Dremel - a disappointment

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Silverbullet

Dremel - a disappointment

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 pm

And there goes my new Dremel :( Didn't even last 3 months before it crapped out today. It was working fine last time I used it and today, switched it to full speed and it's working at about the lowest speed, like it's jammed up and emitting a horrible hot electrical smell and getting warm quick. Spinning the shaft by hand there's resistance which I'm sure shouldn't be there. Take the brushes out and it spins freely. Brushes are in good nick. Warranty? Forget it, I already cut the magic sticker to get the thing open. Had a look inside and the red insulating stuff around the wires coming from the commutator has a big arc burn hole through it, and is cracked all the way around. Same story at the front.

That's the last time I buy anything from Dremel. With their stuff being so overpriced and over marketed, they've forgotten how to make anything that lasts. Not an uncommon story but for now I think I'll just swap over to air tools from now on.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Bad luck with the Dremel
I got a air powered one it's about as thick as your Mr Pointer finger:) got a dozen bits with it. Also found a complete case with 150 or so different bits at Bunnings i love it Great for all that hard to get at jobs

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 am

I have learnt with owning 3 Dremels now a few things:

Buy A/C powered, and don't push too hard, let the tool do the work, remember it is small.
Regards

Gary ;)

Post by 60766244 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 pm

littlewhiteute wrote:Buy A/C powered, and don't push too hard, let the tool do the work, remember it is small.
This +1

You can only work at the pace of the tool. It's a very low torque device. I lubricate mine with Neways Roil (like 1 drop in a blue moon) and I've had mine for a long time, used it until it's too hot to hold and it's pulled fine. Mine is a dremel 4000.

Also, what Dremel was it? Just out of curiosity.

I'm surprised you never went to the die-grinder stage with all the good hard work you put into the tool. I know if I had the mulla I would buy a nice Makita die-grinder and have an air powered one too.

Will be interested to know what you replace it with.

Regards,
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm

I guess I must have pushed it too hard, I wasn't even pushing that hard but that could be relative :)

I think my only option for the work I need to do is air powered. Only thing holding me back there is a decent compressor, we've only got a small volume cheapie. Space is always restricted with us too but I do like the look of some of the upright tank models. You can get "pencil" die grinders for about $50 and they spin fast alright, but are quite low torque too. I was thinking of getting one of those and also a bigger 6mm collet die grinder for the tougher jobs. Whatever happens I definitely need a small grinding tool, sometimes you just need to get into those tiny spaces.

Oh as for model No. on the Dremel I'm pretty sure it was a 3000, sells for $98 or something from Bunglings.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon May 13, 2013 6:40 pm

dremels are for hobby enthusiasts who only use them a couple of hours a weekend :)
(sorry)

I only use mine to polish jewellery

a cheapo die grinder kit like this would probably last for the repairs you are doing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-Pcs-Pneum ... 4841f35121

Even if you only have a small compressor use a 3/4 inch hose and the big fittings to get the maximum air volume while you have it.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:34 am

Dremel was always known as good quality and made to last.. I guess times have changed and they are going to china to have them made these days :(

My good friend has had a Dremel since we were in high school (not enough fingers and toes to tell you how long ago that was... ) and he still uses his one today.

What were you trying to do with it Sam?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Dremel was always known as good quality and made to last.. I guess times have changed and they are going to china to have them made these days :(
It's the same story with many, many things unfortunately...most things actually. But I haven't looked to make sure Dremel are made in China these days, wouldn't be surprised with the amount of plastic involved. Some guys I know who are old enough to remember the first Dremels say they used to be all metal, imagine that! Would last a life time like they were made to. Now it's all planned obsolescence.

What was I doing with it? Using a small grinding stone to grind back some welds on the car. Before that I was using the small carbide burrs to carve back most of the weld metal. Perhaps I pushed a little too hard a little too often.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Silverbullet wrote:It's the same story with many, many things unfortunately...most things actually. But I haven't looked to make sure Dremel are made in China these days, wouldn't be surprised with the amount of plastic involved. Some guys I know who are old enough to remember the first Dremels say they used to be all metal, imagine that! Would last a life time like they were made to.
I've used Grandpa's old drill that's all metal. It's awesome - and clearly built to last or built to be rebuilt or fixed if/when needed.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Open Slather”