wiring.

After much work & lots of help, esp from Gannon, my 1st mod was finished:
Headlights Wiring Upgrade - AUSubaru

My 1st trip offroad was soon after to picturesque & historic Walhalla:

I discovered my suspension was completely shot, springs sagging & strut bouncing. With help from the forum I decided on raised King springs & new KYB struts. Very happy with the much improved handling & increased clearance, but I wish so much I had got the gen2 rear struts (SG) L

A SubaXtreme sumpguard was next. I guess it did its job of protecting the sump but I found it very brittle & was soon falling apart L

A ********* guard soon replaced it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes that's the only trouble with Subaextreme bash plates if your doing a lot of rough off-roading you will break it. Mine is the same broken in two places.
If you have a steel one you can bend it back into shape that's what i will be doing when mine dose break in two

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Looking good mate! Keen to get out there again with you, especially since you've got some lift!

It's about time you started a build thread!!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Some great trips followed such as Mt.Cole

Bunyip:

Wombat:

Iridium plugs soon found their way into the engine. The next mod was hard wiring the rear accessories socket & an extra twin socket in the front:
Accessory plug consant 12V power - incl a walkthru

I was sick of the heavy & ugly steelies & hated how the mud built up on them making them very unbalanced. I found a set at a wrecker, a little scratched but not bad. Steelie front, alloy rear:

Soon after I started on my 2" body lift kit. I wanted to strengthen it as well as sealing the ends to prevent rust, also tie the front control arm blocks together & also the rear trailing arm/moustache bar blocks. This would make it more stable & stop metal fatigue. Thread here:
Matt's Body Lift Kit

Before:

After:

It took a while but was well worth it Image:twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:03 pm

The rear wheels were now sitting too far forward, so I modified the rear trailing arms:

Before:

After:

They are now sitting where they're meant to be Image

Thread here:
Rear Trailing Arms

Next was the exhaust, it was sitting way too low after the lift, plus needed to be replaced anyway.

Old:

New:

I made up a slider for it so it wouldnt catch on rocks & twist like it had done previously, also protect it from dents:
My exhaust slider

Then I had the muffler lifted:

The middle section still hangs low but I cant do anything about it as the resonator hits on the driveshaft centre bearing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Next on the list was the woeful open rear diff Image

I found a JDM WRX STi V2 2-way plated diff centre & brought it to Rick (who did Venom’s & El Freddo’s gearboxes) & got him to check it out & assemble it. He said the plates were like new!

Assembled:

Then I had to source some matching axles for it. The LSD centre uses different stubs than the open centre, so I brought the whole diff to Brian at SubaBits who identified ’97 WRX axles as the correct ones & even test fitted them for me. They fit! Image

SF Foz axle stubs:

WRX LSD axle stubs:

He regreased the inner CVs & put on new boots & gave me a nice deal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Then came time to install it. Not looking forward to this as I’d heard horror stories of how difficult it was to remove the 32mm castellated nuts & even worse removing the axles from the hubs. Thanks to a 5’ pipe extension, the nuts came off easily. By using a hammer on a block of wood against the axle stubs, they came out easily too...relief! :mrgreen:

Putting the pLSD diff in with the breather hose was a little more difficult as the plug kept coming out, but we got it done. Then the axles went in nice & easy & everything was bolted back together.

The breather tube was routed through the top of the diff carrier then along & over the fuel filler pipe, through a very handy hole in the chassis rail, up behind the plastic guard in the wheel arch & through an also very handy grommet in the top of the Strut tower. A small fuel filter will be added here to hopefully prevent diff fumes from entering the cabin.

Breather hose coming out of the top of the diff carrier:

Through the chassis rail next to the fuel filler breather hose:

Up through the top of the strut tower:

Into the cabin, high away from any possible water no matter how deep I go!

A fuel filter to keep the fumes out of the cabin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Awesome!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks again to Venom :D

I've driven it a few times now & its very smooth. The next test will be its manners in the wet but the big challenge will be how effective it is with a wheel lifted offroad....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm

cool, Looks very good... Keep the mods coming:) I've got one question, how did you fit the breather hose on the back of the diff?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I've got one question, how did you fit the breather hose on the back of the diff?
I took out the factory breather, took the outer cap off, drilled out the plug & forced 6mm PVC hose (fuel safe) down the middle. Its a very tight fit so the hose will seal well & won't come out, the hard part was the plug kept coming out as we pushed the diff into place
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Well, the mods havent stopped Image

It took a while but I eventually found a set of 4 plus set of 5 Audi forged 15" alloys with +38 offset (steelies are +48 offset). Also 4 centre caps.

I then had to get hubcentric rings to locate the wheel properly on the hub centre:

The Audis use a ball seat wheel nut (Subie uses cone) but a different thread, so I got custom nuts from the States:

Got my Kuhmo Venturer 215/75/15 muddies fitted:

I had my Geolanders AT-s fitted to the other set of Audi rims, removed the Audi logo from the centre caps & applied carbon vinyl wrap in a silver colour.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm

The Kuhmos wouldn't fit on the rear due to low spring perches & horrible SF Foz offset, so I got some bolt on wheel spacers:

Before Front:

After Front:

Before Rear:

After rear:

They also help dramatically with the handling :twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Some creature comforts next...

Dash mat to reduce glare of the vinyl dash. Sheepskin seat covers. It feels great, its cool in summer & warm in winter, plus adds a little to the height of the seat so now I feel higher lol Image

I got tired of the skinny little 11mm OEM rear swaybar, so fitted a 20mm one from a GC8 WRX:

Also flipped the rear lateral arms over so the end links connect on top not under the arms, lifting them by 2”. Now the endlinks reach lol

Then I finally pulled out my finger & did my snorkel:

Installation thread here:
DIY Snorkel Installation

It has a nice throaty growl now under full throttle over ~3500rpm & noticeably more power across the whole range :twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:24 pm

The rims look great and almost like they should be on there from factory. Nice work :)

Do I spot quick release pins in the swaybar links?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:51 pm

RSR 555 wrote:The rims look great and almost like they should be on there from factory. Nice work :)

Do I spot quick release pins in the swaybar links?
The rims are soooo light but still strong. About 5 1/2kg compared to OEM steelie 9 1/2kg!. Being forged they should bend not crack if they cop a big hit.

Yep quick release pins...a must for offroad lol :wink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm

NachaLuva wrote:The rims are soooo light but still strong. About 5 1/2kg compared to OEM steelie 9 1/2kg!. Being forged they should bend not crack if they cop a big hit.
Very nice :) Love to see it in SA next year
NachaLuva wrote:Yep quick release pins...a must for offroad lol :wink:
Yes there are and especially when running 20mm sway bar :o as it does stop a lot of articulation if you don't remove them
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

ozdog

Post by ozdog » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Very, Very cool build! great work

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:07 pm

The 'Saudiru' rims look great!
The picture of the 5 against the fence shows all the holes (of the rims pattern) partially covered up. Are they wearing dress rims, or is it a difference between the 2 sets you got?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:57 pm

The set with the muddies up against the fence are "as is". I have another set (identical) on the car with the Geolanders that have the centre caps. I removed the Audi logo & put silver carbon vinyl wrap on it to dress it up a bit...pretty happy with the result :cool:

Saudiru...I like it lol ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”