When you feel like a complete Twat !!!

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 am

I think worst, most dangerous is LHD car on RHD roads - develops an immediate 'spasticity'?

alang

Post by alang » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:04 am

had a ford mustang RHD come out of the bp service centre at clybucca NSW turned right heading to Sydney, had a head on with a semi outside the servo the truck was heading to Brisbane he drove straight into the truck, killed him and the passanger

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:35 am

pitrack_1 wrote:Whilst in the USA:

3) Dangerous:. It's amazing how easily you can adapt to driving on the right (as opposed to correct) side of the road. You can do it correctly all day. They most dangerous bit, however, is when you get back in the car (on the correct side for the wheel), engage gear (with the correct hand) and pull out. As you're in a foreign country you make doubly sure to pull out safely, keeping left- which places you on the wrong side of the road. Remember, the oncoming traffic is likely to be a F150 or bigger and intolerant of your ingrained panic reflex avoidance strategy of 'slow down, pull over to the left and allow them to pass.' Pulled out incorrectly twice, almost met the F150 once. Eek! :shock:
Yeah been there done that. On holiday driving around LA and didn't have any drama because there are cars and signs everywhere so its obvious where you should be. Then went for a blast up in the hills along Mullholland Drive. Stopped in a layby to check out the views and when leaving it was an unmarked road with no traffic so instinctively turned on to the road and drove on the left side. First bend I came to there was an F100 that was on the 'wrong' side of the road and there was another car just behind him - it looked like he had just overtaken the other car. I was waiting for him to pull back in to what I though was the correct side of the road but he never did - then I realised the car behind him was on the same (my) side of the road and that it was ME who was on the wrong side - :oops:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 am

haha. Sh*t happens, we all do stupid shit like that :P

pitrack_1

Wrong side of the road

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm

niterida wrote:...when leaving it was an unmarked road with no traffic so instinctively turned on to the road and drove on the left side. First bend I came to there was an F100 that was on the 'wrong' side of the road and there was another car just behind him - it looked like he had just overtaken the other car. I was waiting for him to pull back in to what I though was the correct side of the road but he never did - then I realised the car behind him was on the same (my) side of the road and that it was ME who was on the wrong side - :oops:
Like overseas personnel at astronomical observatories... e.g. Siding Springs Mountain near Coonabarabran, NSW. Whilst doing uni work, a visiting American astronomer recounted how she drove the whole way down the mountain before realising she was on the wrong side of the road. It's ~4km, steep narrow and winding- anyone coming the other way and they would've had no chance. Sleep deprivation, crazy working hours, jet-lag, work worries and thinking about roos/wombats too doesn't help much either.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 pm

i went looking for third today and found first luckily i was gearing down it was wet and no-one was looking...
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:22 pm

mud_king91 wrote:no-one was looking...
In that case it never happened :roll:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 pm

"In that case it never happened" = I didnt do it, no one saw me do it, cant prove anything.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Cliff R wrote:"In that case it never happened" = I didnt do it, no one saw me do it, cant prove anything.
As someone who is about to get there license.
Can I use this one on the cops or parents? :rolleyes:
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm

nachaluva wrote:haha all classic :mrgreen:

As for me.... I've never been in the wrong gear :p

(I wish! :rolleyes:)
Really? I find this hard to believe! If you're true about it - go and challenge yourself -> Heavy Rigid NON SYNCHRO licence... I guarantee that you'll get the wrong gear more than once on that three day course!
Wagonman wrote:Although not a suby, I was driving an automatic mazda 6 at the petrol station. Went to go backward with my head turned round over the seat and everything and went forward instead.. luckily realised straight away and caused no damage except to my driving ego haha
I always after driving the manual around go for the invisible clutch pedal in the wife's auto - and sometimes I even go for a gear downshift when slowing...
Brumby Kid wrote:As someone who is about to get there license.
Can I use this one on the cops or parents? :rolleyes:
Not a chance! I really hope for your sake Cam that you've been taught how to drive a vehicle and not how to pass a test. The teaching how to pass a test is how most of our young drivers over here get their licence! Even the mandatory 120 hours of learning time diary is a farce - so many learners copying from each other to fill hours and apparently there are even websites that have diarys for learners to copy!!!

It's insane and I wish for everyone's sake that the government would take driver education more seriously!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Bennie, you missed the nachaluvas sarcasm :D and the bit in the brackets.

And some states do the honesty log book thing with no exam by an official - no test to pass.Think I really learnt to drive at 90 - 100mph - 62.5mph seemed such a walking pace after, then in a RWD 4 pot bomb in the dust, mud and gravel - really got the feel for things in that little beast -advancing to 4WD take offs on wet tarmac in the Brumby - will never grow out of that :razz:

Return to “Open Slather”