need an advice/suggestions... work ute..

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
AlpineRaven

need an advice/suggestions... work ute..

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm

G'day guys,
Recently taken up a new job as woodworking machinery engineer and in 3 months the company is giving me an one tonner ute to take home (they havent got it yet) and I have a problem here, is that I have a 7 months old daughter, from what I know that VicRoads does not accept any babies or toddler in front passenger seat - is that correct?

Now, what should I do - Is it rude to say "oh i cannot have one tonner ute, either you will have to give me dual cub or an hatchback?" I'm only thinking about my daughter which she will need to be picked up on my way home from day care next year when my wife goes back to work.

Really in my opinion I dont need a ute because Ive worked in that field for about 3 years, the only thing i put in my wagon is electric motors, small items but never machines or anything, never have need to bring machines back as i pull the parts off and take it to the factory for repairs.

What should I do? - Has anyone been in that position?

Another thing, I have an option - for 8 thou difference, if I keep my own car its $8000 more than using their car, but they'll pay for fuel work related jobs but not from home-work etc.
OR 8000 less - they will give me company car and everything is covered.... ive already worked out - its cheaper and saves more if I use company car.

What are the suggestions?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

riksta

Post by riksta » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:12 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:G'day guys,
Recently taken up a new job as woodworking machinery engineer and in 3 months the company is giving me an one tonner ute to take home (they havent got it yet) and I have a problem here, is that I have a 7 months old daughter, from what I know that VicRoads does not accept any babies or toddler in front passenger seat - is that correct?

AP
yes AP. I think you are right, No babies or toddlers in the front seat of a car,
And I think thats in all states.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 pm

ummm i know its not in SA
well when i got pulled over i didnt have a baby in the seat but i did have the seat there

i belive its if a seat is available and if the capsual is rated to go there

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Does it have passenger airbag? Because the air bag is not designed to be deployed with a capsule, which i'm pretty sure is the main reason why they're not meant to be in the front.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Please don't think I'm being harsh just reasonable from the business side of it ;)

If a company gives you a car to use it's for business purposes first and foremost and for them it's a taxable rightoff 100% if it's a ute. If it has 4 doors then it's only 50% tax efficient for them.

Not sure about the laws in other states but in WA you must have a rear facing seat and it must be anchored but the designated baby seat anchor point which I'm sure no 2 door ute has.

Sorry and I hope you can come to a easy solution.. let us know how it turns out :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 am

wouldn't you talk to your employer about what your options are before you talk to the internet?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 am

If the ute is the only thing they can give you then just use your car. Try to negotiate a bit more than 8 thou - if you can show them the figures they might bend.

78sti

Post by 78sti » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:50 am

As long as your baby is over 6 months she can face forwards (providing she is over 8kg).

Also the law says that they must be in the back seat up to 4 years if the car has 2 rows of seats.

That means that they can sit in the front of a ute provided you use a baby seat!

If the car has a passenger air bag there should be some way of turning it off if a baby seat is fitted (not sure if all cars are able to do this) And the top anchor point can eaisly be added (this is the case for many cars). The rest of the seat would fit the same as if it was in the back.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:41 pm

You could inquire at a dealer too, they should have dealt with the issue before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tex

Post by tex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:02 pm

RSR 555 wrote: it must be anchored but the designated baby seat anchor point which I'm sure no 2 door ute has.
It is worth inspecting the vehicle for these as some utes do I.E. the VG commodores had these factory I know from experience, Although I've never fitted a capsule to anything else again if you can find a ute that doesn't have a passenger side airbag then your on your way, The commercial vehicles we had in canada had an override switch that you used the keys to operate. They used to have aftermarket people to install them in some utes they may be the people to ask or kidsafe!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Return to “Open Slather”