MY replacement front seats

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

MY replacement front seats

Post by Cliff R » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:38 pm

As I understand it there are no straight "bolt in" replacement front seats for the MY/Brumbies.
This being the case I am interested in what seats people have found that required less modification than others types.
Any thoughts ?
I was going to keep the MY touring wagon all original but now that the L series is to be sold I have given up on the "original" path thing (for now anyway).
This and last night I put a foam cussion under me when I sat in the MY and holy crap there is another world out there when I sit up a couple of extra inches. I can actually see over the bonnet. I am not short at just under 6' so the front seats will either be replaced or re apholstered to lift me up.
It will depend on what is the easiest seat to fit and what the mods are to make them fit.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:07 pm

As far as I know, there is a certain model of Ford Laser seat that does bolt straight in. I have fitted gen 1 Liberty seats in a Brumby & it wasn't too hard at all.
To briefly describe it, the inside Brumby rail bolts straight to the Liberty seat after drilling 1 new hole. The outer rail needs to be spaced in as the new seat is too wide.
Google Liberty seats into Brumby, that's how I found the info to help me do it.

Cheers Jake

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 pm

OK, so you use the original Brumby/MY rails, excellent, this means no issues with the existing floor holes.
Hmmmmm.....Ford seats in a Subaru, will take some time to digest this (Holden supporter here)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 am

KC KB? Laser seats think it was, just needed a rat tail file to elongate a hole.
My recent thoughts on making seats fit is need to make bracketry you bolt to the existing threaded holes as one full bracket that you then drop donor seat onto and bolt it to bracket without any mods - bloody fiddly, but would result in a not bodgy look or feel installation. Seen Foz seats in a Brumby, tested them for 6'2" and headroom fine, just thought gloss black not the best for hiding the welding required to secure them - matte black better - not so obvious.

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:07 am

This is what i did

showthread.php?t=17145
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am

I find using any set of Liberty (BC/BC, BD/BG) and Impreza (GC/GF) seats that don't have height control on them.

1) Remove the new seat rails and toss them away.
2) Fit/bolt a piece of 50x6mm (thick enough to tap the new threads in to) flat bar down either side of the seat. You need to measure the MY rail width to make sure you get the position of the flat bar in the right place.
3) Fit/bolt the MY rails to the flat bar.
4) Fit the new seats in the car :)

Now from memory, Dane (GOD) did it another way that looked quite good also.. have a search for 'fitting seats'
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Don't bother with L series seats; they're a pain to get them to work and they're not much of an upgrade from the uncomfortable originals...ask me how I know :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the info.
I am very keen not to have to drill anything different in the floor of the car so maybe the Laser seats could be an option.
I will also investigate the re apholstering option as mine are the original touring wagon seat with the lumbar support so weighing up the cost of new seats vs reapholstering will need to be investigated.
Oh well, I will continue to site on my cushion to raise myself up and enjoy the view over the bonnet for the time being.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:02 pm

The way I do it doesn't change the position of the MY raills. The MY or works the same in the L (ask Matt aka 95Liberty) to show you how I do it. IMO this is the easiest way and a lot less work than changing the cushion. The RS Liberty seats come with lumber support and not height control.. these are the best seats to use IMO.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 am

Cliff, if they are grey touring wagon seats don't throw them away as I would like them if you don't require them anymore...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm

555Ron
They are brown and due to being a horder I cant see myself getting rid of them.
Sorry about that

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 pm

MX5 seats were used by an (ex?) member on here, and gave a bit more space to tilt back from the factory standard. Not sure which model, I'm guessing the early MX5.

And I have also heard Mazda 929 seats, but these would be tough to find.

Not sure on what required to make them fit though.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:44 am

Once spied MX5 seats and got the light bulb on icon in my head, was a heap of container MX5 bits and the guy reckoned a pair of seats were hard to come by less than $500!

Think 929 seats 'd be hard as 626 seats to make fit

Gazza01

Brumby seats

Post by Gazza01 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:23 am

Cliff R wrote:As I understand it there are no straight "bolt in" replacement front seats for the MY/Brumbies.
This being the case I am interested in what seats people have found that required less modification than others types.
Any thoughts ?
I was going to keep the MY touring wagon all original but now that the L series is to be sold I have given up on the "original" path thing (for now anyway).
This and last night I put a foam cussion under me when I sat in the MY and holy crap there is another world out there when I sit up a couple of extra inches. I can actually see over the bonnet. I am not short at just under 6' so the front seats will either be replaced or re apholstered to lift me up.
It will depend on what is the easiest seat to fit and what the mods are to make them fit.
Mate I had buggered seats in my Brumby, and spend heaps of time in Wrecking yards. I ran across the latest Suzuki Swift and they measured perfect. It was a 09 Model swift. I took off all the mechanicals on the base of the Swift and fitted my Brumby Sliders on the base of the Swift seats. First bolt 10mm hole on Swift up front is in correct position. The first hole on the brumby slide needs drilling to 10mm. U need to drill the rear holes to 10mm and Bobs your uncle. BUT make sure u keep your spacing on the Sliders that same as Brumby. AND don't mix your seats and sliders up or u will start swearing. There is a slight difference in the distance between the front and rear sliders. Take your time and get it right.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Gazza01
Thanks heaps for the info

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Cliff R wrote:As I understand it there are no straight "bolt in" replacement front seats for the MY/Brumbies.
Any thoughts ?
Mate try latest models Suzuki Swift seats . I got a pair and they measure up fine. Two holes on front sliders off Brumby match Suzuki Swift Base, can redrill holes to 10mm or snappy weld . Keep your spacing between rails right measurement and dont mix them up Left & right MUST stay left right or you'll go crazy when u put then in and the holes on front inside slider won't match. Get it right do one chair at a time.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Wed May 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Gazza that is nice work figuring that out.
I did try vortex turbo seats and no job, also 02 outback (lol) but way different.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Return to “Open Slather”