When you feel like a complete Twat !!!

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

When you feel like a complete Twat !!!

Post by Cliff R » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Driving to work this morning which is a 22.7k trip each way and most of it at 100ks/hr. Went out of town, went from 60 to 100 and noticed the L series was quite noisy. Did the bloke thing, ignored this, turned the stereo up and when I was about 3 or 4 ks from work went, DOH :rolleyes: try 5th gear stupid :-D. Noise gone.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:49 pm

You oughta try revert back to an MY 4 speed and see how many times a day you go looking for fifth!! I keep doin' it but - 5th ain't there !!

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Having driven my MY to work and back for the last 14 or so years I am guessing my brain snap happened as I thought the L series was still the MY.
Brains are silly things arent they.

revmax

Post by revmax » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Cliff R wrote:Driving to work this morning which is a 22.7k trip each way and most of it at 100ks/hr. Went out of town, went from 60 to 100 and noticed the L series was quite noisy. Did the bloke thing, ignored this, turned the stereo up and when I was about 3 or 4 ks from work went, DOH :rolleyes: try 5th gear stupid :-D. Noise gone.
ROFL. done the same before myself though
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Don't worry Cliff, my mother in law drove Ruby Scoo in 4th at 100km/h from bendigo to cohuna (2 hours) because she didn't realise RS was a 5 speed! Gold. This was back in the day of the EA82...
steptoe wrote:You oughta try revert back to an MY 4 speed and see how many times a day you go looking for fifth!! I keep doin' it but - 5th ain't there !!
Jonno, there's a way to fix that :twisted: and no, it's not an EJ!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

revmax

Post by revmax » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:17 pm

El_Freddo wrote: Jonno, there's a way to fix that :twisted: and no, it's not an EJ!

Cheers

Bennie
yep l series 5 speed
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm

I nearly ran into this trouble yesterday but the other way round; coming up to a light that just went green I accelerated from second, into third, had to stay there for a while because traffic stayed constant speed and for some reason I just zoned out (not the best while driving in dense traffic :???:) anyway from third doing 60-65 I pressed the clutch and put the stick back into second! :confused:

Was just letting the clutch out again when I realized the mistake luckily didn't let the engine get up to those revs...although I have done 70 in second :mrgreen:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:55 am

Well I feel stupid then... I did it in my 4 speed Brumby.. I looked down and saw it was in fifth and just kept going along the 100km/h highway with Devil Dave looking at me really strange :???: I thought the engine was working hard but I was too busy talking.. very unlike me :rolleyes:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 am

I have just lost count of the number of Subies RSR has ....

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 pm

haha all classic :mrgreen:

As for me.... I've never been in the wrong gear :p

(I wish! :rolleyes:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:14 pm

steptoe wrote:I have just lost count of the number of Subies RSR has ....
I lost count many years ago too Jonno... It would be even scarier to count the ones I've sold :???:

It's also best I not say... as Mrs RSR really doesn't know and would probably get the shotgun out if she did :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 pm

When I had my old FJ60 5 speed Landcruiser I can guarantee I'd go for an imaginary 6th gear at least once per week......and I had it for 8yrs, I think it was the straight through 3" zorst with extractors making it so noisy, I regularly do it in the Liberty too, same reason, high revs and lots of noise too.......... even though the WRX offroader is even lower geared it's very quiet I so I often find myself screaming around in 4th instead of 5th lol
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Went for that much needed fifth in the Brumby today within first six kms . The worst thing is - I have a five speed 3.9 and diff just need a tailshaft and interior to match , bought the box five years ago !!

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Although not a suby, I was driving an automatic mazda 6 at the petrol station. Went to go backward with my head turned round over the seat and everything and went forward instead.. luckily realised straight away and caused no damage except to my driving ego haha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

alang

Post by alang » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 pm

should try it when their is 18 to choose from and then thinking what gear am i in. had a new driver put the truck back to first going up a hill and let the clutch out ripped the friction plate of one side of the clutch. don't know why the boss let him go truck was of the road for a week

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 pm

You're all idiots !!

I've never done anything even slightly close to that stupid.........................:oops:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pitrack_1

Dumb, dumber...and dangerous

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Whilst in the USA:

1) Dumb: Once while driving a manual (a rarity over there) I went to change gear as normal and wound the window down.

2) Dumber: Another time I returned to the car after paying the cashier at the servo. I opened the door and sat in the car to drive off, only to find myself in the passenger seat. Another time I opened the door to find the passenger staring at me with the "what the hell are you doing" look. Looks real silly in front of attractive ladies.

3) Dangerous:. It's amazing how easily you can adapt to driving on the right (as opposed to correct) side of the road. You can do it correctly all day. They most dangerous bit, however, is when you get back in the car (on the correct side for the wheel), engage gear (with the correct hand) and pull out. As you're in a foreign country you make doubly sure to pull out safely, keeping left- which places you on the wrong side of the road. Remember, the oncoming traffic is likely to be a F150 or bigger and intolerant of your ingrained panic reflex avoidance strategy of 'slow down, pull over to the left and allow them to pass.' Pulled out incorrectly twice, almost met the F150 once. Eek! :shock:
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:13 am

yerp found myself in fourth gear coming home from a river trip , would have done 80klms before I realised , my best was driving from Darwin to Adelaide a few years ago , pulled into the servo and filled up then left the servo heading north instead of south - daydreamed along for twenty klms and then see sign for Darwin :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 am

Yeah, I've done the autopilot thing, nearly got all the way to work before the other half asked where we were going.
Also used to laugh at my Dad, who had a habit of reaching for the column shift when driving my Mum's T-bar ZD Fairlane...his was an old XR Falcon, three-on-the-tree. Till I did it myself.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:40 am

I dont know how I would go if I had to drive on the opposite side of the road to what we do here.
Very easy in the UK its the same as us (only time I have been overseas) but, and someone correct me if I am wrong, in Woomera (SA) being an mainly US based personel place dont they drive on the other side to us.
I was there in 1983 on a coach trip around central NSW, QLD, NT and SA and seem to remember this was the case. I thought we had to cross over to the other side when going through town and back again when leaving.
Either this or my hangover was still taking effect at the time.

Return to “Open Slather”