Shed arrangements/organisation. Show us your best and worst

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 am

Well, I can only look on with envy.
I have a 6 x 6m shed that is about 6 years old, professionally built and I can only just get into the door.
I mean, I can only get in about 3 metres and thats it.
If I want to go any further I have to climb over stuff.
The poor MY sits outside under a car cover (a good quality one though)
I think a smaller space is easier to keep clean.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 am

mmm. minimalist was my theory too :( . I am sure if I had more shed space I'd have more crap (all very useful of course)
In trying to keep some sort of order of small stuff I use Aussie made Starmaid 1 litre lunch boxes @ about 3 for $2.50 - got a heap at a 50% off sale. Have about three empties and 70 full of stuff. Then the bigger 15 or so litre clear plastic boxes made somewhere in Victoria. Keeps their filth inside or outside filth out, keeps things together, easy to see trough the clear plastic!.

Shees, don't even think of moving !

Post by 60766244 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 pm

I think this is the right thread to put it, as well, this thread inspired the line of thought, as well as the GJ site linked here too.

I have a question:

If you could have the "Ultimate" shed - how would you have it?

On a practical level. Think of it for your block, or where you eventually want to live or how you eventually want to work in it. Push the idea of $$ imposed impossibilities and let that imagination flow... :D

Maybe we can all divine some inspiration and ideas.

I know some of you here have mad skills drawing/drafting and some can do 3D modelling (Google Sketchup) so I'd like to see your ideas.

I'll post my idea up tomorrow once I've done the finishing touches. :)

Edit: P.S. I hope you don't consider this a thread hijacking T.Farm.Brumby. ;)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 am

a pit and a hoist for starters. Haven't used a pit since my L Sedan was waiting to be sold new but gees always wanted access to one since - no creaking hoists for starters :D , hoist legs to bang head on but they were a little dusty sweeping up the kitty litter :(

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Oh man, dream sheds? Where do you even start with that? :rolleyes: I guess imposing cost and viability limits on it makes it a bit easier hehe.

I would have at least a double garage with roller doors, ideally with a large space in front of the cars for the rest of my shed/workshop. In the workshop I would have a section with benches and storage dedicated to automotive work and repair with things like spanners, sockets, compressor, air tools etc. Part of this would be a large storage rack with big organized tubs for spare parts and bits.
The bench would follow a wall around the back of my "shed" to the other side which would be my mini engineering workshop. So stuff like my welder (with a special metal top flat welding bench for fab work) Drawers and toolboxes full of measuring and metal cutting tools, misc engineering tools. Then at the end of this bench I would have a decent sized lathe with shelving for associated metal stock and turning tools. Also a large pin board or whiteboard for sketching up ideas and notes.

Somewhere in there would be 2 big speakers and a stereo system, fridge and sink :) And of course ample power sockets and lighting. Maybe I'll have to re-install and re-learn sketchup and draw this out...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm

3 bay shed, all with roller doors. Swept concrete floors. Good lighting, multiple switches all in 1 spot. 1 side bay w/ hoist, 1 side bay w/ pit. Middle bay is straight floor with plenty of room all around. Rails along the roof with a hoist attached for full mobility around the room. Bigass compressor, lines run along the roof with a line/end down each corner and 1 in the middle, with a full set of air tools. Full complement of tools in proper custom made benches (like larger versions of Jay-Jay's showthread.php?t=23308). Fridge, sink in the middle front and back, good sound system. Car port/shed similar to what I already have at our place, plenty of room for cars.

Will have eventually :D
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Okay... This should be post 1/3 in regards to sketchup photos. I built the floorplan, just building an inside then the shed itself.

It's a large shed, but I have unlimited space really, I have 150 acres, so, anything goes... It might just be a pad for a while until i can build walls, but, hey, build it once right? ;)

I'll give some more pictures when I draw them up some more.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm

60766244 wrote: It's a large shed, but I have unlimited space really, I have 150 acres, so, anything goes... It might just be a pad for a while until i can build walls, but, hey, build it once right? ;)
You dont have to do it all at once. You can go modular...best to do the slab in one hit but then carport 1st. Then garage, 2 wide 2 deep. Then your other rooms. All as $$ allow :D

Another thought...I would have your paint assembly right away from any grinding area. You'll go crazy with dust getting in your nice paint job, even if you have a dust extraction system :(

My dream house would also have the path from your carport to house covered & lined with treeferns etc. Beautiful plus keeps house cool in summer & warm in winter :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 pm

2/3...

Slapped together some shelves, benches and added a 2 post hoist I pulled of Sketchup Warehouse.

Almost finished on the skin...

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 pm

NachaLuva wrote:You dont have to do it all at once. You can go modular...best to do the slab in one hit but then carport 1st. Then garage, 2 wide 2 deep. Then your other rooms. All as $$ allow :D

Another thought...I would have your paint assembly right away from any grinding area. You'll go crazy with dust getting in your nice paint job, even if you have a dust extraction system :(

My dream house would also have the path from your carport to house covered & lined with treeferns etc. Beautiful plus keeps house cool in summer & warm in winter :)
I'm thinking of adding a second set of doors to those smaller rooms so they can be accessed from where they are now, or through the center. Or putting the painting room at the end also. Depends on how it feels when I build it. Might even make the doors sliding.

As for the modular idea that's straight on! Pour all the concrete then build what I can when I can... I have all of the tin required (picked up 1000 square meters of it for free last year) so it's the concrete then the frame that will cost $$...

The externals: (computers buffering is suffering as I add more detail, colours and model gets bigger, also watching a movie. :rolleyes:

Still to stick in windows/skylights but that gives a good look.

Anyone else drawing yet or still going with the concepts? ;)

tony

Post by tony » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 am

I have a two storey 8x6 shed, with 9 foot ceilings as I had a caravan when I built the shed so needed head room for that.
now I have a rail running full length and a 1 tonne girder trolley which runs from front to rear so I can lift stuff off at the front of the garage and roll it to the rear over the top of any cars I have in there that can't be moved (which happens often) such as when pulling a motor I can reverse in leaving room at the rear lift a motor out than wheel it over the top of the car to the rear to work on it.
wouldn't mind a pit though.

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 am

+1 to the painting room, forgot about that. I'd have a full length full width booth with ventilation.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 am

Designs look mad as always by the way :D
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:+1 to the painting room, forgot about that. I'd have a full length full width booth with ventilation.
Full size might be overkill for me I think. This will mostly be used for stains on furniture, knives and the like.
Only once in a very blue moon I'll paint something car size, and in a shed that big, there's enough room to put up a massive spray tent if need be.

I also solved the spray room problem:

Swapped sides, and changed door configs. :)

In the middle of drawing up a few things.
An I-Beam dolly crane that would span the full 14x8 - four car space workshop, and a smaller crane for the assembly section of the shop.
Also building an external lean-to for firewood, a compressor, the gen-set with tank for it, the vent/fan system for the grinding room and for the paint room.

Fun!

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 am

60766244 wrote:Full size might be overkill for me I think. This will mostly be used for stains on furniture, knives and the like.
A room for your knives? :shock:
I also solved the spray room problem:
Swapped sides, and changed door configs. :)
Yeah good idea ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Post by 60766244 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:38 pm

NachaLuva wrote:A room for your knives? :shock:
Haha

I do have a large collection of military and general purpose knives, my preference is for Kukris or Chuppis from Nepal. I also import them for others as well.
But, I make custom kitchen knife sets too - after HATING every set I saw under $500 I decided to make my own. So I need a room for varnishing of handles and use of glues/polyurethanes. I sell custom sets for decent $$ whenever I get around to making them.

Maybe I should build a display room/safe for the knives, and eventually guns? ;)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Saw this in QBD today, had a chuckle :) Figured it had to go here

'booty calls' ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:57 am

hmm guys you are equipped with latest tools for repairing the car but unfortunately I don't have much space for all this setup in home.. even I park my car outside parking... but guys you have very nice garage setups and I am jealous now..

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 am

Late night "booty" call? hahahaha :lol:
Carlton wrote:but guys you have very nice garage setups and I am jealous now..
haha me too ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Open Slather”