who buys parts online now?

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

who buys parts online now?

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 am

With the local carparts chain of six or so family owned has just closed one branch. Another branch quoted me $40 for a BJ257 MY/L ball joint. I usually get trade prices (coz I shove them on a mates account :) ) . Recalled $20 each three years ago. Looked online to find I can get a pair of them for $30 if I lived close by the Sydney location or add ten bucks for post and wait . Not hard to do the maths.To add to that, the branch I was at did not stock item anymore either.

A lot of us are not in good supply locations so have always needed to order stuff in, or you could not afford the local supply prices. As a kid I recall it being a good saving to rail freight a new lawn mower from Sydney than to buy what the local agent had in stock.The internet has only just greatly improved on the old mail order stuff for you. In other cases you may live next to a supplier and still save heaps by getting online.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:16 am

I use Ebay quite a bit to quote Paul "try Ebay TOONGA lives there" or I ask T'SUBARU nicely to organise and ship. (I send him the money he buys and mails parts, no jokes please Paul :) )

I bought bottom ball Joints for my brumby from Ebay 40 dollars a pair shipped, 30 dollars for the items 10 dollars for shipping. local stores have exact same parts for nearly 40 dollars each. with a 2 week wait on order then courier fees as well. I have often wondered if they use Ebay myself.

If I hadn't bought my weber via Ebay it would've cost around 500 dollars AU not 120 dollars with a kit and manual choke setup.

I know people are very wary of Ebay and have horror stories, if you doubt the seller don't buy from them simple. Always use paypal and never leave feedback until you have the item and it works.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 pm

TOONGA wrote:I send him the money he buys and mails parts, no jokes please Paul :)

TOONGA
I don't what you are insinuating :rolleyes:

but yes I buy lots online.. just use large companies with good reputations :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Yeah I think you'll find that's the case with alot of online stores not just for car parts but for everything. I buy everything I can online, simply because I can't afford to buy from a real shop. I would if I could, but sometimes the extra $10-$20 difference puts me off going to a shop, unless I need something urgently of course.

I fly R/C planes as well, and once found a really cheap low quality toy plane for $130 in a shop, when you can buy an identical item for about $30 on ebay, TOONGA I wonder if sometimes they use ebay as well :o And I'd like to know where you found a Weber for $120! All I can find on ebay is the $5-$600 kits :???:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Silverbullet wrote: TOONGA I wonder if sometimes they use ebay as well :o And I'd like to know where you found a Weber for $120! All I can find on ebay is the $5-$600 kits :???:
I was very lucky it had a buy it now price of 60 dollars US, add a carby kit for 20 US and 40 US shipping. I had my Weber with a big thanks to T'SUBARU :) for buying and shipping it.

EBAY motors not EBAY Australia

TOONGA

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 pm

I buy a fair amount of parts on line. Its convenient and usually at a good cost savings. Ive sourced parts from 3 continents for my wagon project, and also shipped to a few continents...unfortunatly one continent too many:confused:
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 am

Silverbullet wrote:I fly R/C planes as well, and once found a really cheap low quality toy plane for $130 in a shop
I use Hobby King.. very well priced and great service :)
T'subaru wrote:I buy a fair amount of parts on line. Its convenient and usually at a good cost savings. Ive sourced parts from 3 continents for my wagon project, and also shipped to a few continents...unfortunatly one continent too many:confused:
LOL.. ones you don't even send them too :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:19 am

I've been buying om line for years, you'll need to set up a PayPal account which is also very handy for transferring money to other people without the huge fee's banks charge.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

78sti

Post by 78sti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:44 am

I have bought many car parts over ebay. I have found the uk a great source of car parts and usually only takes 1 week to turn up. I have only once had a company go broke but paypal refunded me within a few weeks so again make sure you use paypal as it is like insurance if the seller goes bust and the item does not turn up.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 am

T'subaru wrote:... also shipped to a few continents...unfortunately one continent too many:confused:
RSR 555 wrote:LOL.. ones you don't even send them too :mrgreen:
yep I got some pictures from my clutch yesterday, seems it is snowing at the Berlin wall, the Rhine is frozen and the German Parliment was at lunch.

seems to be having a great holiday. :)

In all fairness it was a dumbo at USPS the thought Australia was Austria.

TOONGA

T'subaru

lets see how this works out

Post by T'subaru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 am

Lost the wiper motor on my xt6 last eve on my drive to work,so im out of town, about 150 miles from home and no xt's or xt6's in the wreckers within 100 miles. Ive ordered a replacment on line from rockauto.com ups overnight
having it shipped to where I stay. Total with freight is still 50 bucks less than a local purchase which would have to be ordered in anyway. Some parts for these cars arent stocked due to low demand. I even carry a spare rebuilt alternator now.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 am

T'subaru wrote:Lost the wiper motor on my xt6 last eve on my drive to work,so im out of town, about 150 miles from home and no xt's or xt6's in the wreckers within 100 miles. Ive ordered a replacment on line from rockauto.com ups overnight
having it shipped to where I stay. Total with freight is still 50 bucks less than a local purchase which would have to be ordered in anyway. Some parts for these cars arent stocked due to low demand. I even carry a spare rebuilt alternator now.
Goddamn.. wish we got service like that.. I can't even get my local parts store (4 doors down) to deliver to me on time :???:

Oh and I love how you can get a brand new (incl. delivery) wiper motor for a not so common car for $50.. we couldn't even buy a secondhand one from a wreckers for that price :( I so wished I lived in the States :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 am

wasn't $50, just $50 less than. Our genuine prices are much the same as in US from what I have compared

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm

It worked out well :)...I received the package the next day and installed the motor, about 86.00 total including overnight shipping vs high 120.00's and state sales tax. The best part is I can get myself home at the end of the work week, its a long drive in the dark and we get plenty of rain.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:18 pm

steptoe wrote:wasn't $50, just $50 less than. Our genuine prices are much the same as in US from what I have compared
Sorry my mistake :(
T'subaru wrote:It worked out well :)...I received the package the next day and installed the motor, about 86.00 total including overnight shipping vs high 120.00's and state sales tax. The best part is I can get myself home at the end of the work week, its a long drive in the dark and we get plenty of rain.
$86 total.. still better than buying a secondhand one (not delivered) from Swans Wreckers aka thieves

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Open Slather”