Here's my new ride

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
MadRX

Here's my new ride

Post by MadRX » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am

Hi,

Picked up this lil number Monday. These are just pics from the advertisement. It's in truly immaculate cond other than a chip on right rear quarter & a tiny dent barely noticeable on the left. Drives like a dream (once I familiarised myself with the gear change & single turbo characteristics etc as this is the first Sooby I've owned). Will throw up a few of the single T conversion later this morning if I can. Also a bit of info on tasteful mods etc. Just need to flush/change engine oil & check the diff oils & fluids first:

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 am

Looks very nice mate, bet it goes well. The seats & wheels are nice touches too. Have fun with it.

Cheers Jake

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 am

Love it!
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Very nice :cool:

Yeah the seats are great, cant wait to see some engine pics ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Awesome. We should get a cruise together when the weather warms up ;)

Nice ride 8)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks guyz. She does have some getupgo. I forgive it for the laggy low end as I don't mind driving around off boost for economy as that changes pretty quick from testing her out the other night. Bit of a Jeckyl & hide lol.

So a cruise in the making then :cool: Will take some e/bay pics today. Will be doing an engine flush & oil change this morniing. Didn't get a chance yesterday as I was called into work.

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

It's official lol.....I'm over this notchy #$%@ gearbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I grind 4th one more %^$# time haha...........is it true there is some sort to plate between clutch & flywheel that stops the clutch from fully engaging? Was told this from one guy that's all. Told me you can remove it?

I preferred the close ratio box in my ol' MX5 any day.

Rant over :(

EDIT: On one site mentiones the problem I have as being common on these 5MT's, especially when getting older & just require a cocktail mix of gearoil. Redline & Motul. A Pennzoil & Valvoline Synth mix was also recommended. I'm just taking it easy for now & see.

The suspension is so stiff I'm leaning towards it being changed. I just don't know these cars well enough yet.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:44 pm

MadRX wrote:It's official lol.....I'm over this notchy #$%@ gearbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I grind 4th one more %^$# time haha...........is it true there is some sort to plate between clutch & flywheel that stops the clutch from fully engaging? Was told this from one guy that's all. Told me you can remove it?
Dunno about the plate. If your clutch was not allowed to fully engage you would have slip all the time, especially on boost.

The gearbox itself could have a worn synchro on 4th. If you learn/listen to your car more you'll learn where to change gear to help with rev matching. Also try doubling the clutch, between gears slip into neutral, clutch pedal out, clutch pedal in, then into 4th.

You can also rev match with down changes by toe-heal technique on the brake and throttle at the same time. It takes a bit to get used to, but when you start nailing it every time it's great. I still get it wrong every now and then but you get that.
MadRX wrote:I preferred the close ratio box in my ol' MX5 any day.
You can get close ratio WRX boxes. I don't know specifically which ones they are but they're out there and will bolt straight in if you've got a hydraulic push clutch already, otherwise it's a bit of fiddling around to sort that out but still doable!
MadRX wrote:The suspension is so stiff I'm leaning towards it being changed. I just don't know these cars well enough yet.
Take your time with it. I would suspect it's stiff by the look of the lowered job. And low profile tyres don't help either, they create a harsh/hard ride. And with our roads in vic you'll know more about the condition of the surface than stock rims and tyres ;)

Cheers

Bennie

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:14 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Dunno about the plate. If your clutch was not allowed to fully engage you would have slip all the time, especially on boost.

The gearbox itself could have a worn synchro on 4th. If you learn/listen to your car more you'll learn where to change gear to help with rev matching. Also try doubling the clutch, between gears slip into neutral, clutch pedal out, clutch pedal in, then into 4th.

You can also rev match with down changes by toe-heal technique on the brake and throttle at the same time. It takes a bit to get used to, but when you start nailing it every time it's great. I still get it wrong every now and then but you get that.

You can get close ratio WRX boxes. I don't know specifically which ones they are but they're out there and will bolt straight in if you've got a hydraulic push clutch already, otherwise it's a bit of fiddling around to sort that out but still doable!

Take your time with it. I would suspect it's stiff by the look of the lowered job. And low profile tyres don't help either, they create a harsh/hard ride. And with our roads in vic you'll know more about the condition of the surface than stock rims and tyres ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks for advice Bennie :cool:

Sorry but I've worked O/T this weekend.

Know exactly what you mean by the tyres. Yes, would prefer more profile on them & that would make a world of difference for sure.

I am getting used to gear changes. It is a close ratio box. I was just comparing to the one in my ol' MX5. Shoulda made it clearer, sorry. Clutch is excellent with heaps of pressure & play. I'll warm to it. Just spooked me when I did a real hard change @ mid revs into 4th. Hasn't done it again since but I'm definately much more conscientious with changes now lol.

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 am

Stock boost appears to be 12psi as I wound the boost controller back to minimum & this is the highest reading I get. At least I know I won't be abusing engine & box @ this boost. Performance is still good so, will leave it as this for now.

chinski

Post by chinski » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 pm

sweet looking ride mate !

so was this a twin turbo converted to single ?
1986 Brumby with MY00 WRX engine :mrgreen:

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:26 am

chinski wrote:sweet looking ride mate !

so was this a twin turbo converted to single ?
Yeah. Forfeited economy for the better performance though.

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Bugger the 12psi haha. Working all day tomorrow but come Monday, will be turning it up to 14psi then leaving it there......No serious...

was also very wrong ablout the economy. I managed 450klm from just over 48L. Not bad really afterall with easy driving. Can put it behind me know.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:54 pm

And how's the higher boost move working for you, your seat of pants dyno and your economy?

Hoping it's worth it!

Cheers

Bennie

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:09 am

El_Freddo wrote:And how's the higher boost move working for you, your seat of pants dyno and your economy?

Hoping it's worth it!

Cheers

Bennie
Not bothering with dyno @ this stage Bennie. Though the engine drives like a less mileage engine, it's done a few clicks. I'm happy with it. Engine temp rises bloody quick which is good as gear changes suck when it's below normal running temp.

Economy is much the same no matter how I drive it. I figure this comes down to shorter gear intervals on boost? She doesn't like below 3krpm range much. Especially until oils really warm up. For daily commuting, keep g/changes from dropping below 2300rpm? & it's nice & smooth. Change above 3krpm & she has plenty of torgue. Nice push back into the seat stuff from 3500oddrpm.

Tbo, I wouldn't be winning any 0-100kph sprints. I just find way too much play in the clutch pedal for anything remotely exciting with take off. Maybe just me? Not sure how many Liberties without a really aggressive start would? Just wish the bugga wasn't so heavy :-(

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 am

Bugger the NB o2 gauge. Got an Innovate digital WB AFR gauge & sensor from NZ for a good price, to go with my boost & oil pressure gauge I picked up last week.

Does anyone know where to get a pod or best place to mount 3 after market guages? Have seen them mounted on a Gen2 Liberty pillar. Might be the go. Can you get a pod for a Gen3?

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:12 am

Still awaiting return email from US concerning the custom pillar pod so, if whether is fine tomorrow, or next few days may look @ a temporary fitment of the WB o2 sensor & gauge. Really want to know the AFR's @ 15psi? Then 17.

This way, I may leave it back @ 17? At least I'll know this aspect of the tune that was done years back. Annoying noone on local forums knows of the owner who performad conversion & @ least, where the dyno was done.

Car performs without a hickup other than a hesitation now just @ start up like it begins too rich, then the ECU compensates. Not enough to be concerned about but, think it's a good time to view the AFR's :cool:

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:51 pm

I had an AFR gauge on my RX3 turbo. Its a must for anyone wanting to dial up things without worrying about what damage you're doing to the engine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:49 am

Hey MadRX, how's the beast going? Still loving the power and thrill of the mighty Subaru? :twisted:
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

MadRX

Post by MadRX » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:02 am

Tigger wrote:Hey MadRX, how's the beast going? Still loving the power and thrill of the mighty Subaru? :twisted:
Hehe, yeah she's a treat to drive Tigger. What I luv most is it still drives ok off-boost. My wife has been driving it as I've been using her wagon for stuff over last few weeks. It gets unreal h'way mileage. Mind you, she drives slow so, would all be off boost haha.

Not sure what I'll do with guages for now. I have ordered a tasteful front grill to replace the god-aweful stock one. Should be here any day. Will paint it black along with bonnet scoop & maybe a few other bits, just to break up the monotonous silver :shock: Maybe a few modest bits along side & rear? Using vinyl sticker type tape?

Just to jazz it up abit, not too overdone. Will experiment first.

Return to “My Subi”