What treasures you find on the roadside

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
pitrack_1

Roadside trash 'n' treasure

Post by pitrack_1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:03 am

It seems I need to keep my eyes more open, esp. as I used to cycle a lot...nevertheless, how about a brand new street directory with a little gravel rash- sorta makes sense, doesn't it :-)

But I am a bit of a bower bird- it's amazing what people will throw away: one man's trash is another man's treasure. How about what I've picked up from the roadside usually put out for cleanups, or I've been given for free:

- A 2x70W JVC Stereo Amplifier + AM/FM Tuner. Brushed aluminium fronts, tuner has the old backlit analogue dial....Was and is still good quality stuff, 30+ years old. Been using them 4+ years now, love 'em.
- Multiple computers, monitors, printers and assorted peripherals, all in working condition. Some computers with their owners' files still on them- not a good idea. Some bits I still use today.
- A good quality 600VA UPS - all it required was a couple of new SLA batteries and appropriate DIP switch settings (5 mins to download and read the manual).
- McCulloch-based whipper snipper (Must be said these particular indestructible beasts can be accursed to start and run- I have 25 yrs experience though)
- Good furniture e.g. a nice, sturdy, well-finished wooden dining chair. Most of our furniture was given to us rather than bought...
- Any amount of 'off-cuts' that would cost a bomb to buy in Bunnglings.
- Complete garden settings- table, chairs, etc.
- Good firewood
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm

subybrumby wrote:I did about 11months as a controller at the town dump, now there is another story. What people throw out will amaze you.
Yeah, so much so that our local tip started charging of items removed! Bastards. Now all we've got is a transfer station, so boring!

And if anyone's cruising the hume, friday there was a pair of multi grips on the side of the freeway JUST north of the benalla on ramp heading wodonga direction, I couldn't be bothered stopping.

And there's an abandon red impreza hatch with a canary in Broadford out front of the paper recycling joint, been there for a good week and a bit now!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Sidchrome ball pein hammer disguised as a cheap chinese piece of crap, nice surprise to see its pedigree :D

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 am

RSR 555 wrote:After spending the weekend at Two Rocks, I'm convinced Guyph is the Roadside King.. he would take a week just to list the stuff he has collected :???:
Lol i just read this thread now:)

I'm a student and renting a house with my bro and a mate and we can't really afford to spend big $$ on furniture so every year we renovate about 1/2 of the furniture in the house... LOL. Yes we frequently replace the living furniture or upgrade to better ones and it all comes from verge collection for FREE. TV, 6seat couch with matching coffee table, Leather Lazy boy recliner, dvd player, fridge, frizer, mower, blower, bar stool's, office chairs, garden chairs, we even have 3 BBQ, one on gas, on charcoal and one that use both, bird cages for my Galah, working phones in their box with the charger and manual, gps units. of cause they were not the latest stuff but still worked fine and about and so much more, too much to list.

Its crazy, the lazy boy is in perfect cond, something that would sell $200 or more easy. All it had wrong was it was missing a screw and the last owners didn't bother trying to see what was wrong and chucked it on the verge. most of the stuff are in very very good cond.

Once a mate came back with a boat lol, it was unlic on a unlic trailer, a 10ft metal one with a perfectly working 10hp. It was full of junk that we then chucked back on the verge in front of our house. When we ask, the lady said she didn't care and wanted it gone!
Another came back with a snow board in its carry bag!!!:S
And there is so much stuff that all our Mauritian friends do the same and get similar stuff.

I just want to say a huge thank-you to all those people that chuck perfectly good things on the verge, as all this free stuff has been much appreciated and has now found a loving home:)
I love this country:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 am

Yeah guy you love this country untill the council or cops come and stop you. They think its theirs! pfft finders keepers. If the owner doesn't want it how is it suddenly the councils? O Well doesn't stop me at hard rubbish! Hopefully this year i will find some car stuff :mrgreen:
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:42 am

found a really good swag with a good sleeping bag inside that i still use (of course i washed it though)

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 am

The Caloundra rubbish dump has been flogged off to J.J. Richards and they now want you to empty ALL cardboard boxes and flatten them and place them in a special trailer. I saw a removalist truck with a container load of boxes and they were emptying out all the boxes first.

I told the guy at the tip point to tell his employer that all they were going to do was increase the roadside rubbish and he said they were increasing the dumping fees too, so Caloundra will go from Tidy Town of 2011 to The Dump of 2012.
Peter

coupe

Post by coupe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:04 pm

I love it when i can find a verge collection. I have supplied bikes to my three boys and countless tons of tubes and tyres to them thru verge collections over 15 years. I have rarely brought wood for the potbelly stove.
I have replaced clothes dryers , microwaves and various furniture.
I have salvaged and restored foldup bikes 7 in total.
I have never had to buy steel for my DIY projects. i have reroofed sheds and patios etc.
My latest project is using pipeline beds to make super strong shelves for the workshop.
and i found a paitient lifter on the verge last year which i turned into a engine lifter.
Cheers Pete
Use The Fork Luke

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 am

still eagle eyed and scored a 1/4" socket driver handle with the female socket on the top of the handle for extra grunt, complete with a socket marked 1/4

No photo due to imageshack changes - need to relearn it

alang

Post by alang » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:21 pm

yes their is some good pick en's out and about the last one i got was a outdoor setting with six chairs had a free sign on it in some ones front yard heavy as solid steel frame with thick glass top (not the cheep bunnings special) lucky i drive a liteace van only just fitted in. sitting in the back yard under the pergola now was on the way to pick up the misses had to tell her why i was late.

Return to “Open Slather”