Freydis plastic car polish ???

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

Freydis plastic car polish ???

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Wondering if any old timers remember this stuff ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-1950 ... 0308836536

is a similar empty tin to what I have scored - boot polish tin, yet mine have a red Ferrari of the 70's on its lid and they are full or partially full

Price was $2.20 for a 50g can - so metric starts to date tin post imperial measures.
Been trying to find out a bit about the stuff - an ad in the Age from 1955 reckons you can repaint over it !
The name is Moorabin based so maybe a Victorian special

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

Nice collectors item but sorry Jonno, I'm not that old to remember this stuff. The old red metal tin of T-Cut (by CarPlan) is the oldest one I can remember.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Was wonderin' why you replied even - was expecting a little older - we'll set Hylton as the upper bench mark :D

The polish donor told me he used it on his FJ, but the FJ was about a decade before 50g tins

off to find definition of "plastic"

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Hmmm... Here I was thinking car polish, not boot polish - only ever used kiwi nugget as a kid, now I water proof with snowseal.

Also, I don't polish ruby Scoo - delux auto car wash is the go after removing "excess mud" :p

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 am

Well somewhere in my faded memory bank I remember the old man had a tin of polish that may have looked like that. But it would have been around 1952-1953 as the only new car at the time he had was a company supplied Chevy Fleetmaster he was a Stock and Station agent and the tin of polish was about the size of a 2oz tin of dubbin.
:evil::twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 am

It is car polish for paint work not its plastics , plastic is something can be moulded from soft to then form something hard - so soft goop forms hard protective layer once set off on your paint though I'd hate to see a $5k paint job go yuck coz it was still underneath. First time I spotted the stuff I thought it was boot polish, then I thought it was for plastic bumpers until FJ came into the conversation :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Well, I'll be .... was in a 46 year old shed belonging to a friend almost double that and he has one of these exact featured tins. Slyly picked it out and asked how old it'd be . 1950's he says. Totally smooth round tin not with the boot polish type dimples. He bought it coz it was the polish of choice of the funeral director. It is either long lasting or hard to use coz he still had some blobs in it - still not dried up or gone horrible after all this time !!

alang

Post by alang » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 pm

i used this stuff back in the 80's on my EH Panel Van Porzelack 'O'Wax it gave you up to six months protection if you put it on right and just hose the dirt of and dry it with a chamois

"O" WAX This premium product based mainly on pristine and pure CARNAUBA wax can be applied to give a particularly durable preserving deep high gloss on all types of lacquers, giving a diamond hard wax finish with the best lasting qualities in the world. The basis of the "O" Wax is CARNAUBA, a natural tree wax from South America and the hardest natural wax known as a waterproofing agent.

DIRECTIONS Apply thinly with a damp soft cloth or foam applicator in a circular motion directly over the paint surface which has been treated with Porzelack Auto Polish with Teflon, Perfect High Gloss Polish or Porzelack Super Cut.
A large area can be waxed at on time, allow to dry competely and polish off with a soft clean cloth or microfibre cloth turning the cloth over continuously.

Return to “Open Slather”