Top Gear Australia- whatd ya think?

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
mattw

Post by mattw » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:30 pm

I'll give them a chance to settle into their roles, but they have to try not to just clone Jeremy and co.
the "cheap arse car" isn't as spectacular as the UK version. The Proton is just too tight and screwed down. Where's the huge body roll, massive understeer etc. I'm impressed with the way the proton handles, I should be laughing at how rubbish it is.
they do need to improve the camera work around the track. It was full of bad angles and cutting away from a good shot to an in car that shows nothing. i'm sure they don't have the budget for all the cameras they use in the UK, but they could make better use of what they do have. My film production mate is going to have a field day, I'm not going to hear the end of it......

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Yeah I didnt like it either, I'll still watch it because there's nothing better on.

The people they choose acted like tools, and the jokes and banter between each other was hard to watch, worse than neighbours. The only one on the show that seemed natural and likeable was the guest Nevil Bartos :).

If they didnt try for the exact same formula as the uk one and let the hosts be themselves or make up there own characters it could be good.

00outback

Post by 00outback » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:15 pm

It wasn't to bad but they seem to be trying to hard I'll give it a chance hopefully it will get better as the season goes on.

4xsama

Post by 4xsama » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:33 pm

I didn't really like it but I was really looking forward to seeing it so maybe I was bound to be a bit dissapointed.

When they relax a bit it may improve but I can't help but think what makes the UK version good is the availability of rare/boutique cars (Ariel Atom, Prodrive one off's, Noble M12 etc). The local guy's will have to dig deep to find some special vehicles locally, especially considering our archaic vehicle requirements.

Good thing about it was I don't have to hear Clarkson bang on about how good Aston's, Jag's, Rangies (and anything else British is). What a tool!

Oh well, the second album is always a tricky one.
2000 Impreza RX
2010 Diesel Forester

dibs

Post by dibs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm

NOT MUCH

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 am

bump...

last nights episode was crap

the smart car hearse thing was absolutely crap. Actually was offended by it.

how can they possibly compare a V8 clubsport to a 6cylinder turbo falcon? its just not a fair comparison. Although the drifting was pretty cool :)

theyre mucking it up now! first episode was watchable, but last nights was abit dismal.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Chrus

Post by Chrus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:16 pm

I dont know that adopting the UK format is that smart. They have a big bench mark to step up to and putting a Aussie "cultural" spin on things makes it rather painful. :(

That being said I did enjoy the ute race in the super pit (god only know how they got permission for that - safety nazis will be having kittens!) Thought having the Stig drive the dumpy was "O.K".

As for red v blue...Learn to launch lads! That falcon could have had the R8 IMO ;)

4/10 rubber chickens
MY05 WRX STI Spec C Type Ra
MY05 Legacy Outback LLBean
89 Legacy RS Turbo

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:05 pm

They should have actually butchered a smart car untill it was a hearse, or a Top Gear impression of a hearse anyway. Then it would have been a decent episode.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mini_Me

Post by Mini_Me » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:55 pm

I have 2 agree with alex, i didn't mind it, it was watchable till last night's episode. The holden/ ford thing was the same as the 'soft roaders' test... they never actually proved anything and the cars weren't all the same and either engine or price. how can u test a clubsport R8 against a FPV F6 turbo... doesn't make alot of sense at all
'89 sherpa... my little beast!

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Would like to see any of you blokes do better! ;)
I think from the high standard that needed to be met that they have done a nice job and put a good 'ozzie' spin on it... I think we have to just get usto the hosts and the 'ozzie' format
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

L-BJ

Post by L-BJ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:31 pm

To play devils advocate for a bit, the comparo between the F6 and R8 is entirely justified b/c they are simply taking the fastest cars Holden and Ford have to offer (and the GT just doesn't cut the mustard), plus ALL the car mags have been doing it since Ford released the F6/Typhoon b/c of this fact - so start writing into Wheels and Motor with complaints as well. Top Gear (UK original) does exactly the same thing with Porsche 911 GT3 RS v. Aston Vantage Race car v. Lambo Gallardo (Superlegggeeeeeeeerrrrrrra?) COMPLETELY DIFF ENGINES, THEY JUST MAKE IT LOOK BETTER! Which gets me to where I agree with the majority, the Aus version is all a bit naff and (appears to be) trying too hard. They'll be good (eventually) but has anyone seen the old episodes of the original UK one with the fat bloke... he sucked harder than a $2 hook*r. Give them some time (and get rid of the cartoonist guy), and have faith, don't tell me Australian's have inherited the British ability to knock everything before it's been given the time to improve?
Churs - you're right, the F6 would eat the R8 (and has) in every other test.
BrennyV - couldn't agree more

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:41 pm

I think they have too use a similar style as the UK show because it is done as a franchise, so they probly arent allowed to change some things.
A bit like your local Jims Mowing having a trailer that looks different to every other Jims Mowing guys trailer.Just not quite right.
It wasnt too bad last night, at least give them one season, and yes some of the old pommy ones were pretty bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

preno

Post by preno » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:05 pm

I thought it was much better than the first one but still lots more room to improve... They will get better and get comfortable in their roles and we will eventually get use to it. Just give it a chance. Their aint much else better on tv anyway. The cartoonist guy annoys me to! But i think if he keeps up with his cartoon drawing jokes that could become something new and unique for the show.

I liked the ute race! even if it didnt prove a thing!:D
Was also expecting them to chop that smart car up into a hearse but didnt happen:???:

cheers

matt

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Venom wrote:They should have actually butchered a smart car untill it was a hearse, or a Top Gear impression of a hearse anyway. Then it would have been a decent episode.
agreed.
ill still watch it. its gonna get better i know it. especially once they get a bigger budget too, to start blowing shit up!

subanator

Post by subanator » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:54 pm

3rd viewing, not sure if its getting any better. Doesn't have the polish and subtle humour the Uk version has. Exotic cars in Oz is a bit fopar, rather see something more realistic to what we can buy and see.

If there was anyone to do an Aussie version of this show, it should have been Roy and HG.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 am

i liked tonights. It was good!

Alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:25 am

some parts good

some parts bad - Like alot of their jokes
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

L-BJ

Post by L-BJ » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:15 am

Agree with the ROY n HG subanator, would be a class act (but try prying HG / John Doyle away from Tim Flannery at the mo, not likely).
Do think this weeks was good / better, jokes still bit painful though.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:05 am

subanator wrote:If there was anyone to do an Aussie version of this show, it should have been Roy and HG.
Hehehe... That would be something to see. I still wish they did something like Club Buggery.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

preno

Post by preno » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:21 am

dam i missed it. anyone know of a decent torrent for it?

Return to “Open Slather”