keeping your chamois moist

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

keeping your chamois moist

Post by steptoe » Tue May 19, 2009 9:28 pm

I have always had a chamois kept in its own cylinder 'keeper' that it came in yet they can dry out in this purpose made 'keeper'. All the different brands over the years same thing - they do dry out.

Fixed that by plugging the 'air hole' in the bum of the 'keeper'. More a hole as part of moulding process for plastics than to air dry the chamois. My method was a dollop odf silicone

GOD

Post by GOD » Tue May 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Maybe I'm not fully versed in the tao of the chamois, but what's wrong with them drying out? I've always just wet it again the next time.

Dane.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:58 pm

nothing really appart from over time they will get brittle....best way to wet it is when your washing the car or whatever is to soak in the bucket of suds you washed the whatever with...car shampoo....never use dish washing liquid as it contains salt to better clean dishes and to make yout car rush like mad
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed May 20, 2009 1:10 am

I've been using the same Kanebo chamois for about 20yrs, absolute pain when they dry out because they take so long to re soak when they are rolled up, the plastic cover on mine died of sun damage a few months ago so I just chuck it on the bench now without rolling it up & it's much better at soaking.....takes only a few seconds, I think they have a hole to let them dry out so they don't go moldy.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed May 20, 2009 8:15 am

you can get away with it with the synthetic cheapies, but a real chamois is supposed to be dried every time you use it. Otherwise it will go black with mould in no time.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 20, 2009 12:22 pm

it is the time spent softening it from bone dry and the damage it seems to do to itself dry. I like to keep them clean and moist, ready for its next use being far apart in these drought times. Wash it in soapy stuff - NOT ON YOUR LIFE. Leaves crud on clean surface don't it?

I use the big blue Car Smart brand speed dryer found at super cheap. A paint shop I know use them.

I have tried a real leather chamiois and may not have used it enough , did not like it

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed May 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I got mine in '96 and they are still going strong. Not only do I dry them out after use but I throw them in the washing machine!!! Then they go on the line (undercover) and stay there until I next use them.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 pm

maybe you could take it to brisbane for a while!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Return to “Open Slather”