3rd party compulsory insurance

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

3rd party compulsory insurance

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:39 am

Armed with Death certificates and Wills/Power of attorney I finally transferred Mum and Dads car into my name yesterday.
Poor woman and the RTA/RMS was apologetic as the computer told her to charge me $2 but anyway after this I went off to the NRMA for a compulsory green slip. As everything we have insured is with the NRMA I thought this would be a simple process of getting the slip and off I go.
Not on your Nellie was it !
Now we are talking about a 1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara with 67,440 original ks and is in immaculate condition. No longer do NRMA give a discount if you have other items insured with them, if a car is over 10 years old you have to pay the full price.
My quote was $601.00 :confused::(
After I picked myself up off the floor it was discretely suggested I should go to GIO which is next door for a quote.
Much better, $444.00 only :D:grin:
Went back to NRMA giving my thanks for the suggestion and assistance which was gratefully accepted.
Moral of the story is don't go for the first 3rd party quote. For me, this was the first time I have shopped around for this and it certainly wont be the last.

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Thats for third paty only???
Young bloke are you??
We pay around $220 for third party only and teenagers/young drivers pay an extra $200 for the same cover.
Shopping around for insurance is the only way to go, but read the fine print as some of the cheaper ones have exclusions.
Whener you get a renewal, call the company and discuss it as the renwals on ANY/ALL insurance are usually computer generated and can be reduced with a phone call.
Done this on many occasions, saved lots.
Tried to do deals on multi cars, no luck there, unless through a business.
L serious, still.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Yep, young bloke (well at almost 51 years old that's what I tell myself anyway )
As the cars rego is due in less than a week and I had no time apart from last Friday to sort this out I went with what I could dig up in a hurry at a better price than what I started with (the $600 buck thing)
Will be taking more time next year for the Zook and the MY wagon.
In the mean time the wife's KIA will be better sorted as it is 13 years old so will cop the same issue but she can do a bit of the chasing around for this one.

sublime

Post by sublime » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:13 pm

No need to run around for CTP quotes, just go here:

http://www.greenslips.com.au/green-slip ... rison.html

This site will compare all CTP providers so no need to do this yourself.

In my experience there are one or two companies that are cheapest year after year for cars over 10 years old. Some, like you have experienced, are just a rip off...

It is a bit of a rort that insurance companies are allowed to charge more just because the car is older...
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Sorry, the Vic/NSW difference, I just read third party, not compulsary third party.
As its part of the rego in Vic, no choice.
In NSW what do you call third party property insurance?
L serious, still.

Post by 60766244 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Not sure on all these law variations state to state but my Brumby has 3rd party w/ fire & theft cover upto $6 grand for $330 a year with the commbank.

I'm 21. :)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

sublime

Post by sublime » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:27 am

tambox wrote:Sorry, the Vic/NSW difference, I just read third party, not compulsary third party.
As its part of the rego in Vic, no choice.
In NSW what do you call third party property insurance?
It is still called third party property insurance... Whereas the third party 'personal' insurance part of NSW rego is called CTP or Compulsory Third Party Insurance...

I remember when it was introduced, rego costs dropped for the first couple of years but these days CTP practically increases every year! :-x And you are unfairly penalised for having a car older than 10 years...
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 am

should be called compulsory third party human injury insurance coz that is all it is. NSW call it a green slip. Has nothing to do with property damage insurance which is still an optional thing,

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for the web site info, I will have a look at the KIA costs when I get a chance.
Currently toying with the idea of putting the MY up on ramps and putting some grease into the CV's as they are a bit noisy. Wouldn't be surprised if they are still the originals.
Mind you, it is really inside weather today.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:33 pm

with shannons i get multi policy discounts and you can list cars that are restoration projects as such and pay stuff all for full comprehensive whilst they are being built in your garage.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Return to “Open Slather”