Project 500OBY

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Point

Post by Point » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:28 pm

nice. so will it move back and down a bit? you may have a bit more brake clearance then. and i take it you will need to cut a bit out of the crossmember to make room for the exhaust. any room for the radiator?

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I had to remove the Up pipe to get the engine to sit down on its mounts (I've slotted the crossmember now. Tomorrow i'm going to have a good look and see if I can fab up some custom headers and move the turbo across to the passenger side, as things are a bit tight on the drivers side with the steering, brake master cylinder, and I want to fit the hydraulic clutch system from the WRX too, and things are just far too close. I've made some mods to the chassis rails, looks like a butcher job atm, when I pinch a mates welder, i'll fix it up and it'll be stronger then it came from the factory.

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:56 pm

only problem i can see with the turbo on the left is the starter motor being in the road!?
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Update:
Haven't posted in a while, it's not that nothing has happened, i've just been too lazy to post, although the torential rain that we've had on and off over the last couple of months hasn't helped since the whole show is outdoors :(. Next project when this is done, is to build a shed out the back for future projects.
Things that have happened since last post:
-Received my Crossbred kit
-Removed all the rear suspension, diff, and fuel tank, in preparation to paint under the tray and fit WRX sender unit and fuel pump to the brumby tank
-Removed the entire interior of the brumby
-Established that I can't fit the dash of the WRX without hacking 50% of it off (i'm sure it's possible, but i'm easliy defeated)
-decided to refit the brumby dash, but with the instrument cluster, fan, A/C evap and controls, and heater box from the WRX. this will require some modification to the firewall
-Got myself some new wheels, ended up with a set of simmons (currently still in transit)
i'm putting in a full day tomorrow, so i'll post again tomorrow night with some piccy's. Cheers

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:24 am

sounding sweet.show us some fotos.

and NICE rims. thatll look unreal smoothed white on white.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Rims arrived on friday, they look as nice as in the pics (now adorning the lounge room much to the missus delight). Got stuck into the steering today, so I removed the crossmember from the half cut and the brumby, here's a couple of pics for comparision:
In case it isn't obvious the WRX cross member is the top one (notice the reliefs either side of the engine mounting points for the turbo up pipe) and brumby is the bottom one. From this pic it's easy to see the extra chassis width that the WRX has.
WRX bottom this in this pic
Underneath shot, WRX bottom:
Had already removed the WRX rack in this pic. Once I enlarged the hole in that the steering column goes thru in the brumby cross member, the WRX rack dropped straight in using the original brumby mounts. I had to remove the rubber mounts as it wouldn't fit with the brumby mounts, but will slip some insertion rubber in there so I don't get nasty vibrations. Now I just have to get the WRX rack ends changed to suit the brumby track width and the steering is sorted.

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Well it's been a while since I posted an update, my thread had nearly fallen into oblivion. I've been over seas for 6 weeks on holidays, and been flat out with work the rest of the time, but here's what's happened since my last update:
-Fitted the cross breed kit (very easy to do, had it done in an arvo)
-Pulled my simmons apart to reseal them because they were leaking, and will repaint the centres and polish the outers this weekend
-Engine mounts have been finalised, now I just have to knock up a gearbox mount
Here's a couple of pics with the wheels test fitted to make sure they clear everything alright:
I'll try to update a bit more regularly now that i'm back in the country and have a bit of spare times on weekends.

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Wow, it's certainly been a while since my last update. Since last time, i've moved house, had my first child, and moved job locations (but not employers), and most of all, done a lot of procrastinating.

Anyway, lets start with what's happened since I last posted:
-Recessed firewall to fit A/C, fan and heater box from WRX half cut, this meant getting rid of spare tyre well in engine bay (see pics)
-Replaced radiator support panel with fabricated item to allow WRX radiator to fit
-Modified chassis rails to allow WRX engine to fit (still need to finish the mod so it looks pretty
-Installed steering column and master cylinder from WRX
-Got a pair of adjustable coilovers for the front suspension

Will try to post updates more frequently then I have been in the past (not hard really :rolleyes:), especially seeing as i've borrowed someone's welder and am working on it most afternoons.

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi guys, latest update:
Been working on getting the WRX driver seat mounted, i've decided to retain the factory WRX seat rails so this is anything but straight forward. After some cursing and head scratching, i've got him sussed and everything is tacked in. Once i've trail fit everything else around the seat centre console, dash, etc) i'm fully weld it it.
[ATTACH]1881[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1882[/ATTACH]

Here's a pic of the WRX radiator slotted into the front of the brumby, there's only a bit of mig wire holding the top at the moment until I knock up some brackets.
[ATTACH]1883[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSC04202 (Medium).jpg
DSC04202 (Medium).jpg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
DSC04200 (Medium).JPG
DSC04200 (Medium).JPG (95.67 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
DSC04198 (Medium).JPG
DSC04198 (Medium).JPG (94.81 KiB) Viewed 3177 times

1111giles

Looking good from here!

Post by 1111giles » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi - Writing from Halifax UK.
Project looks gooood! Bet you are chomping at the bit to get it finished and on the road!
Just finishing my Brumby ( Called MV1800 here) keeping it mostly standard - the main mods are Carby Conversion to weber and Forester seats (very comfy from a 2002 car).
My truck looks great now its back together and hope to post images soon.

Re your project....
Agree with you - the seats are interesting to fit !! We dont have to replate if we do that sort of conversion here, as our annual MOT test would find out any issues, however that only happens once a year so you could run with a crap job done for 364 days before it was looked at!
Question...how much room do you have to extract the spark plugs? Must be tight!
Keep up the good work!
Giles.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:26 am

Nice job on the firewall and rad support panel. Be watching to see what you do with the dash pad.
Settlement Creek Racing

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 am

I can get the spark plugs in and out quite easily actually, there's not gobs of room, but enough. It's a bit difficult to see in that photo as I have a fuse box sitting on the inner guard (not it's final position). I think the main reason I have room, is that I haven't spaced the engine cross member down like most people do to achieve a clearance between the motor and the bonnet. The bonnet closes fine with probably about 10mm clearance to the A/C compressor and power steering pump, this may not be enough when I eventually start the motor but and I may end up spacing it down, but probably only by about 10mm.

Dane

Post by Dane » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 am

Did you have a look at bracketing the seat to the Brumby rails? Out of my own interest, as I don't want to remount, just bracket.

Thanks

Dane

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Nice mate, looking awsome. good plan not dropping the engine, we couldnt get the sparkplugs out of the one i built for my friend (ej20T,5mt, 4.11, hyd clutch, brumby radiator with bigger outlets, sti a2a intercooler, 2in lift, 14's) only realised after it was running. not pulling the engine out again now tho.

please, if you havent already, take heaps of photos and that on the seat mounting, and ill do the same, im fitting wrx seats into mine, using bolts through the floor and tunnel and into the original xpeice at the front. but if theres a better way, illd love to know, as im worried the mounts will push clean through the floor.

cheers mate, keep it up, rohan.
Cheers, Rohan M.

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm

I've lost my welder for a while (I borrowed it from someone) so progress updates will be delayed for a while.

Brumbyrunner - For the dashpad, I actually peeled the black cover off the sections of the dash that I had to cut off, so that when I fit it in place and add some new sections to it, I can re-instate the pad by adding expandable polyurethane filler to the new sections and then just glue the cover back down.
Well that was the plan anyway, but the last owner of the half cut screwed a couple of gauges right into the centre of the dash so it's got a few holes in it.

Now i'm thinking once i'm happy with the shape, i'll recover the whole lot in leather or alacantara (if I can find some), and maybe do the door trims to match (they desperately need sprucing up).

Dane - I briefly thought about making up some adaptor brackets, but the problem is the WRX seats are very high compared to the original brumby seats, so if a bracket was used, I would have to remove the fun top to sit in the car. The location of the standard brumby mounts are also quite different to the WRX, so it wouldn't be a simple bracket, which would increase the difficulty at getting it engineered.

To help with the height situation, i've actually cut out the front seat mount beam and replaced with with a lower one with the correct mounting points for the WRX seats, making the rear mounts lower is easy as the floor slopes down towards the rear wall.

Once i've finished the mounts i'll post some piccys to show what I mean.

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:31 pm

please do, as ive just removed my front supprort beam to make a lower one. got 60x60 box to replace it with, just need to work out the profile of the floor to match it on. cheers mate.
Cheers, Rohan M.

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Folks, been ages since I posted on here. A lot has happened since my last post, mainly in regards to my personal life, but also on the brumby. Long story short, i've accepted a job that's approx 6hrs drive from Townsville and will be moving at the end of the month. At this stage it's going to be difficult to take this project with me, and i'm not even sure if i'll have somewhere to store it and work on it.

Is there anyone out there in the Townsville area that would be interested in taking this project on? If so shoot me a PM. It's not that far off finishing.

If I can't find anyone, i'll take it with me, but it'll probably be another 6-8 months before I can get anywhere near it again to work on it :(

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am

Ian and another guy i know might be interested, it is a shame i just brought another project. lol! PM me a price rough price for it? Are you still down the end of the street? :P
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Any news on this?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

aussie_guy00000

Post by aussie_guy00000 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:36 am

Lol, it's been a while since i've posted here. Since then i've moved to a Coal mining town near emerald call Tieri, at the end of 2010, and finally moved the brumby down with me in August this year. Since then i've done a bit on it, but not a huge amount. Have almost finished the seat mounts.

I'm back up in Townsville at the moment for Christmas, when I get back i'll post some pics.

Return to “My Subi”