Leaking fridge >:(

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Leaking fridge >:(

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:50 pm

G'day,

I'm looking for help with our fridge - Whirlpool WBM35MW. Since "coming out of storage" and moving home it's been leaking in the refrigerator compartment from the freezer above through a cold air vent above the door.

I've tried doing google searches but keep getting directed towards a site called "FixYa" - I've put in a question but impatience can't wait.

Currently the fridge has been thawing out (it's great having an engel on hand!) in the hope of de-icing the drain plug - this seems to be a common issue with many fridges. I'm not certain that will stop the issue.

We've had this once before and it was a simple search online and it was sorted. Not so this time :(

It also leans back more than I think it should, but there's no adjuster feet at the rear to counteract. The floor in the house doesn't help either :???: I'm thinking of running the rear up on a board to make it lean forward so it's upright as it should be.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, we're sick of getting a shower just about every time we open the door to get something from the fridge!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

tambox

Post by tambox » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Bennie
Make sure the fridge is sitting level, the door is lined up and seals properly. A door sealing problem makes the fridge work harder and more ice. Level can upset the draining system.
Then as you said defrost the drain pipe, but check its flow as its common for "stuff" to get stuck in it and restrict/block it.
If it has a mechanical de-icer, check that it works.
Have fun.
Greg

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Doors line up and seal properly. The freezer has always been clean, unless there's been some mould build up between moves/while in storage.

I can't find the drain hole, the only two holes I can find are to the refrigeration compartment and an air duct that the fan works with. I don't want to shove anything up from below incase I damage the pipe, plus I don't have anything to do that job with anyway.

I'll work on getting the fridge level ;)

Cheers

Bennie

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Some fridges with a fan system have a timer to let it do a de-ice cycle. I do not know enough about your model fridge.
See if you can find out if does or not, as these often fail/lock up.

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Just had a brief look on the internet, they list a heater to defrost it.
If that is correct, it will have two main parts, the element and the timer.
Either can fail.
The drain hoses should run to a plastic cup/cap on top of the compressor, to evaporate the defrost water.
Dont poke anything in the hose, blow through it from the outelt end. ( you may need to join a little bit of hose onto it to make it long enough to blow, although a lot unclip to make this possible)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks Tambox. Have you got any links to the info you found?

We thought we had it sorted but it started leaking again after two days. Very frustrating!

I'll try that trick of the hose, hopefully I'll find one here that's a good fit to do the blow though trick. I'm not sold on it being a defrost issue, if it didn't defrost we wouldn't be getting the water in the fridge as it would all be frozen!

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Try this ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:34 am

Clear the drain ...

See if that fixes it ... :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 am

Bennie a very old school trick is to get a 5 dollar bill and close it in various place around the fridge seal. if you can pull the note out with no resistance at any point around the seal, you have found your leak in the seal :)

To defrost a fridge ... get everything out and store in a cool spot (esky another fridge) take it out into the back yard and let it still for a while (about 15 -20 minutes)... get the garden hose and using a gentle spray wash the freezer out with low pressure. do the same with the fridge compartment.

Yes I know that this is not meant to be done but neither is using a sharp object to remove ice from a freezer (still the most common way of killing a fridge)

I believe the drain that runs to the aerator on the top of the condenser is blocked.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:11 am

Sweet, a few more leads/ideas. Problem now is that Mrs El Freddo has filled the freezer again - so the engel is a freezer full of stuff from the fridge's freezer and now that's full too...

The leak isn't as bad as it was previously, which I think it sort of interesting.

Batum, that link takes me to that site that has questions that don't directly relate to my issue or the model of fridge we've got :(

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Fridge model ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Ok - What fridge do you have ?

Check here ...

Once you have it, put this code into the system and see what come's up ... :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:04 pm

El_Freddo wrote: Whirlpool WBM35MW.
Bantum wrote:Ok - What fridge do you have
;)

I've put the code into the system but I haven't found much :(

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Ok, so might have to check out that barcode thing and see how it goes. I can't do much with it at the moment as I've put my back out again - even worse than when I first did it 6 months ago. Got a scan this time and hopefully something will come of this to resolve the issue once and for all!

Cheers

Bennie

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:36 pm

How long did you allow the fridge to cool down the compartments before stocking it with food?
Are you sure the fluid is coming from the freezer?
Sound like humidity condensing on the plate and welling in the bottom of the fridge.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:30 pm

M0rpH wrote:How long did you allow the fridge to cool down the compartments before stocking it with food?
Are you sure the fluid is coming from the freezer?
Sound like humidity condensing on the plate and welling in the bottom of the fridge.
The freezer cooled down over two days before we put anything in it.

Yes, the fluid is definitely coming from the freezer.

It doesn't well in the bottom of the fridge, it drips from the vent above the door to the bottom of the fridge...

When my back gets better I'll be having a go at it.

Cheers

Bennie

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Bennie is the freezer completely full? I had a similar problem for a while. Turned the fridge off and defrosted it, now only keep it 2/3 full and it's good as gold. Apparently if there's no room for air to circulate, the defrost drain will ice up and cause internal dribbles.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 pm

GOD wrote:Bennie is the freezer completely full? I had a similar problem for a while. Turned the fridge off and defrosted it, now only keep it 2/3 full and it's good as gold. Apparently if there's no room for air to circulate, the defrost drain will ice up and cause internal dribbles.
Nah not at the moment. We've had this problem before, I sorted it, can't remember how I did it last time but it could also be much worse this time! When I sorted it last time we had it full to the gills so to speak without any issues - there's ducting all over this freezer which I think helps it out heaps when it's draining properly.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Update: Well, I've resolved the issue for now... with a bucket - a 2L icecream container. I simply don't have room to put all our cold stuff while I defrost the fridge/freezer to sort this issue out properly :???:

I got sick of removing towels when they were wet, plus the water that splashed the door and each shelf before it ended up on the bottom level drove me nuts. I just happened to finish a tub of ice cream and had a brain wave moment :D

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

I know its nothing to relate to you - Had a problem with ours too but opposite yours (fridge top freezer bottom)- turns out to be blocked tube and the tube would freeze up in freezer compartment causing overflow back in the fridge. What I did was i got air hose from compressor and nozzle in drain hole while it was thawed out and unblocked it - turns out to be something that got stuck in there!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:06 am

I fixed my fridge that had been freezing stuff all over the shop, top shelf, bottom shelf, in the door shelves - and the tip came from a fridge sales guy when I was on the hunt for new 'fridge.

Empty the whole thing out, switch off and leave for 24hours as it may have a gas freeze somewhere, the time allows for it to get to room temp, any gas freeze sort itslef out. Been good for last six weeks or so now :D

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Clean or replace door seals can also help reduce icing
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Open Slather”