licence/rego - same thing - where's the divide?

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

licence/rego - same thing - where's the divide?

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Just wondering where the divide ocurs for this huge continent to use the word licence for what we east coasters call rego, or registration. Is licence a term used in WA or just by one resident there who came from the east?

I think licence is the term used in New Zealand for the annual payment made to the relevant local gov department and third party insurance to insurance company, what we easterners call rego.

Just wondering how far east rego term is used and where licence starts - SA ?

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 pm

That's a good question, travelling to 3 different states weekly, I notice a lot of different language in regards to ordering takeaway food too. Don't want to hijack your topic though. But being a truckie that's what concerns me each week on the road.:)
Anyway I'm looking forward to some answers on this one. Where do you live & which term do you use to describe rego? Or should that be licence?

Cheers Jake

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:56 pm

the worse is trying to order a pot of beer in different states ;)
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:That's a good question, travelling to 3 different states weekly, I notice a lot of different language in regards to ordering takeaway food too.
I'm intrigued, what differences do you encounter?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

In Vic, we have Souvlaki, in Nsw they're called a Kebab. I order flake at every fish & chip shop down my way & get a piece of deep fried or grilled shark. Yet in Sydney they didn't know what I was talking about. Also I ordered 2 scallops up there & I got potato cakes. Very important topic this:).

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Interesting topic!

Being a New South Welshman me whole life, When renewing my "rego" as we call it I have always gone for a "Pink Slip" (inspection or more so these days an E-inspection). Ever since being involved with automotive forums I've noticed some others from interstate (Even the ACT) refer to it as a RWC - roadworthy.

Then when thats done its off to renew the:

Third Party (Green Slip) Insurance! Grrrrr
What does this = elsewhere?

Then once the "Green Slip" is paid for and validated -

I pay my Rego (Curse the ever spiralling costs)

And my License = (to operate a motor vehicle on a public road with due care and regard for the laws) is fortunately not an annual affair.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 pm

In SA
Licence- This is the thing you pay every 5-10 years, carry in your pocket, has your photo on it.
Rego- Pay it for the car, allows you to drive your car on the road, (also has 3rd party insurance included?)
Insurance- The thing that you pay so that when your car is wrecked you can fix it.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

tambox

Post by tambox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 pm

In Vic they just call Third Party Insurance TPI, so we pay rego and TPI in one payment.
Car yards were advertising cars for sale with "free Rego" , which was a trap for some as it did not include TPI, which is much more.
L serious, still.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm

There's another thing; roadwrothy, pink slip, rego inspection...how many states have this as mandatory? How often is it required? Funny how I can still happily drive around in a car I've swapped the engine in myself and done this and that to without this "rego inspection"...or maybe I do need one and I'm breaking the law :rolleyes:

Yeah here rego is the thing you pay to keep your plates current, license is the card with your photo on it ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Silverbullet wrote:There's another thing; roadwrothy, pink slip, rego inspection...how many states have this as mandatory? How often is it required? Funny how I can still happily drive around in a car I've swapped the engine in myself and done this and that to without this "rego inspection"...or maybe I do need one and I'm breaking the law :rolleyes:

Yeah here rego is the thing you pay to keep your plates current, license is the card with your photo on it ;)
If the cops pull you up your gone. Engine number no longer matches the VIN, in SA this is against the law.
Just go to service SA and fill in a form i think, no regency. All good until you put in an engine that is bigger than what is allowed over the original.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 pm

HA! well then the old wagon has been breaking the law for a good 10 years :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Up in Qld;
License is what I pay every now and then, photo ID and all that jazz that, lets me drive legally
Rego is what I pay 6 monthly or yearly which keeps the car on the road, comes with compulsory 3rd party insurance (CTP)
Insurance is what you pay if you think your car is worth more than what damage you think you'll be able to do to it, and/or if you don't do all your own shizzle like most of the people on here.

Roadworthy/safety certificate is always required up here when changing registration from 1 person to another, hence my efforts with Roxy, no need for it once the car's already registered though, until you get pulled over/defected.

Dunno what the go is with the engine mod stuff. Usually you need a mod plate (usually blue and somewhere in the engine bay)/engineers certificate up here if you do anything extensive or anything that compromises the cars safety, structure or if it alters performance too much I think.

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:21 pm

In the NT:

Licence = shows your old enough to drive ( but doesn't necessarily mean that you can )
Rego = keeps the boys in blue happy, includes 3rd party ( have seen plenty without it )
Insurance = lucky if you still have it ( + only if you really care )

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am

yeah, sorry, FujiFan Jay has elaborated more on what I should have , licence to drive etc and RSR's term of licence meaning what we easterners at least understand annual rego fees for the cars' plates to remain current - everyone got what I meant :)

NSW uses the colour terms from the colour the sheet issued is printed on pre e-safety inspections. An initial rego is a blue slip (now e-AUVIS,unless blackout or glitch occurs), or if you get a defect, lapse rego by more than 90 days, pink is the annual inspection term. The colours are only issued if it passes - the fail slip is white. I've kept the tradition going with e-slips with pink and blue paper and would print fails on white but bloody helps "how can I help you" s when someone turns up with pink or blue paper in their hands - they are back for reinspection

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am

In WA the term 'Rego' is used by many but the WA licence centre list is a 'Licence'

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/566.asp

Registration is for things like boats, off road vehicles, etc.. so authorities can keep track on owners if they are involved in an incident
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 am

What's the difference between a Scallop and a Potato Cake?

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:58 am

No more rego stickers in NSW :(

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 am

thunder039 wrote:the worse is trying to order a pot of beer in different states ;)
I think you'd have a problem buying a "pot of beer" in any state.. unless you're in the state of incoherent... maybe like after many pints of beer :D
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 am

cerebro wrote:What's the difference between a Scallop and a Potato Cake?
None that I know of. I've always known it as a Potato scallop :p

Different places call everything by different names. I'm from the country originally and I call a dagwood dog a 'snifter'
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 am

cerebro wrote:What's the difference between a Scallop and a Potato Cake?
Down my way, if you ask for a scallop, you get a seafood thingy that is round, dark orange in the middle & white around the outside.
Potato cakes are called that & nothing else.

Return to “Open Slather”