any water engineers in here?

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

any water engineers in here?

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:31 am

Is it hydraulic engineering, the science of water .....? I know a guy with troubles of underground water source trickling across or through his house block...that after the house was extended on the lower side of a sloping block, constructed to not encourage water towards the house has got a bloody spring running through the place!
Not sure if it is a capillary effect that has gripped him.....

Just thinking the geo textile fabric road builders use between layers of lime before the bitumen goes down. I think it may be to wick moisture away .....

it may even be a case of drilling some wells on the blocks high side to divert water, though one problem it seems is the water is coming from the neighbouring block ... a deep trench down that neighbours side has done nothing as far as the trench has been dug, past the line of his extension on the lower side of the slope . Water still trickles out weeks after no rain - not a goo feeeling withthat happening across ya garage floor. Not sure how many consultants have had a say but job is not fixed ...any suggestions ??

I reckon a class of engineering students touring his house and block may have some positive result, may cause nightmares too ......

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:59 am

Most plumbers should know how to sort it, usually a trench, ag pipe and then coarse gravel before backfilling. Idea is water seeps into deep trench and into ag pipe to be diverted around the problem area
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Gannon wrote:Most plumbers should know how to sort it, usually a trench, ag pipe and then coarse gravel before backfilling. Idea is water seeps into deep trench and into ag pipe to be diverted around the problem area
yes normally they would use some sort of granite / gravel and a membrane on the house side of the trench.

could make it into a new age water feature ... a moat springs to mind :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:50 pm

TOONGA wrote:yes normally they would use some sort of granite / gravel and a membrane on the house side of the trench.

could make it into a new age water feature ... a moat springs to mind :)

TOONGA
This. :cool:

I'm a poly-pipe welder these days, but this is out of my scope. ;)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Mmm, think trench needs to go further up the side of the house. He has pipes and drains all over the place - taking care of surface water but this thing is like groundwater, did all the right things with membranes etc for footings and slab. The front yard is also high above the street with a 1200 high rock retaining wall. Theory is it is like a dam wall and wet not getting away , so ground remains soggy , not encouraging more water to continue on its way away..

Return to “Open Slather”