New users can't register!

Ask for help from the Admin / Moderators ...
Silverbullet

New users can't register!

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Something that popped up on my FB news feed today :
Anyone have any experience with AUSubaru.com? I'm trying to register to see some pics in one of the ea81 edis threads, but I keep getting the message that the administrator has disabled registration. Is this because the site is seeing I'm from the USA or what?
And true enough, if I log out of my account and try to register as a new member, this message pops up:
Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.
Is this a glitch or was it changed on purpose by the admin? This seems like something only Outback bloke could rectify - is he even around anymore? I know a few requests I've made to him in the past have all gone un-answered. I'm wondering if someone could somehow get in contact with him and see if it's possible to "pass the baton" onto someone who is present on the forums alot more. It's no good that nobody new can register, maybe it explains the drop off in new posts in recent months :?:

I know we have a few moderators on here that are regular visitors, but I don't think any have admin priviledges to change things like the one and only Outback bloke.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Hmmm good find there SB.

Many of us are moderators but only on our build forums...

I've also thought that the forum needs an upgrade for some sort to try and breathe new life into this great forum - maybe include new model specific sub forums or new forum software.

It almost seems that the forum has become stuck for whatever reason while the older members drop off due to work or family commitments without new members joining in and contributing. We're now seeing a few old members pop up here and there but their activity isn't the same as it used to be - again usually due to the above two reasons.

And then there's Facebook. The groups are effectively taking a lot of members or potential members away from the forums into the cycle of asking the same questions almost on a weekly basis. Forums have a search function and are reasonably easy to navigate through older posts etc. Facebook isn't so friendly in looking up old information like forums are.

Personally I'd like to see some changes to the forum namely in updates to the forum layout and ease of interactivity. Ultimately it all sits with Outback Bloke afaik.

My 20c

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:50 pm

We must be getting too much spam again ... :(
I'd ask for their details & we can sort something out I'm sure ... ;)

Not sure what Outback bloke had in mind for this site succession ... ?
It would be good to update the site, but would incur costs I suspect ... :(
I've spoken to Yarney about all these issues, sorry I haven't heard back from him yet.

Ciao, Bantum ...

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am

Should be fixed soon.
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:46 pm

I've logged in to the admin area and the forum is set to accept new members. I will dig deeper to see if I can find out why that error is arising.

If anyone has a decent IT background I am happy to add you as an admin to look after this sort of thing. It is not a simple system to administer for a newbie.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:Should be fixed soon.
Outback bloke wrote:I've logged in to the admin area and the forum is set to accept new members. I will dig deeper to see if I can find out why that error is arising.

If anyone has a decent IT background I am happy to add you as an admin to look after this sort of thing. It is not a simple system to administer for a newbie.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your efforts all round as I'm sure everyone does, sadly I don't think I could put my hand up for such a job :(

Cheers!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Promo ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Outback Bloke - I've made a few suggestions over on this thread :Meet the Admin / Moderators

Ciao, Bantum ...

subabooba

Post by subabooba » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:51 am

I haven't administered a forum before but I'm a software engineer by day (Leone GLF searcher on carsales.com.au by night :P) and wouldn't take me too long to get up to speed. I'd be happy to spend a little time helping get things ship shape again. Looks like we could do with an upgrade as a start and would be good to make sure things like backups etc are all in place.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:04 pm

I'd like to put my hand up to help out if I can.

While I'm not in IT I can always learn, and I'd like to give back to the forum what it's given me while building it back up to "the golden days" way it was...

Either way, let me know what I can do ;)

Regards

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Contact a Moderator”