new toybaru coupe

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
thunder039

new toybaru coupe

Post by thunder039 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:03 pm

im sure that most of us have heard of the subaru and toyota partnership and the creation of the ft86 (the coupe) toyota has announced that there version of the coupe will be RWD, but from what i have read subaru has not confirmed whether it will be RWD or AWD (im hoping AWD) it would only make sense if the coupe is AWD. i think its fantastic that subaru are releasing another coupe as they always have up untill the 22b wrx back in 99.
what are peoples thought on the new coupe? or does anyone have any new information?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 am

I think toyota are going to really influence subaru and we're going to be getting newer vehicles that are going to be less "subaruie" than what we've had previously! The current models are already too big IMO.

I think the coupe will be an AWD, it would be a shame for subaru to drop their AWD brand for a sports coupe, they've worked hard to get the understanding of the safety aspect of AWD out there to build their brand name and reputation. They would be stupid to go against that now.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:27 am

I have a feeling it will be RWD going from the sketch i saw. The engine was too far back in the engine bay for a transaxle to work.

If Subaru were serious about a sports car, they would throw the engine in the boot, and have the drivetrain round backwards, kinda like an AWD Porche
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

daza

Post by daza » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 am

The design has always been Rwd.
Subaru Japan is happy with this, Subaru Australia is not because it doesn't fit in with there advertising.
It'll be a great car, but unlike any other Subaru.
It's just a shame they didn't make it MR.
Daza.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:57 am

El_Freddo wrote:I think toyota are going to really influence subaru and we're going to be getting newer vehicles that are going to be less "subaruie" than what we've had previously! The current models are already too big IMO.

I think the coupe will be an AWD, it would be a shame for subaru to drop their AWD brand for a sports coupe, they've worked hard to get the understanding of the safety aspect of AWD out there to build their brand name and reputation. They would be stupid to go against that now.

Cheers

Bennie
totally i agree an i think we have already seen design influences with the current model subaru's looking more of an average car, not a unique subaru! i am hoping the coupe will be AWD and it wouldnt make sense from a marketing perspective to make to RWD. subaru has invested big $$ into the advertising of AWD for many years, and would seem like a step backwards. as Gannon said from the sketches and the engine placement it would be very difficult to make the car AWD and if there were serious would out the engine in the back.

78sti

Post by 78sti » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 am

I don't this should be or ever will be AWD. The engine has been moved far back behind the strut tower and lowered to achieve near perfect weight balance for a RWD sports car. If you want awd buy a wrx.

This could be one of the next great rwd sports coupes and may become very popular as a drift car if they can keep the price right.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

78sti wrote:If you want awd buy a wrx.
but what about for those who want a AWD coupe? as i said in my first post Subaru have always made a coupe until the turn of the century. and why not put the new AWD into a Subaru classic body style? but yes unfortunately it has already been said the motor placement in the chassy is incorrect for a AWD. non the less i do look forward to the release of the new coupe and will like to see how sale figures will compare to the rest of the subaru fleet and Toyota, as the Toyota and Subaru will be virtually identical.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 am

toyota and subaru coupe that is

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:00 am

According to the toyota page for the FT-86II this is what it will look like when it ships to Australia

I can find no official page for the Subaru version on any Subaru site but Im still looking

this is the only refernce Subaru has made to its' version on the global website and Im pretty sure it is the same PDF Giles found a while ago looks like Subaru will be delivering a RWD to Australia

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 am

from what i have read in the papers in the last few months its going to be RWD 2.0l n/a.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Alex wrote:from what i have read in the papers in the last few months its going to be RWD 2.0l n/a.
i have read the same thing. has anyone read anything on a price range? i have also read whispers that subaru may make a sti version that is turbo!:-D

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:07 pm

just an update the name for the new coupe will be the brz. it will b rwd as thought. price is believed to be around the 25000 us dollar so around 30000au. subaru version is NOT confirmed for aus. seems subaru aus dont want to import the vehicle due the rwd

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm

At the risk of being banned...

How bout a "Mazaru"... an AWD sports coupe with a 13B or 20B turbo :p

That would be seriously fast & rotaries are so easy to get huge gains with minor mods.

Easy figures are:
13BT: 550HP+
20BT: 800HP+

Please dont ban me :(

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Subaru have plans to build a 1.6 ltr AWD 7 speed WRX STI by 2014 which should make it eligible for the WRC

or so this article boasts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gts58/6101 ... otostream/

Ive seen this in a few stores in different magazines as well, only Im not spending 15 dollars on a single article :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:19 pm

[quote="TOONGA"]Subaru have plans to build a 1.6 ltr AWD 7 speed WRX STI by 2014 which should make it eligible for the WRC[/QUOTE

yea i have also read that they are looking to make it twin turbo charged and 2 door. should be cool to see.

correct me if im wrong but apparently they are not releasing another wrx until the release of this new one?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Given the size of the AU market I'd guess Subaru AU will happily NOT bring it down under - there isn't much demand for a RWD coupe here and Toyota will happily sell a small number just to (a) get some showroom traffic, and (b) appear to have more than whitegoods on wheels.

(Otherwise they could have brought in the Scion FWD coupe as sold in the US market, like they did with the xB (Rukus))

For Subaru Australia, it's just competition for Impreza variants...
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 pm

yes it seems unlikely from a marketing prospective that the subaru badged ft86 will come down under

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 am

So the really cool guy's amongst you will do a personal import then !:rolleyes:

I mean who would be seen dead driving a cough -splutter
- TOY - HO TA !:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 pm

1111giles wrote:So the really cool guy's amongst you will do a personal import then !:rolleyes:

I mean who would be seen dead driving a cough -splutter
- TOY - HO TA !:mrgreen:
i doubt i would. wouldnt drive a RWD subaru. just doesnt seem right....

Return to “Open Slather”