My GT2 wagon

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Didnt know L-series came with climate air! Thanks Chris you made my day.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:22 pm

some of the high spec jap ones did I beleive. I got that one from adelaide.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline
1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4

2006 Holden Combo - work van :)

Craigus

Post by Craigus » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:19 pm

note stock stereo in dash. this is going to stay
Hmm. I seem to have seen that before ...
ImageImage

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:42 am

I've had climate air before too. I know where the system is still (& its for sale)

I've got some spare rear view mirrors here that I'll donate to the cause.

Reckon that dash looks funny with the early climate air system & the late switches on the other side.
I've got a complete bank that suits th early ones I've been trying to sell for a while, but no one wants them for some reason.

Chris, do me a favour & see if there's a part number of the front fog light switch cover plate.
Apart from Cruise, that's the only one I'm missing, and would suit my car better than the one that goes in the spot beside the mirror controls.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:43 am

BTW, Climate air was a dealer fit in Japan much like A/C was dealer fit here.

Fang

Post by Fang » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:38 am

Looking good Chris - will it be ready for the BBQ?

Yeah the climate control is a Japanese option - I have an 85 Japanese L Series sales brochure with climate control in it.

I thought you had the fog light switch Steve? I am thinking about getting a fog light switch in the bank of switches. I want to free up that switch hole to the right of the steering column for a radiator fan switch.

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:45 am

wagonist wrote:I've had climate air before too. I know where the system is still (& its for sale)

I've got some spare rear view mirrors here that I'll donate to the cause.

Reckon that dash looks funny with the early climate air system & the late switches on the other side.
I've got a complete bank that suits th early ones I've been trying to sell for a while, but no one wants them for some reason.

Chris, do me a favour & see if there's a part number of the front fog light switch cover plate.
Apart from Cruise, that's the only one I'm missing, and would suit my car better than the one that goes in the spot beside the mirror controls.

I have the early harness to match it. didn't want to swap the thing in as all my stuff is later.
for me I'm happy with it. one question since you have it complete. can you take a snap of it. I want to see what I'm missing around the temp display.

only # in the fog sw is 757484 - not sure if that means anything.

mirror will house a radio display of some sort. currently looking at makeing a hybrid sony- GT250/GT350 as I want a stacker but with a small display.

mind you if that was a dealer fit it would explain a few things. one the cut top boot and the crimps used around the fuse panel. mind you I would have hated to be the fellow doing it- thats a bitch to get in there and a LOT of the AC/heater box is different.

fang,

I'm trying :) I'm at the mercy of an engineer now who has my front crossmember. is that inmage one that you have sent me if not can you pls.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Hey Chris,

Looking at the centre dash piece, was the car originally an auto? Or have you sourced this centre piece for your conversion?

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:06 pm

Ignore that last post, i just looked at the first pics and that shows me its a manual...

I gotta start opening my eyes...
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:09 pm

the goal is to make it appear factory. seems like I have acheived that.

more pics shortly.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:09 pm

as promised:

wiring is laid in place - I'm tidying it later after I have shortened it a bit. some of the front went back on as well. rear area is back in one piece and had been tidied and reharnessed.

note the legacy fuse panel - going to reuse this as I removed the fusible link box . battery is there for placement and to set the battery leads in place (legacy items.) boost control soleniod is on the other side.

all the wiring for the "boost box" and engine is in place here as well as ABS and the air box which is a hybrid of the EA and EJ item.

this mess will get sorted next :) ABS/TRC module is under drivers seat. ECU I'm going to put on the column once I get a few other things sorted.

side shot showing test fitting of harnesses and factory washer bottle.

this will also get a tidy up once I debug it.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:44 pm

Chris, here is the problem you've got with installing the early climate air on the late dash.
The blank spot you've now got is normally taken by the wiper switch on the early models & the spot where you're temp dial & digital display is normally the fan switch. The difference that occurs on the early dash is that the A/C button & the recirc button are moved from the RHS switch bank to the climate pad, which is easily fixed by blanking plates.
As the dahs was re-arranged for the later models with the hadlights & wipers moved to steering column, your old fan switch has now become a definite blank.

The only way to fix it (& would also fix a problem on the later model dashes) would be to either relocate or duplicate, the later hazard light switch. This will fit into the space.
I've never been happy with the hazard light switch being where it is on the later models (it replaced the early headlight switch) is that a passenger can't reach it in an emergency.
simply twin the wires in parallel & bingo, another switch & your hole filled.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 am

switch would be a good idea. I'll look into that. actually if I flliped it to that side I can get the other hole filled. I have a plastics guy that can do this easily, thanks for the idea!
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:42 pm

more images:

rear end with INBOARD ABS sensors. bit of fabrication there. looks like a work of art when you look at it.

close up of the brackets.

side shot

original turbo X member with a extra notch in it.

legacy steering rack fitted in - this requires the hole to be opened up other than that it bolts in.

more of th reason I kept this rack - there is a yaw sensor in it.(plug hanging loose.)

I still have to pick up the brakes and lines (braided and ADR approved!) which will probably happen on monday.

this weekend all that goes in place.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

Fang

Post by Fang » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:03 pm

Not coming to the BBQ Chris??

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:20 pm

The sensor on the steering rack is for the speed sensitive power steering.
Do you have the rest fo the electronics for that?
I had it on my Gen 1 Legacy, though I had the Series II version which was electronically controlled rather the Series I which had a switch on the dash.

That rear ABS setup looks awesome. Did you have to do anything to the inner CVs to refit the roll pin? I'm guessing there's a plate sandwiched between the CV & the diff?
And do I get a royalty for suggesting it to you? LOL

Can you send me a PM with how much that cost to get fabricated.

Have you sorted the radiator yet?
I'm still tuck on that one:mad:

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Fang wrote:Not coming to the BBQ Chris??
yep I'll pop by after 1pm. already spoke to brett about it.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:20 pm

wagonist wrote:The sensor on the steering rack is for the speed sensitive power steering.
Do you have the rest fo the electronics for that?
I had it on my Gen 1 Legacy, though I had the Series II version which was electronically controlled rather the Series I which had a switch on the dash.

That rear ABS setup looks awesome. Did you have to do anything to the inner CVs to refit the roll pin? I'm guessing there's a plate sandwiched between the CV & the diff?
And do I get a royalty for suggesting it to you? LOL

Can you send me a PM with how much that cost to get fabricated.

Have you sorted the radiator yet?
I'm still tuck on that one:mad:
yep have every module for it so that will work. the rear abs setup is a set of brackets. the CVs are NOT modded. the ring on them is pressed on and can be removed if I destroy the inner one. when it was done Robyn tried my idea and then suggested this. the original idea was to hang it off the diff.
there is enough tolerance on that so the shaft can move in all directions and not destroy that sensor. I have shimming metal as well if it gets out of whack. as for cost about 4 figures for the lot. (I have yet to get the bill)
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:21 pm

radiator: I'm using the one that came with the cut car. it fits in place so I'm going to do a bit of chopping on the halfcut frame and graft teh mounts to my shell.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:29 pm

How do you get the pin through the CV into the spline? Unless you've left a gap in the machined ring near where it needs to go which is easy enough to do.
Is it pressed onto the spline, or onto the cup?

I wish I'd done the modding to the front end to fit the WRX rad in before I had the engine bay painted. You need to do some serious massaging to fit it in far enoungh forward.

I was trying to figure out why you needed a second notch. And then I remembered about the 2nd turbo:???:

Return to “My Subi”