What I've been up to

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
olddog642

What I've been up to

Post by olddog642 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:29 pm

G’day Subie folk

I know this is a bit long winded but hard cheddar.

I hope I can add some pics if I remember how.

Well it has been some time since I last posted and this time it is not about Subies’ or even remotely related to Subies’, (but it is pertinent to anybody who is suffering from personal mobility problems due to various joints not being up to par as well as respiratory problems)
It is about me and what has been happening since I sold my beloved “Scamp”.
As few of you may know I had a problem with my legs and back well now to add further insult to injury I have detached tendons in my upper arms and shoulders and as they will not operate on me due to the high risk of losing me on the table (they had to call the crash cart last time and revived me) therefore I have to wear the injuries brought on by a good life and a few bad landings eheheh.
Now it is just a couple of weeks over 12 months that I sold Scamp as I required an automatic vehicle the reason being I could no longer depress the clutch and hold it or let it out slowly due to the muscle spasm in my leg ( bloody near had an accident at a set of traffic lights as my leg had a spasm and my foot lifted from the clutch in a stationary line of traffic luckily I almost always leave room to escape if another vehicle behind doesn’t look like stopping, this has saved me on many an occasion).
Well I purchased a Ford Marlin ute with all the bells and whistles on it, which was fine until it became to awkward and hard to get up out off, so another type vehicle was called for. Yeah I know I should have bought an auto Forrester but nothing was available in my price range plus I need something a little longer and with about 1100mm clearance height in through the rear hatch.
Right by about now some of you will be ready to pull the plug on reading this, but wait there is more.
All this being necessitated due buying a mobility scooter to get about on, as my ability to walk any distance had failed and most times whenever I do walk it is with a walking stick / cane unless I have a wall or something I can grasp in the event of toppling over. If I have been up and about for a while and the joints have freed up a bit I forget sometimes and put my stick down then before I know it I have taken a few paces and the stick is there and out of reach but not a big drama, as I said before it is mainly an outrigger ehehe. (To say that I was a bit sceptical and hesitant to buy the scooter is an understatement as I didn’t like the idea of being labelled a geriatric invalid at such a tender age, but I needed something to chase the birds as I couldn’t run to catch them.)

To this end I bought a Mitsubishi Starwagon WA series it was cheap and had a fair few kilometres on it but good condition as it was an Embassy vehicle and well maintained.
I can get out of this one real easy just swing my legs around and fall out.
I removed the rear seats and built a bunk down one side so I could lie down and use my nebuliser and also have my oxygen treatment whenever it was required as I become exhausted fairly quick and easy just like the girls up at the Cross ehhehe.
I also made it so the scooter would fit in without having to move the bunk.
The equipment I have purchased and some I have been issued is as follows
The scooter is a mid-size Invacare Pegasus four wheel model that has a range of around 40 kilometres. This has to be the best investment I have made in many a decade, I’m able to get out and about without relying on others. I’ve done a couple of things to it like built a bullbar, and made a trailer plus a folding sun shade for those days when the sun is intense overhead, twin mirrors and a fox tail hanging off one, walking stick holder, a wolf sticker and a couple of other stickers covering the name still to come is a radio, yeah I know I’m still a lair at heart, managed a bit of circle work with it in the backyard the other day ehehe.
An oxygen concentrator I purchased a few weeks back it is a portable one that can be operated using 210/240 volts, rechargeable battery plus it can also be powered using the motor vehicle auxiliary power source i.e. cig lighter socket. This has been another worthwhile purchase they are reasonably expensive, or can be depending on the type brand model and of course where you purchase them from. I got mine from China at about one sixth of the cost for the same item here.
Another item is a fully adjustable bed which has an elevating head rest, knee brake, hi-lo function, trendelenburg function and side rails plus and assist rail to help getting in and out, also an overhead self-help pole to hang the oxygen mask and bed function controls on including a grab handle to assist when sitting up.
This bed has allowed me to sleep in a more upright position making it easier to breath and with the knee brake I don’t slide down the bed and have the weight of my body pressing on my legs and hips thus helping to control the lower spine pain. This bed was issued to me thru the ACT Equipment Scheme (home and community care equipment program) so when I eventually kick the bucket it will be returned to them.
So to round it all up I’m still alive and kicking although not as active as I would wish to be.
If anybody has a problem and thought about various aids and alternatives don’t worry what others think do what is best for yourself as the ability to move about independent of others and to be able to get a modicum of beneficial rest please consider asking for help or advice from your local Community Health Care Team or bite the bullet and do something for yourself.
I have not regretted the purchases that I made and the freedom it has given me plus the ability to get out and smell the roses and sometimes the dog poop that I’ve inadvertently run over but that is another story.
Best regards to one and all
Hylton
The olddog
Attachments
DSC00651.JPG
DSC00651.JPG (97.56 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
DSC00650.jpg
DSC00650.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
DSC00482.jpg
DSC00482.jpg (59.06 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
DSC00387.jpg
DSC00387.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
DSC00366.jpg
DSC00366.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 1769 times

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sat May 19, 2012 8:17 am

Hey fella !
Looks like you are well sorted to travel now (thinks we'll forgive you the Mitz ehehe)
Good to see you are doing whats good for YOU !
Now tell me about the girls up at the cross ?? !!! hehehe:rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 am

Woohoo.. you're still alive Hylton you old rigpig :) Thought you'd left us but great story but next time buy the goddamn Forester :p
1111giles wrote:thinks we'll forgive you the Mitz
Not I :evil:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:09 am

Fixed...

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 19, 2012 9:10 am

Note the olden days GPS on the dash !!

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:31 am

[quote="RSR 555"]Woohoo.. you're still alive Hylton you old rigpig :) Thought you'd left us but great story but next time buy the goddamn Forester :p

It was on the list but lost out as was not large enough to accommodate the scooter and bunk plus computer work station and all the other crap I require if travelling any distance as I have to pull over and rest for an hour or so, as I run out of steam (yeah I know still living in the age of George Stephenson)
and the same thing happens when eating or talking alot :(

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:39 am

1111giles wrote:Hey fella !
Looks like you are well sorted to travel now (thinks we'll forgive you the Mitz ehehe)
Good to see you are doing whats good for YOU !

Now tell me about the girls up at the cross ?? !!! hehehe:rolleyes:
Well the "Cross (The correct name is Kings Cross) is an area of Sydney that was well known in the past for it's various forms of night life and entertainment which you could sample if you had the money and yes back in the rigpig days I had the money eheheh.;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 19, 2012 12:22 pm

olddog642 wrote:Well the "Cross (The correct name is Kings Cross) is an area of Sydney that was well known in the past for it's various forms of night life and entertainment which you could sample if you had the money and yes back in the rigpig days I had the money eheheh.;)
I don't know what you're talking about "the past" for - I thought it was still the same today, just less street violence/gangs etc. There was a shooting there recently if I recall...

Olddog, good to see you're still making the most of it! Although I wish there was more that we could do to help your condition - any research being done into it or is this an injury caused condition?

Take care,

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I don't know what you're talking about "the past" for - I thought it was still the same today, just less street violence/gangs etc. There was a shooting there recently if I recall...

Well in the days of yore it was fairly safe up there as the place was run by only a couple of Families but now there are so many more factions to contend with.

Olddog, good to see you're still making the most of it! Although I wish there was more that we could do to help your condition - any research being done into it or is this an injury caused condition?

Take care,

Bennie
Thanks Bennie, Jonno, Giles, Paul and all the rest for your thoughts and comments eheheh.

Paul I'll send you a personally signed Mitsi autograph.:-P

Yes they can do things like lung and heart transplants and re-attach tendons etc but the spine is another kettle of fish.
No anaesthetic no operation so I just carry on and rest after I have to. One of the problems when what I call a big tired comes over me I have to lay down with in a short time or I fall down eyes closed but the mind is wide awake.(yeah bloody weird).
Born with a lung problem but worked my way through it and got super fit but once the other injuries slowed me down then the rest caught up with me.
Anyhow I just carry on ding what I can and trying to do more but it is bloody frustrating most times.
:confused:
Hylton

Ps Thank you Paul for loading that first lot of pics into the post.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

olddog642 wrote:Thanks Bennie, Jonno, Giles, Paul and all the rest for your thoughts and comments eheheh.

Paul I'll send you a personally signed Mitsi autograph.:-P

Yes they can do things like lung and heart transplants and re-attach tendons etc but the spine is another kettle of fish.
No anaesthetic no operation so I just carry on and rest after I have to. One of the problems when what I call a big tired comes over me I have to lay down with in a short time or I fall down eyes closed but the mind is wide awake.(yeah bloody weird).
Born with a lung problem but worked my way through it and got super fit but once the other injuries slowed me down then the rest caught up with me.
Anyhow I just carry on ding what I can and trying to do more but it is bloody frustrating most times.
:confused:
Hylton

Ps Thank you Paul for loading that first lot of pics into the post.
I have to admire your tenacity to keep getting out and about mate, Congratulations!
Peter

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Subyroo wrote:I have to admire your tenacity to keep getting out and about mate, Congratulations!
Thanks Peter,
I'm about but just not to sure about the out bit eheheheh:twisted:

Return to “Open Slather”