Dihatsu SCAT info for the diesel

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Dihatsu SCAT info for the diesel

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:40 pm

G'day,

I know it's not a subaru, but we're (when I say we, I mean Dad) currently working on a diesel dihatsu scat and need a workshop manual or info on the diesel engine specifically.

Dad's only found a UK forum but they're not very useful on the info as they seem to get all their work done...

Any help appreciated, Toonga, I'm hoping you might have some access to a workshop manual online somewhere...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

this is the only Daihatsu stuff I've ever found Bennie.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Daihatsu/

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Pictures!!

We used to have a farm ute Daihatsu Rocky that was somehow roadable! Went up and over and around everything!

The Scat = the Taft does it not? Scat is such a dreadful name. Hehe

I'll keep an eye out for info while I travel the interwebs.
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Not many of them around in the best of times, I guess that makes them a real enthusiast vehicle. You two might have to run your own little Scat forum hidden here in Open Slather :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 am

A lot of the old Daihatsu 4WDs were Toyota based, so best to try and find a manual on the engine itself. What year/model Scat is it? Being a Diesel, it should be something like F50/F55 or F60/F65
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm

so what was the Blizzard ??

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Toyota version.. like Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86, Toyota Corolla and Holden Nova, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Astra, Toyota Camry and Holden Apollo, etc..

The Scat (and Blizzard) body was built by Daihatsu but the running gear was Toyota
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:50 pm

I can't help, but I'll add some photos of my own.

My patrol towing d3v1l Daves scat.

Yes it was tippy, it was way too tall and way too short wheel base to be any good.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Post by 60766244 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Alex wrote:Image
Oh my, that's amazing.
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 pm

TOONGA wrote:this is the only Daihatsu stuff I've ever found Bennie.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Daihatsu/
Thanks Jules - I think that's exactly what we were after. The engine is slightly different but this only seems to be in the governor - the rest of the main parts of the engine are the same from what I've seen of it. Dad's pretty excited about this information. Huge thanks from him to you ;)
60766244 wrote:Pictures!!
When I'm near it again. And it's in "a few pieces" :p You'll see!
60766244 wrote:The Scat = the Taft does it not? Scat is such a dreadful name. Hehe
Correct. The taft sounds softer than a scat to me, but then again, that was for the UK market :rolleyes:

Dad doesn't like the name scat though, he always calls it a daihatsu (picked up on the spelling, thanks again Jules!)
RSR 555 wrote:A lot of the old Daihatsu 4WDs were Toyota based, so best to try and find a manual on the engine itself. What year/model Scat is it? Being a Diesel, it should be something like F50/F55 or F60/F65
Dunno the year. Model? Well, tray back?? I think all of them were toyota based, even the petrol models run the common 4 cylinder toyota engine of the time - same as what the corona ran with.

The real problem with the Scat's is their amazing ability to rust out just about all over the body at the same time as everywhere else on the body! Which is an issue as this unit will be headed for the snow for over-snow operations when it's too thin or patchy to run the skidoos. Being that it's a diesel and it's light fits all of their criteria - just that finding them in reasonable condition at the right price is the real issue.

Cheers

Bennie

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Alex wrote: Yes it was tippy, it was way too tall and way too short wheel base to be any good.

What size engine is in it? Judging by the size of it, it doesn't look like it would turn those wheels :p (33"s? 35"s?)

Mad looking little thing anyway
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:What size engine is in it? Judging by the size of it, it doesn't look like it would turn those wheels :p (33"s? 35"s?)

Mad looking little thing anyway
It had some other 4 cylinder in it or a very small 6 I can't remember. They are 37inch centipedes.

It was a project and unfortunately never really took off before dave sold it. It had some potential but was pretty unimpressive.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Alex wrote:It was a project and unfortunately never really took off before dave sold it. It had some potential but was pretty unimpressive.
That doesn't sound like something Devil Dave would do :twisted:

And for the size of the wheels there looks to be very little articulation - key to something like that being any good!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:47 am

Alex wrote:It had some other 4 cylinder in it or a very small 6 I can't remember
1.6 Ltr 4 cylinder petrol = 12R

or the 4 cyl Diesel..

2.5 Ltr = DG or 2.8 Ltr = DL
Alex wrote:It was a project and unfortunately never really took off before dave sold it. It had some potential but was pretty unimpressive.
El_Freddo wrote:That doesn't sound like something Devil Dave would do
I had exactly the same thoughts

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

these little things were very capable offroad. they were stable enough, unless of course you lift them stupidly high. the ride was awful though. I always wanted to put pajero suspension seats in this one:

brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 am

60766244 wrote:Pictures!!
I know it's been a while but here you go, it's in bits with "a little bit" of rust:

Above front windscreen:

Above rear windscreen:

The chassis is rusty but still serviceable. Gearbox leaks like a sieve but again it's serviceable like the rest of the drive train. We're looking for a 5 speed gearbox from a rocky to add to it.

Paul (RSR555), I told you it was rusty, I think this one wins out!

It's lucky my brother has a good Father, otherwise he'd be stuck trying to get the one above sorted before the start of the snow season - it's a long story! But Dad found this little ripper not far from home for a good price too. It needed some TLC and an engine swap from the kellogs one above but it's near passing it's RWC now!

After my big trip west I came home to find it with a new lick of paint (Dulux house paint!) and a much better interior:

The new clear/amber lights as the old ones in good condition are rarer than rocking horse crap and hen's teeth put together!

^ Thank you fleabay!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 11, 2013 1:07 am

I'm digging this colour! It'll probably be matt black this time next year if my brother pulls his finger out and does what he wants with it!

The "new interior" that dad sorted out - very posh!

I'm loving the door handles:

And I think Ruby Scoo could do with a set of side rails - just for shtis and giggles:

Still loving that colour. It'll probably all fall off by the end of the season, but it looks for now!

The main thing to get sorted is a 5 speed box, the 4 speed in this one also has a tendency to want to drop oil... we'll see how that goes.

So, thats "our" scats - or daihastu's as Dad calls them - "what a shit name for a car" as he says, we find it funny when he rants on like that :P

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 am

Love the wood grain dash and door cards :) gives it that classy look

Corn Flake was a little rusty and yes it wins but you have to remember the scat has a chassis and the MY is monocoque design and there isn't much left to the old girl. BTW, that yellow POS is still sitting where Tristan towed it !! I hope you had fun while it lasted ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 14, 2013 8:26 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Love the wood grain dash and door cards :) gives it that classy look
Yeah it does! Pretty funny since this stuff was in the old house for about 30 years, it's probably all as old as each other!
RSR 555 wrote:Corn Flake was a little rusty and yes it wins but you have to remember the scat has a chassis and the MY is monocoque design
Yeah true, but this still wouldn't pass a road worthy - you'd have to fix it all up first! Which might be done yet...

Anyone (Steptoe) spot the internal door lock lever?

I got a message from my brother today, she's all rego'd and ready to go. He's pretty stoked I reckon :D I know I am - and he's got Dad's keen eyes to thank for this beauty!

Since starting to look for Rocky's for a gearbox I've spotted three that live in/around Shepp - but I don't think I'll be getting anything from any of those...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Anyone (Steptoe) spot the internal door lock lever?
To answer this question that I thought someone would pick up on - they're an L series unit! Dad "stole" them from one of my parts bombs!

Here's my latest pic of the SCAT when we were up at Hotham, new boots and up front a new set of flexi flares that Dad had just installed:

Looks awesome - they've had offers on this already!

It's fitted the bill very well as one of their over-snow vehicles and is quite a stand out machine. The next addition will be company stickers on the doors from what I've heard - they didn't get them on before the start of the season.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Open Slather”