EA82T conversion completed BOOST BOOST BOOST

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Gannon

EA82T conversion completed- Update

Post by Gannon » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:01 am

Took it for a run today, ooh gotta love that boost
Now i have to make an exhaust, i was running it with only a downpipe cut about 6 inches after the cat. The whole floor was rumbling, with 'music to the ears' subaru tunes.

Only issue now is the dash is a little lasy, shows 80kmh at 3000rpm, but slowly increases, and the temp gauge barely moves, even though the thermo fan kicked in.

I havent set the timing properly yet as my timing light wont work. Can i do it by ear?

Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:37 am

well done mate you can do timing by ear but it still wont be right so u may as well use a timing light and do ot the easy way
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:09 am

:mr green :mr green

so that is how mine should look when finished..it has been 12 months since i pulled mine out and the memory is getting a bit dodgy with the detail.

tune by ear ? with the exhaust symphony ? don't think so !!

i recall my tacho looked very 'stiff' and not exactly smooth electrical movement.

maybe with the temp gauge someone could give you ohm readings from their temp sender at cold, 1/8th, 1/4 and half way so you could compare

the fan switch might be the dodgy thing cutting in early, hows the radiator feel to touch when fans start up ?

wonder if they'd do same thing without thermostat in place?

should start a 'sound' thread of all exhaust notes achieved

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:45 pm

jono wrote::mr green :mr green

should start a 'sound' thread of all exhaust notes achieved
yeh i like this idea- lets hear it :)

well done mate

julian

Post by julian » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:23 pm

Guess you should change your signature from "almost turbo converted" to BOOSTIN! Nice work.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Update. Gauges are working better now, spedo is close and temp is fine. Guess they were just sticky.

I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side head, where the manifold bolts to the exhaust. Ive put 2 gaskets in and its better, not fixed, will have to get some exhaust paste.

Im sure the fan is working fine, cos while im driving, it isnt on, but when i stop, it starts up 30 seconds later.

Is it normal for there to be a delay from the time i lift my foot off the accelerator and when the revs drop? Its about 2 seconds
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Suparoo wrote:Update. ....Is it normal for there to be a delay from the time i lift my foot off the accelerator and when the revs drop? Its about 2 seconds
usually on the cars i drive at work..mainly newer ones u give em a rev and theyll kinda delay in coming back down to idle..it is normal but
not sure if thats wt ur talkin bout but
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Suparoo wrote:Is it normal for there to be a delay from the time i lift my foot off the accelerator and when the revs drop? Its about 2 seconds
Could be a turbo thing if there's no blow off valve - the engine is removing the boost from the system before dropping revs???

PS me not a turbo guy, so probabily best not to listen to me eh?
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:18 pm

Check Tps They Get Lazy

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:25 pm

I'd be guessing a return spring is missing on the throttle body and the excess boost is holding the butterfly open until the boost comes back enough for it to close, sticky throttle cable could be the go too..

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:27 pm

Can do the dizzy by ear, loosen the screw, turn ummm clockwise, yeah that'll do... until the engine starts to die then move back a little. Take it for a run, if it pings, bring it back a little more. When the dizzy is advanced as much as possible without pinging then that is the right place.

You'll find you'll need to back it off a little come summer too cos hot = ping more frequently.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:38 pm

I think you'll find the throttlebody from the MAF MPFI cars has a damper gadget to make the throttle close slowly for that last bit . It should look like a small rod connected to some small gadget and has a rubber bellows partly over it .

If you've ever tuned aftermarket EFI computers you find that there is a very fleeting slightly rich mixture occuring I believe because there is still fuell in suspension in the charge air as the throttle plate shuts off the air supply . Factory ECU's were not as fast as they are today and the sophistication of of current idle air bypass systems makes 80's gear look quite primitive .

I'd just have a play with the damper thing and if it falls off I didn't see it .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks ben, but i borrowed a timing light off a mechanic. Definately runs better. But idle is still rough.

When im cruising, neither accelerating or decelerating, it surges slighty, not much, but its noticable. And its at any speed. Anyone had a similar condition?

Ive noticed that when i switch on the aircon, the engine does not idle up, im guessing that there is a connector somewhere i missed, damn!

Discopotato, i noticed the small dashpot the otherday, and now that i have adjusted the timing and idle speed, its much better.

After studing that dashpot, it works a lot like antilag, Accelerate, lift accelerator and change gear, but the revs stay above 3000rpm and keeps boost up.

timmo

Post by timmo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:56 pm

about the aircon have you tried adjusting the fast idle? Page 76 in the service manual available somewhere here. But if the solenoid isnt firing that wont help i guess.

timmo
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:04 pm

If you did an EFI overlay you can use the vac power up wires to activate the fast idle for the AC. If the engine came out of a NON AC equipted car you may have to remove the fast idle solonoid and clear the passages out, if it dont get used they build up with calcified alloy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 pm

If it was staying above 3000 it must make the syncromesh work hard . I'm pretty sure the non turbo 4 plug L Series TPS has that dashpot as well , I have an 88 throttlebody/TPS in the boot (typical) so I'll have a look !

Cheers A .

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:55 am

You sure that’s not a pic of my engine bay ;-) lol

Congrats she is looking the goods...
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:25 pm

I swapped the complete MPFI harness but not the aircon harness, but i didnt notice any spare plugs. Both cars had aircon. By looking at the wiring diagrams, i should be able to run a wire directly from the compressor to the Idle up solenoid to make it work.

Yeah it doesnt stay above 3000 anymore, i adjusted the idle ect.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:44 am

Update!

Not much has changed

I have an RS WAIC to go in, just have to make up the piping for it.

I fixed the problem with the Aircon, just a plug in the aircon harness that was hidden up behind the dash.

The surging at cruise has stopped, but i still get a surge when accelerating at WOT. It could be dodgy fuel pressure (im in the process of hooking up a fuel pressure gauge) or my dizzy cap and rotor (which are pretty worn)

I have a MSD Blaster coil and reasonably new 8mm leads.

Future plans are a TF035 Turbo (GT forester) which should be more effecient than my RHB5. Ive been studying the USMB and have seen dyno graphs of TD04's on Ea82s and AFR's dont go lean. A TF035 is smaller than a Td04 = less lag!

I would like to get some Scorpian 14" rims as well next time i need new tyres

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Good job mate, i was just wondering what a 92 DL "Trubo" Wagen is haha...

;)

Return to “My Subi”