Shark Attacks, Killer Coconuts, Vicious Vending Machines

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Shark Attacks, Killer Coconuts, Vicious Vending Machines

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am

I'm very sorry to hear another person has been likely killed by a great white shark over in Perth.

Now we have the sensationalist media calling for something to be done as now 3 people have been killed in the last 18mths.

I'm sorry 3 people have died but...3 PEOPLE HAVE DIED IN 18 MONTHS...ONLY 3!!!

How did those 3 get to the beach? Did they click their fingers & magically appear or did they drive IN THEIR CAR?

How many people die every year IN CAR ACCIDENTS? & what you dont hear about are the 10s OF 1000s who suffer terrible PERMANENT injuries...every year!

Please lets get this in perspective....

On average every year:
LESS than 1 person dies from shark attack in Oz.
Around 3 people worldwide.
500-700 people die in car accidents in Oz.
Over 500,000 worldwide.
15 people die worldwide from falling coconuts.
15 people die worldwide from vending machines tipping over.
Thats not including wars, gang shootings, accidental shootings, murders, CLIMATE CHANGE or falling off chairs changing light bulbs!

There are soooo many ways to die in this world. When will we stop fixating on such tiny rates of shark attacks & get some perspective.

Anyway thats my rant for the day....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am

nachaluva wrote:I'm very sorry to hear another person has been likely killed by a great white shark over in Perth.

Now we have the sensationalist media calling for something to be done as now 3 people have been killed in the last 18mths.

I'm sorry 3 people have died but...3 PEOPLE HAVE DIED IN 18 MONTHS...ONLY 3!!!

How did those 3 get to the beach? Did they click their fingers & magically appear or did they drive IN THEIR CAR?

How many people die every year IN CAR ACCIDENTS? & what you dont hear about are the 10s OF 1000s who suffer terrible PERMANENT injuries...every year!

Please lets get this in perspective....

On average every year:
LESS than 1 person dies from shark attack in Oz.
Around 3 people worldwide.
500-700 people die in car accidents in Oz.
Over 500,000 worldwide.
15 people die worldwide from falling coconuts.
15 people die worldwide from vending machines tipping over.
Thats not including wars, gang shootings, accidental shootings, murders, CLIMATE CHANGE or falling off chairs changing light bulbs!

There are soooo many ways to die in this world. When will we stop fixating on such tiny rates of shark attacks & get some perspective.

Anyway thats my rant for the day....
i see your point BUT i dont think its shark attacks overall i think its because its more then likely the same shark great whites are like crows once they know food is there they,ll keep coming back the only way to stop them is to destroy them.... im on my 5th crow... i think ill just get rid of the chickens
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:18 pm

mud_king91 wrote:i see your point BUT i dont think its shark attacks overall i think its because its more then likely the same shark. great whites are like crows once they know food is there they,ll keep coming back the only way to stop them is to destroy them.... im on my 5th crow... i think ill just get rid of the chickens
Thanks for your comment but I have to disagree. Great whites are migratory & its very unlikely this shark is still in the area. Thats why in past cases they have killed sharks yet almost never been able to find the shark with the remains when they cut it open.

There have been many shark attack victims & families of victims who have begged for the shark not to be hunted & destroyed...eg Rodney Fox. Also the family of that boy killed off Adelaide couple of years ago.

Crows are highly intelligent animals who depend on their ability to learn. Sharks are far more instinctive who rely on their incredible set of senses. They are even able to sense your heartbeat!

PS: sorry bout your chickens lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:12 pm

nachaluva wrote:Thanks for your comment but I have to disagree. Great whites are migratory & its very unlikely this shark is still in the area. Thats why in past cases they have killed sharks yet almost never been able to find the shark with the remains when they cut it open.

There have been many shark attack victims & families of victims who have begged for the shark not to be hunted & destroyed...eg Rodney Fox. Also the family of that boy killed off Adelaide couple of years ago.

Crows are highly intelligent animals who depend on their ability to learn. Sharks are far more instinctive who rely on their incredible set of senses. They are even able to sense your heartbeat!

PS: sorry bout your chickens lol
its only taking the eggs oh and iut took my duckling

WTB

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:59 pm

from what i understand there are a few strange circumstances around the disappearance and it's only a possibility that the scare mongering australian media have jumped on to make a story . . . and ive been told by a few old sea dogs that sharks will generally take a bite and then leave humans as they don't like the taste.. alot of shark attacks are non-fatal when i'd say if a shark wanted to chow down it could quite easily . . i surf and i understand im intruding on the men in the grey suits home, it's a risk alot of people take and one i'll continue to take, the austalian media just loves to scare monger.

my 5 cents.
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:18 pm

nachaluva wrote: There are soooo many ways to die in this world. When will Channels 7, 9 and 10 stop fixating on such tiny rates of shark attacks & get some perspective.
Fixed :mrgreen:

Don't even worry about it nachaluva, they do this all the time and nothing will ever change. People just love to watch negative spin on everything (sharks, people, politics :rolleyes:) and those channels just give it to them. Don't get me wrong ABC still report on that stuff but I find they're far less fear mongering and more neutral towards the stories.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Richie-Rich

Post by Richie-Rich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:13 pm

[quote="woody.t"]. . . and ive been told by a few old sea dogs that sharks will generally take a bite and then leave humans as they don't like the taste.. alot of shark attacks are non-fatal

Whilst this is true, as was seen recently with an animal as large and powerful as a GW, a nibble will turn most normal people into 2.. We don't fair to well with one or both femoral arteries severed.

I surf, and I have a great respect for sharks and what they are. But as for swimming alone 300m from the shore, that strikes me as crazy thing to do (he loved it so he was happy) and asking for some company.

Either that or a Japanese sub...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:27 pm

FATAL SHARK ATTACKS IN WA

September 4, 2011: Kyle Burden was killed while body boarding with friends at Bunker Bay, near Dunsborough, in Western Australia.

August 2010: Nicholas Edwards, 31, fatally mauled at Gracetown, near Margaret River.

December 2008: Port Kennedy fisherman Brian Guest, 51, taken by a giant white pointer while snorkelling for crabs in about 5m of water near his beachside home.

March 2005: A 6m white pointer killed boat skipper Geoffrey Brazier, 26, while he snorkelled off the Abrolhos Islands.

July 2004: Carpenter Brad Smith, 29, was attacked and killed by two sharks while surfing off Gracetown.

November 2000: Businessman Ken Crew, 48, was killed by a 4m white pointer in waist-deep water at North Cottesloe. In October 1997, Former St Kilda footballer Brian Sierakowski and friend Barney Hanrahan escaped injury when a 5m white pointer attacked their double surf-ski 150m off Cottesloe.

November 1925: Samuel Ettelton, 55, was fatally attacked by a tiger shark while floating on his back at Cottesloe Beach.

Seven known fatal shark attacks in WA since 1925.

I surf (when Im allowed to) and I have noticed in the last decade that attacks on surfers world wide have increased.

I remember as a child swimming and surfing at Trigg and the shark alarm would go off, all the swimmers would get out of the water but never the surfers.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Both the Cottesloe attacks were on lawyers so they don't really count, cannibalism is just nature amongst all species of sharks.

I would support the shark cause if they weren't so tasty.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm

d_generate wrote:Both the Cottesloe attacks were on lawyers so they don't really count, cannibalism is just nature amongst all species of sharks.

I would support the shark cause if they weren't so tasty.
Yes very true & very well put :mrgreen:

I like shark (flake) too but try to have something else cos of rapidly dwindling shark no.s...over 100 million (100,000,000 - thats a lotta zeros!) are slaughtered every year, most just for their fins, then tossed back in to die a horrible slow death :(
TOONGA wrote:FATAL SHARK ATTACKS IN WA

September 4, 2011: Kyle Burden was killed while body boarding with friends at Bunker Bay, near Dunsborough, in Western Australia.

August 2010: Nicholas Edwards, 31, fatally mauled at Gracetown, near Margaret River.

December 2008: Port Kennedy fisherman Brian Guest, 51, taken by a giant white pointer while snorkelling for crabs in about 5m of water near his beachside home.

March 2005: A 6m white pointer killed boat skipper Geoffrey Brazier, 26, while he snorkelled off the Abrolhos Islands.

July 2004: Carpenter Brad Smith, 29, was attacked and killed by two sharks while surfing off Gracetown.

November 2000: Businessman Ken Crew, 48, was killed by a 4m white pointer in waist-deep water at North Cottesloe. In October 1997, Former St Kilda footballer Brian Sierakowski and friend Barney Hanrahan escaped injury when a 5m white pointer attacked their double surf-ski 150m off Cottesloe.

November 1925: Samuel Ettelton, 55, was fatally attacked by a tiger shark while floating on his back at Cottesloe Beach.

Seven known fatal shark attacks in WA since 1925.

I surf (when Im allowed to) and I have noticed in the last decade that attacks on surfers world wide have increased.

I remember as a child swimming and surfing at Trigg and the shark alarm would go off, all the swimmers would get out of the water but never the surfers.

TOONGA
7 since 1925! would have thought was more. See how the media make us paranoid lol :rolleyes:

Yeah i'v noticed attacks increasing too. Something to do with decreasing fish/whale populations & increasing human population perhaps. Less food so they give us a go...

Arent surfers a funny lot. After i think the Dunsborough attack you could still see (some) surfers in the water the next day lol :eek:
Richie-Rich wrote:
woody.t wrote:. . . and ive been told by a few old sea dogs that sharks will generally take a bite and then leave humans as they don't like the taste.. alot of shark attacks are non-fatal

Whilst this is true, as was seen recently with an animal as large and powerful as a GW, a nibble will turn most normal people into 2.. We don't fair to well with one or both femoral arteries severed.

I surf, and I have a great respect for sharks and what they are. But as for swimming alone 300m from the shore, that strikes me as crazy thing to do (he loved it so he was happy) and asking for some company.

Either that or a Japanese sub...
yeah just a taste is almost always fatal with a GW.

In Africa they have a big prob with bull sharks, esp on the Zambesi R., even several THOUSAND kms inland. They tend not to be fatal, just leave horrific wounds.
Silverbullet wrote: Originally Posted by nachaluva Image
There are soooo many ways to die in this world. When will Channels 7, 9 and 10 stop fixating on such tiny rates of shark attacks & get some perspective.
Fixed :mrgreen:

Don't even worry about it nachaluva, they do this all the time and nothing will ever change. People just love to watch negative spin on everything (sharks, people, politics ) and those channels just give it to them. Don't get me wrong ABC still report on that stuff but I find they're far less fear mongering and more neutral towards the stories.
haha very good lol :D
We are fascinated by danger arent we...
woody.t wrote:i surf and i understand im intruding on the men in the grey suits home, it's a risk alot of people take and one i'll continue to take
Yep its their turf. So long as we use some common sense we should (lol) be fine, ie, if you are bleeding get out of the water! :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:34 pm

I have a fool proof way to avoid sharks...don't go in the water!

Having surfed most of my life, you have to respect that we are the ones not designed to be in the ocean. Sharks are.

If you enter their environment, you are food (potentially) Is not personal, not as if they say 'bloody humans, kill 'em all' (like we do to sharks!). Sharks do what they do best - kill and eat.

It is a risk that swimmers and surfers have to get right in their head. If you can't, go play tennis or lawn bowls

Imagine if the same effort was put towards reducing the road toll. Or youth suicide. Or women killed as a result of domestic violence. That would save more lives than sharks could ever take.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:45 pm

sven '2' wrote:I have a fool proof way to avoid sharks...don't go in the water!

Having surfed most of my life, you have to respect that we are the ones not designed to be in the ocean. Sharks are.

If you enter their environment, you are food (potentially) Is not personal, not as if they say 'bloody humans, kill 'em all' (like we do to sharks!). Sharks do what they do best - kill and eat.

It is a risk that swimmers and surfers have to get right in their head. If you can't, go play tennis or lawn bowls

Imagine if the same effort was put towards reducing the road toll. Or youth suicide. Or women killed as a result of domestic violence. That would save more lives than sharks could ever take.

very well put sven

most that go into the water know and respect the risks involved (more dangerous getting to the beach statistically )

I personally would not want a shark that killed me be hunted down at great expense and killed

(lawyers excepted)
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

i cant say much my fishing trips turn into a bull shark hunt did you know they are supposedly the most aggresive shark towards humans did you also know the white pointer and bull shark share the same jaw and bite pattern ?

WTB

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:36 pm

sven '2' wrote:I have a fool proof way to avoid sharks...don't go in the water!

+1. that was very well said....

BTW, have you noticed all the references to lawyers as ''sharks''? lol. Hope there's no lawyers on here lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm

At the risk of creating further dislike of toothies, heres a few photos to spur on the imagination:

Time to get a Tatts ticket lol

He's thinking "Is it a dolphin or shark?"

Keep this in mind next time you venture into the water...coconuts & vending machines kill more people than sharks do!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:22 pm

last images looks like a dolphin to me .. seen enough of them to scare the life out of me.. and a seal with a head the size of a large balloon puts its head out of the water five metres from me... but anyway..heres a good video, hopfefully keeps some people out of the water and out of my way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4HBSIErHw
to do list:

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

woody.t wrote:last images looks like a dolphin to me .. seen enough of them to scare the life out of me.. and a seal with a head the size of a large balloon puts its head out of the water five metres from me... but anyway..heres a good video, hopfefully keeps some people out of the water and out of my way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4HBSIErHw
hahaha AWESOME!

I think that was a shark! I'm sure i sure 2 vertical fins...a dorsal fin & the upper lobe of the caudal fin which is very large in sharks. If it was a dolphin you would only see the dorsal fin.

I reckon may have been a shark sizing him up then changing its mind at the last second.

I think he did the right thing getting the hell outta there but remember sharks are attracted to splashing...paddle quietly lol hahaha :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:21 pm

the video is definately a shark.. apparently they're quite common up there
to do list:

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:05 am

hahaha they are supposedly 98 out of 100 fish in the brisbane river is a shark... deception bay is filled with them there was romoured to be a decent size tiger in there at one point ( i dont believe it myself )

WTB

apg39

Post by apg39 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:22 am

Apparently there's a big movement about the shark diving in cages, 'associating' the sharks that free feed with humans in the water...next logical step for them is to attack the humans if there is no feed. May be a bit of a stretch but I get what they mean, leave them alone & they wont be as interested in us.

And if the media stop feeding us sensationalist stories how do they expect us to believe them when they want to spin us their political views?
Cheers,
Andrew

Return to “Open Slather”