Jindabyne / Alpine region what to see & do??

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
sven '2'
General Member

Jindabyne / Alpine region what to see & do??

Post by sven '2' » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I am going to Canberra in a month's time for a conference.

Am hiring a car to travel to Wodonga to catch up with some old friends - thought I would make a trip of it and go via Jindabyne, having never been to the high country.

So, on a time poor adventure (2 days?), any tips from the locals? What to see, driving, where to stay etc Bennie, I know you have spent some time there?

Thanks in advance

Sven

PS Skiing does not really interest me
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Been a while since I've been to Jindy - end of 2003 from memory!

Things to research - park passes. I don't know what the go is in NSW but an internet search or a phone call or two should get you the results you're after.

Chains - dunno if they're a requirement to carry into that area but I would just to be sure - the Vic police love pulling over NSW plated cars and fining them for not carrying chains, something that's compulsory in Vic alpine areas.

The other thing to check is your hire company's insurance policy as most will not hire you a vehicle if they know you're headed up to the high country. I heard in 2010 when I was a holiday booking consultant at Hotham that Europcar in Albury hired Subaru foresters with snow chains as a package for the high country trips. I don't know if this still stands though.

I think Jindy would be a good start to check out the high country, but really, and I'm a bit biased, Hotham is more of a mountainous area and really gives you the feel of being in the high country. And the drive up there - you'd love it! It really makes you feel like you're climbing up a mountain.

Then think that in good conditions I've managed that run in about 32 minutes in a lifted front wheel drive EJ'd L series. Good times!

I hope you get up to the snow one way or another, it's a great experience. Rug up with the trick of layering - wear your best thermals etc. I'm sure you'll love it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 am

Your mission will be to locate the Subaru rally guy in that region who fitted Vortex running gear and interior into an L wagon.

NSW Parks and Wildlife - Kozzy Nat Park must have guides/website info. Not been near in about 15 years and seem to recall why Winter Street Jindabyne is so named :D

purp

Post by purp » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 pm

In winter the alpine way is closed west of threadbo, which means the drive from Jindabyne to Wodonga becomes about 400kms (rather then 250ish).

Having said that, going from Canberra to Wodonga, how much road you see will come down to how much time/petrol money you have. If you go all the way down to Jindi/Threadbo you'll have to back track a little, but the Snowy Mountains Hwy from Cooma-Tumut is pretty nice, with plenty of "stuff" to see along the way depending on what you are interested in ( and assume it doesn't happen to be snowing...

Re: chains - I think NSW still say you don't need them in a 4WD? Although thy were going to change that? Either way, if he hire company can't supply them you should be able to get some in the 'Berra ( assuming you are coming back).

purp

Post by purp » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Looks like I might have jumped the gun - it appears the Apline way isn't necessarily closed in winter, although you'll wanna check that on the NSW RTA website on the day.

Return to “Open Slather”