1983 Touring Wagon, Granpa spec.

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:09 am

If the ezy out snaps inside the bolt (not likely but it can happen) get a nut with ID bigger than the bolt, slip it over what's left of the bolt so you can plug weld inside the nut. The heat from welding it is an added bonus ;)

Oh and with the ezy out get the hole as close to center as possible, not easy on such a small bolt, a center punch makes it easier.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

sublime

Post by sublime » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Before you use an EZ Out try a left-handed drill bit... I have never had anything but trouble with EZ Outs, especially if there is not enough space to use them 'dead on'.

Left-handed drill bits often allow the broken bolt to unscrew and you can use larger bits as needed, then use a tap to clean out the left over threads form the bolt if required.

I have never broken a left-handed drill bit... Lost count of the number of broken EZ Outs! Will not use them anymore.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Yeah - I've done a few of these now too - same problem ... :(

I also found that drilling them out is best, then just clean up the threads with a tap ... :)

Bonus is that the heat generated from drilling usually free's it up - just be careful to get the drill vertically in line with bolt ... ;)

Tips : Do through the old bolts out, don't use them again ( always get new ones ) + smear a bit of oil / grease on the new ones to prevent corrosion next time ...

Add : Normal drill bits will work just as well, just takes a bit more effort ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:49 pm

sublime wrote:Before you use an EZ Out try a left-handed drill bit... I have never had anything but trouble with EZ Outs, especially if there is not enough space to use them 'dead on'.

Left-handed drill bits often allow the broken bolt to unscrew and you can use larger bits as needed, then use a tap to clean out the left over threads form the bolt if required.

I have never broken a left-handed drill bit... Lost count of the number of broken EZ Outs! Will not use them anymore.
Another good idea, but left handed bits can be hard to find.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Silverbullet wrote:If the ezy out snaps inside the bolt (not likely but it can happen) get a nut with ID bigger than the bolt, slip it over what's left of the bolt so you can plug weld inside the nut. The heat from welding it is an added bonus ;)
This is good method too. I've done this before and had success.
Silverbullet wrote:Oh and with the ezy out get the hole as close to center as possible, not easy on such a small bolt, a center punch makes it easier.
I found grinding the broken bolt, so you have a flat surface to start with also helps to get the centre punch right in the middle.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I use and recommend the welding of a nut over the broken stud...just make sure its not a galvanised nut.

Return to “My Subi”