thinking of buying a cheap MIG Welder...

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
stinky

thinking of buying a cheap MIG Welder...

Post by stinky » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:47 pm

I've been toying with the idea of buying a cheap gasless mig welder ... I've seen quite a few around the traps for around the $500 mark which I'd probably be willing to spend, but not too much more.

I've never welded before, so this will be a learning thing, hence I don't want to spend a bucket on one.

Anyone know of the best ones to get in that price range? Also tech specs I should look out for? wattage, duty cycles, etc ...
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:03 pm

Im also interested in this. I can do just about everything else... time to weld.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Pretty much in that price range will be a compromise in every aspect but look for something that can use a 5kg roll at they will al use a .5kg roll. Something you can buy spares for in the future if there is one on special somewhere see if it is copper wound most likely anything in that price range wont be but you may be lucky
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

julian

Post by julian » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Just a word of caution, the gasless MIG wire is bloody expensive. $500 bucks can get you a basic MIG unit but for a lot less you can get an decent arc welder- the consumables for which are dirt cheap compared to the MIG.
An arc makes a lot more sense if you are just learning how to weld, but if you have your heart set on a MIG get a decent brand, DONT go to supercheap auto!
My local BOC gas&gear have in house welding demonstrations, so they would be good place to start with questions.
Dont forget other gear, get a good welding helmet that conforms to australian standards (some shitfromchina masks are just downright dangerous), a self dimming one will set you back $100 but is so much easier to use. Welding gloves to the elbows, and if you ever set your overalls on fire (not as amusing as it sounds!!) get a welding apron.

Just my 2 cents.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

subanator

Post by subanator » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:07 am

A bit later on, I will get a gasless MIG also. A bloke at work had got one recently around $200-300 at a machinery shop. Reckons it splatters a bit with the flux sheild rods, but did a resonable job on his exhaust. I might be able to track down the brand and get back on this. (But this is in WA so suppliers may have to be found locally in other states)
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

subanator

Post by subanator » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:13 am

Didnt quite see what I was told originally. Found a wire feed MIG for $375, cheapest for them, but the rod hand feed gasless are lipe the SIP brand, and seems they are not as good. That was at Toolmart.
I will chase up that brand when I see that bloke next.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:02 pm

I have a little SIP 150 (i think thats the model it is). Although they are worth around $650, it is a great all rounder, reversable polarity, takes 5 kg rolls, excepts the little throw way bottles (and can except big bottles with an adaptor). Also has 6 voltage setting as well as current (read wire feed adjustment on a pot(turning nob thing)). Works reasonible well on steel, stainless but aluminium seems to an issue, but that could be me. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.
Cheers
Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Return to “Open Slather”